Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Highlight of today's ride was being abused by a fellow cyclist! I have stopped for a drink and bite to eat so leave my bike off the path on the grass / weeds. It's a relatively wide path and I standing the other side of the fence out of the way.

A bloke comes past on a flat bar bike, perhaps mid thirties, has all the gear on etc, I says "ok mate" to which he replied sarcastically "f--king great place to stop" implying that I was blocking his route

IMG_20240903_104518137_HDR.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A shorter ride today at just under 19 miles, but made up for that with the amount of upness. Started my ride in the carpark of the Balmacara Woods on the banks of Loch Alsh and, out of curiosity nipped down to the shoreline first.
P1050671.JPG

That meant having to climb straight back up again, which came as a little shock to the system ... as did the next few miles. I first had to cross the busy A87 before riding through the woods to Balmacara Square. So far so good. Then I hung a left in the direction of Duirinish and the road immediately kicked up over the rocky "Plock" headland. I stuck with it for the best part of 3/4 mile before having to do the walk of shame for a few hundred yards. Too early in a ride for that sort of effort. I soon remounted and managed the rest of the way to Duirinish just fine, though it was pretty lumpy to say the least. Lovely wild, rocky scenery with ferns and rowan trees and occasional sea and mountain views.
P1050674.JPG

I had hoped to encounter the highland cattle in Duirinish but, like the last couple of times we have been up here, they were not on the road today.
P1050675.JPG

I worked my way round the Plock towards Kyle of Lochalsh, clocking some great views of the island of Raasay:
P1050679.JPG

Then came across this unusual view of the Skye Road Bridge, looking fiercely steep from this angle:
P1050682.JPG

Once I got into Kyle of Lochalsh I got a more conventional view of it, with the mountains of Skye in the background:
P1050684.JPG

It doesn't look so steep in that shot. It felt it though, after I got the sudden urge to cross onto Skye and back again on the spur of the moment.
This next shot was taken in the harbour of Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye. Not the best of pictures, but I realised it was my only gratuitous bike shot:
P1050690.JPG

I returned back to the car by a similar, though not identical route, initially following the shore around the Plock but then taking the first turn for Balmacara instead of retracing my way through Duirinish. The idea was to avoid the busy A87 and the hilly parts of the outward route. I might have avoided the traffic and got some nice views going in the opposite direction ....
P1050695.JPG

.... but I certainly didn't avoid the hills. Only the 18.8 miles, but I'm going to ache after this one. I was certainly puffing a bit by the time I hit the final downhill to Balmacara Square and the only bit of flat road through the lovely Balmacara Woods:
P1050697.JPG

Should get one more ride in around here before we move on to Dumfries and Galloway on our way home. BTW, apart from Monday, the weather has been the exact opposite of the rainmageddon predicted by the BBC. Lovely sunshine again today.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Back from a few days away without the bike and so was keen to get out before work next week. Woke up to grey skies and a strong NE wind which suggested a sheltered route would be the best option. I chose to head northward into the wind knowing I’d get a push on the return and aimed for the Lyth valley. I paused at the river Kent which had a good flow as it cut through its rock bed channel and saw a grey wagtail. I climbed up passed the entrance to Sizergh Castle and on to Brigsteer where the views across the lakes began to appear. I broke from my planned route and climbed the escarpment up to Helsington Church where I was rewarded with some really clear views to the Coniston horseshoe. Worth the 25% sections! Then I looped around the valley for lunch at Levens shop. Despite the heavy cloud it stayed dry as I was pushed by a sympathetic wind through the Arnside and Silverdale AONB. 85 km with 805 m of climbing.

Pictures are of river Kent, the home of the Lyth Valley’s biggest geranium fan, and the view across to Coniston from Helsington.

IMG_0716.jpeg

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_0722.jpeg

Chislenko

Veteran
Back from a few days away without the bike and so was keen to get out before work next week. Woke up to grey skies and a strong NE wind which suggested a sheltered route would be the best option. I chose to head northward into the wind knowing I’d get a push on the return and aimed for the Lyth valley. I paused at the river Kent which had a good flow as it cut through its rock bed channel and saw a grey wagtail. I climbed up passed the entrance to Sizergh Castle and on to Brigsteer where the views across the lakes began to appear. I broke from my planned route and climbed the escarpment up to Helsington Church where I was rewarded with some really clear views to the Coniston horseshoe. Worth the 25% sections! Then I looped around the valley for lunch at Levens shop. Despite the heavy cloud it stayed dry as I was pushed by a sympathetic wind through the Arnside and Silverdale AONB. 85 km with 805 m of climbing.

Pictures are of river Kent, the home of the Lyth Valley’s biggest geranium fan, and the view across to Coniston from Helsington.

View attachment 744021

View attachment 744022

View attachment 744023

Seems a shame to have such a lovely little cottage with a nice geranium display marred by a wheelie bin!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Just the 20.7 miles today, and those were very easy ones. I parked up near the end of Loch Duich and just rode the old road around the end of the loch at Morvich (instead of the causeway), then hopped onto the A87 through Shiel Bridge for no more than a mile before taking the beautifully quiet and flat lane alongside the far side of the loch, through Ratagan and Letterfearn to the point where the public road ends, just opposite Eilean Donan Castle before doing a straight re-trace back to the car. Some lovely early morning light brought the best out of the views, lighting up the opposite bank on the way out, then adding a sheen to the loch on the way back. Some photos:
P1050717.JPG

P1050721.JPG

P1050725.JPG

P1050730.JPG

P1050733.JPG

P1050734.JPG

Towards the end of the ride there were a few wildlife bonuses too. Plenty of herons, but they all flew away as I got close. Then got chased by a French Bulldog until its owner shouted "Leave it!". For once I took no objection to being called "it". Then I got this nice shot of a flock of geese taking off (in the direction of Mohamed Al Makhtoum's highland residence):
P1050736.JPG

Riding around the end of the loch again at Morvich I looked closely to see if I could get another sight of the magnificent stag that I reported in the "Your day's wildlife" thread yesterday. As luck would have it, he was still there, even though all the other deer are said to be high in the hills at the moment. He couldn't be bothered to stand straight and look at me, so this shot (into the sun) was the best I could get today:
P1050737.JPG

As I got back to the car, I met an elderly local gentleman out for a constitutional with the aid of a walking stick. He was about a mile from home and must have been well into his 80's but said he walks there most days when the weather is nice. We had a chat about the weather and the wildlife and he ended the conversation with "Nice talking to you, laddie"! (I am nearly 64, so it has been a while since anyone called me anything like that). Another truly memorable ride up in Inverinate, bringing my total to just over 74 miles in 3 rides this week ... all in ridiculously good weather. My last ride here, as we head back Southwards tomorrow.

Lol, I maybe made that harder it should have been. My rear tyre felt a little soft but given I thought it would be more of a social ride I thought with it being a 32mm tyre it would be OK and I’d opt for comfort. Just me and another mate turned up. He usually sits at the back and has brief flurries of being really strong but today he was strong the whole ride (or at least the part I done with him).

The inside of my elbows ache still (perhaps I should have worn full arm warmers, rather than arm skins) and perhaps I haven’t got fully over last weeks flu (although I sweated it out over night my stomach wasn’t solid until yesterday) but when he said he needed to get home, I opted for a coffee stop (I think my elbows would have given out completely the way I was feeling).

Needless to say when you include the full ride (including solo bits) the ride average is less.

Kinda reassuringly, when I finally mustered a pressure check I had 40psi front/ 30 psi back which probably pushed me over the edge.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I took advantage of the second decent day on the trot and headed to the Lakes. I needed a bit of train assist to Grange over Sands from where I set off along the prom and up the hill to Cartmel in glorious sunshine. I negotiated the crossing of the A590 at Newby Bridge which was gridlocked and escaped onto quiet back roads to Coniston. I took my favourite road up the east shore of the lake and was horrified by the number of cars, pop up campsites and paddle boarders enjoying the weather. I didnt linger and pulled up Hawkshead hill then up the hill to Grizedale before lunch at the forest visitor centre. Lots of electric mountain bikes and families out enjoying the weather. Did a loop around to Esthwaite water and then over the Sawreys to the ferry acr Windermere. Lots of bikes waiting for the ferry but I was the only one without a battery! As I was waiting the clouds started to gather and it cooled down significantly so I was glad to get peddling again up the hill to Winster and then home via Lyth valley. 111 km with 1542 m of climbing.

Pictures of prom in Grange, Coniston x2 and Windermere from ferry house.

IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_0735.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

Cavalol

Legendary Member
'We'll just go round Beeston (Cheshire) and through Delamere today', said my mate. Something about it not being hilly and an easy route...

hc=SNdm6uo5AxsQ7kNvgEc0_yZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.jpg

(Ignore the bit about it being my 2nd biggest ride, when Strava went haywire on my phone, I set up a second account).

Anyhow, had a brilliant ride out, no sign of the sun and it was overcast, but it meant the temperature was massively cooler than yesterday, so it was just about perfect. 8 or 10 miles in, we were passed by a nice fella on a bike, exchanged good wishes and as he rode off, my mate somehow kicked the rear mech on his own swanky new bike and it was stuck in a fairly high gear, will all the hills to come. We'd planned Chester-Christleton-Waveton-Huxley--Beeston-Oulton Park-Delamere-Chester (via the Shady Oak at Tiverton)

hc=GgQG4fssk2MQ7kNvgGjIcMW&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

hc=SeDrvbomyAQQ7kNvgFpyYVV&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

hc=3bzGf-VestAQ7kNvgEWs8Pm&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

but had to sack the Beeston bit off and detour to Tarporley and then Utkinton to Kelsall Cycles for a running repair. I must name drop the company, as they stopped what they were doing, fixed my mate's bike and even explained what they were doing and how to do it himself if he ever needed to. Exceptional service from them, we went away extremely pleased.

hc=Wyde_ZiBJGMQ7kNvgHPxtj8&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

The bike properly fixed and running like a dream again, from there we went to Oulton Park: MG racing was on, but we had to pay if we wanted to get in (fair enough) and didn't bother as it was only going to be a short stop. We watched a bit through the fence, there were 'modern' (i.e 1998 or something) MG TFs, MG ZRs and the odd MGB GT thrashing round, was very entertaining to watch, even with our restricted view....

hc=NDXOGMs0DEIQ7kNvgEmZQFn&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.jpg

hc=CuIjaSk5QjkQ7kNvgELUN_G&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

hc=n3GAHbGyfPoQ7kNvgHxuVSd&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.jpg

From there (I think) went to Delamere round some cracking roads I'd not tried before in the car or on the bike...

hc=j8Q9MXsIJx0Q7kNvgHr8HxA&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.jpg

Somewhere along the way we got so lost we ended up in Canada...

hc=D20VXs3dUEUQ7kNvgHIu6ZV&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

...so with all the exertions of such a mission, we 'accidentally' fell into the (very good) cafe at Delamere station, before heading back via the paths through the forest (not as bad as expected on a road bike, but I don't recommend it!) then Manley (past the mere), Bridge Trafford, Mickle Trafford and home.

I'm very happy that I didn't push it up any of the hills and some I even got up without stopping. Certain parts were an absolute blast, we were absolutely motoring through short section of the road in Delamere and one or two other places.

It's good riding with mates, not sure about anyone else on here but sometimes as you get older (and lazier in my case) it's hard to motivate myself to do anything more than about 15 miles on my own. Today was lovely, a much harder and longer work out than I expected, but very much worth it.

a.twiddler

Veteran
'We'll just go round Beeston (Cheshire) and through Delamere today', said my mate. Something about it not being hilly and an easy route...

View attachment 744360

(Ignore the bit about it being my 2nd biggest ride, when Strava went haywire on my phone, I set up a second account).

Anyhow, had a brilliant ride out, no sign of the sun and it was overcast, but it meant the temperature was massively cooler than yesterday, so it was just about perfect. 8 or 10 miles in, we were passed by a nice fella on a bike, exchanged good wishes and as he rode off, my mate somehow kicked the rear mech on his own swanky new bike and it was stuck in a fairly high gear, will all the hills to come. We'd planned Chester-Christleton-Waveton-Huxley--Beeston-Oulton Park-Delamere-Chester (via the Shady Oak at Tiverton)

View attachment 744361

View attachment 744362

View attachment 744363

but had to sack the Beeston bit off and detour to Tarporley and then Utkinton to Kelsall Cycles for a running repair. I must name drop the company, as they stopped what they were doing, fixed my mate's bike and even explained what they were doing and how to do it himself if he ever needed to. Exceptional service from them, we went away extremely pleased.

View attachment 744364

The bike properly fixed and running like a dream again, from there we went to Oulton Park: MG racing was on, but we had to pay if we wanted to get in (fair enough) and didn't bother as it was only going to be a short stop. We watched a bit through the fence, there were 'modern' (i.e 1998 or something) MG TFs, MG ZRs and the odd MGB GT thrashing round, was very entertaining to watch, even with our restricted view....

View attachment 744365

View attachment 744366

View attachment 744367

From there (I think) went to Delamere round some cracking roads I'd not tried before in the car or on the bike...

View attachment 744368

Somewhere along the way we got so lost we ended up in Canada...

View attachment 744369

...so with all the exertions of such a mission, we 'accidentally' fell into the (very good) cafe at Delamere station, before heading back via the paths through the forest (not as bad as expected on a road bike, but I don't recommend it!) then Manley (past the mere), Bridge Trafford, Mickle Trafford and home.

I'm very happy that I didn't push it up any of the hills and some I even got up without stopping. Certain parts were an absolute blast, we were absolutely motoring through short section of the road in Delamere and one or two other places.

It's good riding with mates, not sure about anyone else on here but sometimes as you get older (and lazier in my case) it's hard to motivate myself to do anything more than about 15 miles on my own. Today was lovely, a much harder and longer work out than I expected, but very much worth it.

All familiar territory to me. I'm pleased to see others enjoying it too. Sometimes I feel that I ought to be on a retainer from Cheshire tourism but it's not just hype, it really is very enjoyable to go cycling here!

Top Bottom