Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Second proper ride with the PM tonight and my FTP has gone from 251W to 256W. Not sure what to make of that really - I was hoping for more to be honest. Maybe next week.

Great to share the road with so many other CCers this evening after a lonely few weeks in the IRL league! Really enjoyed chasing people down, and I made sure to wave at the two CCers I passed :smile:

It was nice to have an opportunity to post a few silly comments, but didn’t see anyone else doing the same so not sure if comments were actually visible?! Think I may have been typing into an echo chamber :laugh:
Too knackered to type mate ... that was hard. I could maybe of paced it slightly better to knock off a few more seconds, but I think that was pretty much my best effort tonight. 20 minutes at 237 watts which is very close to my recent best of 241 And for a flat course too so quite chuffed with that.

steverob

Guru
My video of the race:

View: https://youtu.be/kuUelwvLcag
Managed to overtake 9 D riders in the end, but as some slots had two riders go off simultaneously for some reason, I have no idea of how much time ahead some of those guys started.

Very pleased with my average of 249W - I'd worked out pre-ride that I should aim for 250W, because if I hit that at the 20 minute mark, 95% of that would be dead on 2.5 w/kg, so I'd still be a legitimate D. Having said that, I didn't have much choice in the matter - I absolutely left every ounce of effort out there and don't think I could have given a single watt more even if I'd wanted to.

Also a little shocked when I crossed the line and it showed I had beaten Joffey. I had the Companion app open on the Zwifters page for most of the ride and whenever I checked the gap, he was typically showing as being just slightly above or below 3 minutes ahead of me, and as he started 2 1/2 ahead, I assumed he was pulling away. Would be interesting to compare splits to see where we differed.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Congrats @steverob! I thought I might have done just enough to keep you at bay but you did me!

I tried the old trick of entering as late as possible to get a late start time, left it until 15 mins to go... ended up 2nd on the grid :laugh:

I overtook Frank (my main rival in the series) who was off first after about half a mile and that was my race done. No other D riders overtook me so I thought I was safe... I was not! Lol

Turned out I've also invented a way to get the effects of a rocker board but without having a rocker board. You simply don't check how tight your QR skewer is and set off on a ride!

View: https://youtu.be/waP1YDXqwks

I thought that my bike was a bit keen to lean over to the left side! I spent the entire TT leaning over to the right trying to keep it stable :laugh: I suppose that could have been nasty - so kids, always check your QR!!!!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
How was the finish line for everyone? Did you all see the blue line as normal? I got to the stone arch and my counter was saying 0.5km to go and the finish screen came up so I stopped pushing thinking that was the end. Maybe I should have pushed on further though?? A bit confusing.

Joffey

Big Dosser
My video of the race:

Managed to overtake 9 D riders in the end, but as some slots had two riders go off simultaneously for some reason, I have no idea of how much time ahead some of those guys started.

Very pleased with my average of 249W - I'd worked out pre-ride that I should aim for 250W, because if I hit that at the 20 minute mark, 95% of that would be dead on 2.5 w/kg, so I'd still be a legitimate D. Having said that, I didn't have much choice in the matter - I absolutely left every ounce of effort out there and don't think I could have given a single watt more even if I'd wanted to.

Also a little shocked when I crossed the line and it showed I had beaten Joffey. I had the Companion app open on the Zwifters page for most of the ride and whenever I checked the gap, he was typically showing as being just slightly above or below 3 minutes ahead of me, and as he started 2 1/2 ahead, I assumed he was pulling away. Would be interesting to compare splits to see where we differed.

I knew it would be close! I went steady on Sectors 1 & 2 averaging about 255 watts, gave it some beans in S3 and averaged about 280 watts, entered S4 and dropped it back to 250 watts hoping that would be enough. Unfortunately it wasn't!!

Well done mate :okay:

Oh, spotted that Jason B is back in Cat D... we should pay him a visit one Monday night in the DBR Monday night race! :laugh:

steverob

Guru
Congrats @steverob! I thought I might have done just enough to keep you at bay but you did me!

I tried the old trick of entering as late as possible to get a late start time, left it until 15 mins to go... ended up 2nd on the grid :laugh:
I think you may have inherited my old spot! I was second to sign up originally and while it said 19:00 on the app, it could well have actually been 15 or 30 seconds past the hour. But then I dropped out at about 3pm and re-signed up an hour later and it gave me 19:03, with just one person behind me (and he joined pretty late).

Oh, spotted that Jason B is back in Cat D... we should pay him a visit one Monday night in the DBR Monday night race! :laugh:
He PM'd me just after the start of the race (I think you can see it on the video above), so I thought maybe he was also in the event, but I can't see his name down in the results. I did a quick reply back, but that's all.

Ketty

Über Member
My video of the race:

Was nice to ride with you @steverob :okay:

Attachments

• 1ECD3904-0C41-4B8F-9E85-CBB701B12C7D.png
    1ECD3904-0C41-4B8F-9E85-CBB701B12C7D.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 5

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
How was the finish line for everyone? Did you all see the blue line as normal? I got to the stone arch and my counter was saying 0.5km to go and the finish screen came up so I stopped pushing thinking that was the end. Maybe I should have pushed on further though?? A bit confusing.

Wasn’t easy at all tonight. Mentally even as much as physically. I think I went out too fast and by the turn I wasn’t closing the gap to the guy who started in front of me. In the 2nd half Every time I caught a rider my mind told me to ease up and my legs obeyed 😅

And then that finish. Wtf!

Firstly I saw a chequered marker on the map roughly where the race finish line is. I was convinced it was the finish line despite something like 3km to go showing. I went z5 for what I thought was the last minute ...and then no results and clock kept ticking. I was done anyway so I cruised for the remainder. Maybe that’s why it’s called tick tock. Lastly the km to go got to 0 and still no results screen. Disappointed with my performance but I don’t think the finish line debacle made much difference for my overall position.

Also disappointed that Zwift haven’t addressed this issue. GP Llama did a video review the day the TT mode was first introduced and he experienced a similar issue with the finish line. Also same issue seeing riders Who are approaching you on their return leg on the rider list - That is over a year ago. Come on Eric sort it !

steverob

Guru
Was nice to ride with you @steverob :okay:
I had been watching you in the Riders Nearby list getting closer and closer for a good 3 miles or so, but I was busy chasing down M.Parker (the last D I still had a chance to overtake), so I set myself a challenge - see if I could make my overtake before you caught me. You just got there about 30 seconds before I made it, but it certainly helped me keep my pace high - I can struggle with my power slowly drifting downwards towards the ends of these sorts of efforts if my concentration starts to slip, but having a target to aim for always helps.

Firstly I saw a chequered marker on the map roughly where the race finish line is. I was convinced it was the finish line despite something like 3km to go showing. I went z5 for what I thought was the last minute ...and then no results and clock kept ticking. I was done anyway so I cruised for the remainder. Maybe that’s why it’s called tick tock. Lastly the km to go got to 0 and still no results screen. Disappointed with my performance but I don’t think the finish line debacle made much difference for my overall position.
I suppose I was lucky in a way that I'd done this course as a TT before, so I knew you had to go through the arch essentially three times to finish the race. Once quite near the start, then again on the way back, before going round the final loop and crossing it again in the forward direction. If you're not aware of that, it's very easy to think the second pass is where the race should end (especially if you do a sprint for the line and it turns out not to be the finish).

bridgy

Legendary Member
Wasn’t easy at all tonight. Mentally even as much as physically. I think I went out too fast and by the turn I wasn’t closing the gap to the guy who started in front of me. In the 2nd half Every time I caught a rider my mind told me to ease up and my legs obeyed 😅

And then that finish. Wtf!

Also disappointed that Zwift haven’t addressed this issue. GP Llama did a video review the day the TT mode was first introduced and he experienced a similar issue with the finish line. Also same issue seeing riders Who are approaching you on their return leg on the rider list - That is over a year ago. Come on Eric sort it !
I also got confused by the finish line thing (and the distance - I thought it was 18km but is turned out to be about 20). But despite backing off briefly once when I thought I'd finished but hadn't, I mostly kept going. Comparing our Tempus Fugit segments on Strava it looks like you lost about 30 seconds to me (and presumably most of the other riders) in that last mile or so when you cruised to the end - I was only around 10 seconds ahead of you up to that point. Hard luck Al, that's frustrating for you.

Edited to add: Looking at strava I now see why the finish was confusing - we went over the finish line in one direction, looped round to double back on ourselves and passed over it again from the other direction - not sure why the course is designed that way!

Last edited:
Top Bottom