First Audax - what to expect...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm sorry but I can't help with the GPS question - I do however have an entry in for the event and know it well. It was my first ever audax in 2010 and I have done it multiple times since then. The route itself is fairly straightforward and should be relatively easy to follow from the routesheet if you have GPS problems and there is no-one else around to ride with. I will be on a beaten up Genesis Croix de Fer and will happily provide guided tours ^_^

The only things that I can think of to add to what others have said is that there will almost certainly be tea/coffee and biscuits available at the start and there will be a good spread at the finish. Although Burrough Hill is the most prominent climb it is just a long steady drag - I have always found the choppy countryside towards the end after Cranoe more of a challenge - probably because I am more tired by then. Please note that final info will probably not be sent out until the week before the event after route checks have been completed.

@13 rider I was talking to the organiser on Sunday and he reckoned that they are almost full so don't delay in getting your entry in if you want a place!

This was from a mate doing a preliminary route check a couple of weeks ago:

1706015071854.png

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I'm sorry but I can't help with the GPS question - I do however have an entry in for the event and know it well. It was my first ever audax in 2010 and I have done it multiple times since then. The route itself is fairly straightforward and should be relatively easy to follow from the routesheet if you have GPS problems and there is no-one else around to ride with. I will be on a beaten up Genesis Croix de Fer and will happily provide guided tours ^_^

The only things that I can think of to add to what others have said is that there will almost certainly be tea/coffee and biscuits available at the start and there will be a good spread at the finish. Although Burrough Hill is the most prominent climb it is just a long steady drag - I have always found the choppy countryside towards the end after Cranoe more of a challenge - probably because I am more tired by then. Please note that final info will probably not be sent out until the week before the event after route checks have been completed.

@13 rider I was talking to the organiser on Sunday and he reckoned that they are almost full so don't delay in getting your entry in if you want a place!

This was from a mate doing a preliminary route check a couple of weeks ago:

View attachment 719624

Looks great, thanks for the info.
Look out for me on the day.

This is me - I'll be on my Specialized Allez.
I'll be the one on my own looking completely lost, wondering what's going on.
I'll be glad for the company, so give me a shout.
Maz.PNG

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'll be the one on my own looking completely lost, wondering what's going on.

You won't be the only one. Trust me.
In regards to the company. Some riders like to chat on the route and some like to ride on their own. You get a feel for which as you are riding. But no one knows you are doing your first Audax and you don't know who is also doing their first Audax. So no need to worry about it.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

UPDATE:
I noticed that the route which I uploaded from the organiser's page also includes the cue sheet.
Hopefully these instructions will appear while I'm riding (fingers crossed).
IMG_20240125_222202.jpg

the_craig

Über Member
A timely thread - cheers to the OP for creating it.

I've signed up for my first and second Audax (Audices? Audaxes?) this year after a couple years of ummming and awwwing about whether to try one out.

First one is the 200km Och Hills! in May from Fife around Stirlingshire and Perthshire with plenty of climbing. Second is another 200km Talla Ho! around the Scottish Borders. Right now, I'm looking at decent lights and how to ensure my garmin head unit will last the event. I'm really excited to push myself over the longer distances and try roads I don't usually ride on. It should be a good tear.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do I need to take a bike lock with me? For Café stops and what have you.

I would. Get a small cafe lock that fits in your pocket or saddle pack.
I never leave my bikes unlocked whatever the situation or ride.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've seen people use locks like that and have a key version myself. It lies flat so can be easier (low volume and weight) to carry than an alternative. Compared to all the expensive bikes outside a control I normally rely on the 'not worth nicking' lock (but if I succumb to the Ti frame attraction (beard not obligatory) I may adopt the 'always' mantra @ianrauk has shared.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Is there some way of mounting the route sheet (see attachment) to the handlebar so I can see the route at-a-glance?
I'd have to protect it against wet weather of course.

Attachments

• Rutland and Beyond Route Sheet 2023.pdf
    124.1 KB · Views: 11

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Mazz - I used to use an A6 clipboard tie-strapped to the stem, which did the trick, but haven't recently.

These days I just use a basic Garmin 200. It works fine, except in the Eureka 200 when it got waterlogged so I needed the paper copy which was in my back pocket. Only my lights had also got water-logged and failed, so I couldn't see to read it in the dark!

Last edited:
Top Bottom