Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
It does. And it's a great frame. But ...... i took it back today for a refund :crazy: When looking for wheels last night I noticed the price difference between the spec bike I had and others online. Anyway, short story, the guys held their hands up and said they'd priced it wrong and apologised profusely but, by then I'd given up on the bike was half way back to the shop to get a refund. Honest mistake, but has made me realise I jumped a little too fast yesterday and compromised on what I actually wanted. So taking a breather and going to re-look at the various bikes and make a more informed choice.

Wife is a little sad as she wanted to buy me a dream bike, but I think also pleased that I'm not settling.

Doh!

Well done for going with your gut mate. There’s a lot to be said for that. Do you have another frame in mind?

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Doh!

Well done for going with your gut mate. There’s a lot to be said for that. Do you have another frame in mind?
The frame i like, but should have held out for full celeste blue rather than black/blue. I went there expecting to get Ultegra and wanted better wheels. In my head, the only choice was Di2 or not ... but when got to the shop they had the Potenza XR3 on show and I let myself get carried away.

Epic online do an XR3, Ultegra disc with Hunt 50 for 4700 (or Di2 for 5500).

I could probably get the 2019 model for a bit less.

Just need to step away for a few days and decide this is really what I want.

kipster

Guru
The frame i like, but should have held out for full celeste blue rather than black/blue. I went there expecting to get Ultegra and wanted better wheels. In my head, the only choice was Di2 or not ... but when got to the shop they had the Potenza XR3 on show and I let myself get carried away.

Epic online do an XR3, Ultegra disc with Hunt 50 for 4700 (or Di2 for 5500).

I could probably get the 2019 model for a bit less.

Just need to step away for a few days and decide this is really what I want.
Depends what sizes left in stock of 2019 models. I know there is nothing in my size in any uk shop or the factory in Italy. What size frame do you need.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Check bianchibikes.co.uk they have some 53 with ultegra (disc and non disc, but only non disc in the colour you prefer).

The 2019 xr3 was mainly black, although was available in Celeste in Europe. https://italianbikes.nl/product/23562/ in 1d colour (Celeste / black ) in a 53.

2019 catalogue https://issuu.com/mtb-vco.com/docs/catalogo_bianchi_2019

First thing you do if you get this model, order this bottom bracket https://www.hopetech.com/products/drivetrain/bottom-bracket/press-fit-pf41-bottom-bracket/

kipster

Guru
Why? Whilst the Shimano one fitted may not be the best, it's more than adequate. I suspect the bike will not be used in all weathers so unlikely to get any water ingress. Most other creaks appear to be related to frame / bearing tolerances, I've not heard any chatter within the Bianchi owners club regarding issues with BB creaks on this model. My own Bianchi with pf30 BB, is still on the original BB bearings at nearly three years and probably over 10k miles.

Whorty

Why? Whilst the Shimano one fitted may not be the best, it's more than adequate. I suspect the bike will not be used in all weathers so unlikely to get any water ingress. Most other creaks appear to be related to frame / bearing tolerances, I've not heard any chatter within the Bianchi owners club regarding issues with BB creaks on this model. My own Bianchi with pf30 BB, is still on the original BB bearings at nearly three years and probably over 10k miles.
Ha ha ... you know me well. Very unlikely to be out there very often in the wet :laugh:

Reason for wanting the disc version, which i completely forgot when I was at County Cycles when being distracted by the shiny, shiny, was the ability to fit 28 tyres and not just the standard 25s. Roads around here are rough as fook so anything to help with that has to be good!

I think what I should have gone for is :

XR3 in celeste
Ultegra mechanical disc with 50/34 11/32 gearing
Sexy deep rim wheels (Hunt 50 seem an option but I need to look at DT Swiss too - anyone got any views?)

I won't be able to get out that often, maybe only once or twice a month, so worried that having Di2 will result in me forgetting to charge up before a ride :banghead:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Ha ha ... you know me well. Very unlikely to be out there very often in the wet :laugh:

Reason for wanting the disc version, which i completely forgot when I was at County Cycles when being distracted by the shiny, shiny, was the ability to fit 28 tyres and not just the standard 25s. Roads around here are rough as fook so anything to help with that has to be good!

I think what I should have gone for is :

XR3 in celeste
Ultegra mechanical disc with 50/34 11/32 gearing
Sexy deep rim wheels (Hunt 50 seem an option but I need to look at DT Swiss too - anyone got any views?)

I won't be able to get out that often, maybe only once or twice a month, so worried that having Di2 will result in me forgetting to charge up before a ride :banghead:

you can get 50mm wheels cheaper and just as good as the hunts. You are paying for marketing, team support and an element of back up service.

Whorty

you can get 50mm wheels cheaper and just as good as the hunts. You are paying for marketing, team support and an element of back up service.
Just saw the link off Andy :eek: Much cheaper than Hunt 👍 I think it's been quite obvious this weekend I'm as dumb as a post when it comes to bike tech so no idea what i'm looking for,or how to spot good from bad :wacko:

Stoopid question .... if I bought these wheels off ebay, would they be ready to use straight away (obviously once a cassette is fitted) or do they need something done to them?

kipster

Guru
The wheels are an after market upgrade so don't worry about them as you can get what you want after you've got the bike. Plus you then have a spare set. The gearing concerns me the most, it comes with 52/36 and 11-28. To go 32 you may need a medium cage derailure , although I don't know much about Shimano. I think you'll be ok with 52/36 with a 32 on the back.

Top Bottom