Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A beautiful day for the last outing of the year, we have managed somehow to ride over 200 miles since Christmas Day. I have posted this photo elsewhere, it sort of summed up the kind of ride we had today. Safe and healthy New Year to all.
98A71378-E799-451B-B950-0E64151E391C_zpszchfwnha.jpg

Today was meant to be cold (3°c) but mainly dry, not too windy, with scattered showers. A fine day for completing my Imperial Century a Month challenge!

Unfortunately, the weather forecast was very wrong, and worse, there was no mention of the very high humidity or really unusual temperature inversion lying over the entire Tay valley.

IMG_20151231_095310.jpg

I was fine for the first 8 miles or so, then it started to rain heavily, so I gritted my teeth and continued. Then it started to snow. Even then I was still OK. It was when I descended Kinnoul Hill and rode through standing water that I got properly wet, particularly my feet and legs. With the humidity so high, the wind chill really started to bite, and my temperature plummeted.

A big traffic jam in Perth meant that my route was not doable, and with starting to really suffer from the elements, I doubled back, thinking to have a pit stop at home on mile 31, change clothing, warm back up and go on a different route.

I got back in good time, but as soon as I stepped off the bike I knew that it was finished, and was actually far colder and wetter than I had thought whilst on the bike and was starting to show the first symptoms of exposure.

I should be gutted to have failed the Imperial Century a Month Challenge on the very last day, but I can take solace in the fact that it was the correct decision to abandon.

Strava Link: https://www.strava.com/activities/459910531

Well got the festive 500 and the 10,000kms for the year done despite some technical issues.

Got going in fine but windy weather only to find the pause kicking in and out again despite it working ok yesterday when I checked:rolleyes:

After some faffing about I had to disconnect the sensor from the garmin and do a re-set so I had some idea how far I'll be going,relying on the gps to have recorded the first part accurately.

The ride itself was a route used for the club rides with a little bit at the beginning(which ended up being the first part) and the end;nice ride and if it was any other day I may have gone on to do a few more kms.

Not enough in the end for the MTS but that was not the main goal so in the end pleased with the ride and no more now until next week for some commutes.

1st part;

https://www.strava.com/activities/460007510

Part 2;
https://www.strava.com/activities/460007602

Happy new year all:cheers:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
and was starting to show the first symptoms of exposure.

I should be gutted to have failed the Imperial Century a Month Challenge on the very last day, but I can take solace in the fact that it was the correct decision to abandon.

One of the symptoms of exposure is your decision making goes to pot - walkers have been known to remove layers of clothing as they trudge onwards, getting more and more unwell.

You've done well to spot the early onset and done even better to act correctly upon it.

One of the symptoms of exposure is your decision making goes to pot - walkers have been known to remove layers of clothing as they trudge onwards, getting more and more unwell.

You've done well to spot the early onset and done even better to act correctly upon it.
Yeah, it was only because of the traffic jam that I turned back. I felt able to continue so long as I could pedal (but oddly, freewheeling felt awful).

I was starting to feel better as I approached home after hoofing it on the flat. "Hey my feet aren't cold any more!"

Thankfully I knew that cold wet feet don't get warm on their own. When I took my shoes off, my socks were saturated and my feet were icy cold to touch!
The rest of me wasn't much better...:cold:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Today was meant to be cold (3°c) but mainly dry, not too windy, with scattered showers. A fine day for completing my Imperial Century a Month challenge!

Unfortunately, the weather forecast was very wrong, and worse, there was no mention of the very high humidity or really unusual temperature inversion lying over the entire Tay valley.

View attachment 114540
I was fine for the first 8 miles or so, then it started to rain heavily, so I gritted my teeth and continued. Then it started to snow. Even then I was still OK. It was when I descended Kinnoul Hill and rode through standing water that I got properly wet, particularly my feet and legs. With the humidity so high, the wind chill really started to bite, and my temperature plummeted.

A big traffic jam in Perth meant that my route was not doable, and with starting to really suffer from the elements, I doubled back, thinking to have a pit stop at home on mile 31, change clothing, warm back up and go on a different route.

I got back in good time, but as soon as I stepped off the bike I knew that it was finished, and was actually far colder and wetter than I had thought whilst on the bike and was starting to show the first symptoms of exposure.

A tough decision to make but we'd rather that than hear you'd had to be rescued.

Going to try again next year?

A tough decision to make but we'd rather that than hear you'd had to be rescued.

Going to try again next year?
The decision was super easy once i got off the bike, as I literally couldn't continue!

Undecided about next year. The challenge has an odd effect on my riding habits. Makes me far less inclined to go on smaller rides, but conversely jolts me out of complacency (hence the several last day-of-the-month qualifying rides I posted)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The decision was super easy once i got off the bike, as I literally couldn't continue!

Undecided about next year. The challenge has an odd effect on my riding habits. Makes me far less inclined to go on smaller rides, but conversely jolts me out of complacency (hence the several last day-of-the-month qualifying rides I posted)
It's good to have targets, but not at any cost!
If you know that you made the right decision, then it was the right decision you made...(if that makes sense!)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've not had a chance to post any of my rides here recently.. W*rk and life seems to have got in the way due to pre-Christmas thingies!

Anyways, here we go for today's ride, posted today!

I sent out a txt alert at 23:45 last night to some mates meet at one of our usual spots at 10:00 this morning... One reply at 08:00, one at 10:35 and one at 19:42.. :laugh:

Oh well, Bob and I met up and set off for a few muddy, wet and windy miles from the Windhover Pub to get to the Waterloo Cafe about 15 miles away.. Sadly, when we arrived, wet, muddy and hungry, it was closed. There was an emergency number posted on the window and we were actually tempted to ring it and order coffee and cake!!

The ride there, and back though, was exceedingly wet. The sun was shining from the sky, but after last nights rain, the trail was decidedly mucky!

DSC_3099.JPG

Never mind, eh!?! Pitsford Cafe is always open, so we headed back the way we came, via Creaton Hill to Brixworth.. I was pushing into the headwind with a vengeance as Bob had reminded me that it was his turn to pay! :okay:

DSC_3102.JPG

Wedges and coffee today :hungry:

After some pedalling up and down the trail, it was pointed out to me that my back was a bit muddy.. so a pic was taken to prove the point.

DSC_3091.JPG

Yep. Definitely muddy, with a backpack shaped clean bit! :laugh:

Anyways... 40 and a bit miles ridden on a generally pleasant day, apart from a headwind on the way back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/459988592

:smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I've not had a chance to post any of my rides here recently.. W*rk and life seems to have got in the way due to pre-Christmas thingies!

Anyways, here we go for today's ride, posted today!

I sent out a txt alert at 23:45 last night to some mates meet at one of our usual spots at 10:00 this morning... One reply at 08:00, one at 10:35 and one at 19:42.. :laugh:

Oh well, Bob and I met up and set off for a few muddy, wet and windy miles from the Windhover Pub to get to the Waterloo Cafe about 15 miles away.. Sadly, when we arrived, wet, muddy and hungry, it was closed. There was an emergency number posted on the window and we were actually tempted to ring it and order coffee and cake!!

The ride there, and back though, was exceedingly wet. The sun was shining from the sky, but after last nights rain, the trail was decidedly mucky!

View attachment 114563

Never mind, eh!?! Pitsford Cafe is always open, so we headed back the way we came, via Creaton Hill to Brixworth.. I was pushing into the headwind with a vengeance as Bob had reminded me that it was his turn to pay! :okay:

View attachment 114564

Wedges and coffee today :hungry:

After some pedalling up and down the trail, it was pointed out to me that my back was a bit muddy.. so a pic was taken to prove the point.

View attachment 114565

Yep. Definitely muddy, with a backpack shaped clean bit! :laugh:

Anyways... 40 and a bit miles ridden on a generally pleasant day, apart from a headwind on the way back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/459988592

:smile:
Laughted out loud at the 'clean bit' pic. Hubster looking at me a bit strangely now.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/460315782/segments/11072924316

Right, that's me done for the year.
The scores on the door are:
Annual total: 2656 exactly
Annual target: 2000. A 33% overcooking of it. :wahhey:
According to Strava I've done 90% of climbing Everest. According to my Garmin, I've done it twice at least. Didn't join Strava until 6 July so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Home to Hospital again, with a small detour through Felixstowe for the hell of it. 41 seconds up Convalescence Hill AGAIN! That's 3 lots of 41 seconds. Must try harder then next lady in front of me is at 26 seconds so I only need to find 6 seconds over 100 yards. I'll try it on the roadie instead of the CX.
Anyway, brilliant ride to the Hospital but I just ran out of legs up Bixley Road and stopped for a breather. I felt a bit sick actually. The last time I felt sick was riding up Anchor Road in Stoke. Not much of a hill but more of a proper one than flipping Bixley, for heaven's sake.

Felt better by the time I got to the hospital so had a crack at that 'late for work' segment. Absolutely flew down there - twice. Once with some Elvis Costello, once with some Noel Gallagher. Looked at the Strava and I'm still well out of touch. Looked at Strava a bit harder and had a lightbulb moment - or a :banghead: depending on your viewpoint. I'm thundering from Dialysis to Roundabout direction. Bloody segment is from Roundabout end to Dialysis end. I am such a dozy mare, it's untrue. Sunday then.

16.05 tonight, on Eric the CX, puddle hopping as we went. 1:05 and change.
Start all over again tomorrow :tongue:

Top Bottom