Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windle

Über Member
Finally a report of a bigger ride (bigger for me, although tiny compared to some on here). For the past three weeks I've parked up in West Auckland after dropping the wife at work and done a ride round the local bike paths through Tindale, then past Shildon, through Redworth and on to Aycliffe before returning the same way. I realised a few weeks ago that some of my bikes have never done a double digit ride as I mainly ride local loops, so made a point to remedy that. This week, despite the over-biked scenario I took my Marlin 7 29er for a run. It's only a short road section out of West Auckland before you pick up the cycle path that runs alongside the bypass then through the as usual very busy Tindale retail park and up the other bypass past Shildon. This is a section that runs behind a few trees and bushes just before the roundabout into the west end of Shildon, most of this runs right alongside the main road but there's a couple of nice secluded sections like this.

GOPR1127.JPG

The other bit of the bypass heading up to The Future Business Park, looking remarkably quiet. I see a couple of riders commuting on this path regularly when I'm going to work this way.
GOPR1130.JPG

Heading down towards Redworth the bike path disappears behind some trees and bushes and ends up on what is I presume the original road, long since bypassed. This bridge is pretty wide to say it's only on a track, giving away it's past. Over the parapet is the culvert that runs under the newer road.
GOPR1132.JPG

I took a detour up a bridleway just before Redworth which comes out on a minor road and then runs round the back into the village. A cracking view back over to The Future Business Park and Shildon behind.
GOPR1135.JPG

The entrance to Redworth Hall hotel, a bit posh for an oik like me that came from a council estate in an ex pit village, I didn't go in :laugh:.
GOPR1137.JPG

Another excellent cycle path running from Heighington down to Aycliffe Industrial Estate, which is one of the biggest in the country in terms of acreage. This path starts on the south side of the road then crosses over just down from here before going behind the line of trees in the distance, all the way down to the roundabout before the railway station. From the road you'd hardly know it existed.
GOPR1138.JPG

I stopped for a brief rest and a cherry Bakewell square on the Darlington bound platform. I'd sat on the other side last week when the Univega was the steed of choice, but I only had a few squashed fly biscuits then. Heading back out of the station, the pub has long since closed. The mainly plain stone building to the right is apparently the oldest surviving railway building in the world (according to the information on the station board), being an original station building from Stockton & Darlington railway's first days.
GOPR1141.JPG

The bike path alongside the railway, I'm heading back Shildon way, the train is for Darlington and eventually Saltburn.
GOPR1142.JPG

Flying Scotsman is back at Locomotion again, although it was pretty quiet today.
GOPR1143.JPG

I retraced my route along the cycle paths back to West Auckland with a detour into the maelstrom of the retail park to see the wife on her afternoon break. A decent ride out with just over 20 miles scored and nearly a thousand feet of climbing. The bike is perfect for such jaunts, being comfortable and pretty quick, although not exactly out of it's comfort zone.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The cumulative effects of another empty day of largely directionless malaise were really making themselves felt by early evening so I went out for a mosey on the Fuji; since the Brompton's in bits and the Ragley grounded until I can touch up the stone chips and get some protection tape on it.

Aware that dusk wasn't too far off I somewhat uncharacteristically aimed for a set, short route on small, hopefully quiet (sometimes off) roads a bit more SW-facing than I've been of late.

While generally shafted by every metric once a few miles had passed everything felt very pleasant - a nice cool evening on small, almost deserted roads with only the rhythmic thrum of the tyres and muted, almost inaudible buzz of the freehub for company thanks to the Fuji's slick recently-waxed drivetrain.

Predictably when I got to the first turn to start the loop home I elected to carry on and push the distance out a bit more. This trend continued and eventually found me passing a decent chippy - I made it past but after a hundred yards the smell drew me back for a bit of fish, which was shortly afterwards consumed sat on the grass at the end of a quiet track as the sun set.

As I returned home along a small,straight, empty road in the fading light, wind at my back, Nils Frahm in my ears I felt I could have been in a trendy, evocative youtube video about the restorative power of cycling :smile:

I'd chucked the rings in one of the Fuji's capacious paniers and after yesterday's less than stellar performance though I'd just bugger about on them for a bit. Managed a static hold for over a minute, did a few supported pullups, a 45-second dead hang passed with relative ease as I was amazed by the grip available when your hands aren't sweaty...

Got back home after maybe 21 miles.. could have got some good shots had I taken the camera, but it was purposefully left behind to avoid distracting / detracting from the ride and giving one more nucleation point for grief.

As always a very welcome escape for a couple of hours, while I feel content to be back at the house and ready for sleep - neither of which would likely have been the case had I stayed in.

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
My new riding buddy is awaiting a knee operation. And wanted to take it slightly easier today after exerting a bit too much on it walking yesterday. Ie: Do a few less than our standard 30’ish mile run.

So I went out super-early and managed 10 miles before we met up. A further 24 miles ensued. And I managed to find him a few spots he’d not seen or been to before 👍

All followed by an ample serving of Bacon Sandwiches at mine to finish 😎

Dry, warm, good company - why would you possibly lounge around in bed of a Sunday Morning 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_4773.jpeg
    IMG_4773.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4767.jpeg
    IMG_4767.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4768.jpeg
    IMG_4768.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4769.jpeg
    IMG_4769.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4770.jpeg
    IMG_4770.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4771.jpeg
    IMG_4771.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4772.jpeg
    IMG_4772.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Tried a different club today which i did a detour to at the start to get extra miles in so 10 miles pre meetup followed by 26 to the cafe at Little Rascals Hatton.Another 19 back to the meet up point then i rode home with another detour to give me the 100 km for the monthly challenge .
I was expecting a bit more of a steady pace so took my retro giant which is nice to ride for a bit hefty for hills so towards the end i was falling off the back of the bunch on hills compared to everyone else who was on new carbon .
Video from you tube about the bike
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQ1PimjpaE

Attachments

• 3Ez-5TfJLpMjdy_Bg_-i-OSUzQmoaXvlmUYWFMciRlk-2048x1536.jpg
    3Ez-5TfJLpMjdy_Bg_-i-OSUzQmoaXvlmUYWFMciRlk-2048x1536.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 15
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Went out yesterday evening to fill some gaps on my veloviewer explorer map. That meant most of my ride was on familiar roads I'd visited previously, but there was a circa 15 mile section where I zigzagged through new tiles. Not completely new - a London to Brighton ride had brought me through there in the 90s, but that was before GPS. Strava or it didn't happen, as they say.

Started off by heading down to Gatwick, and was soon zigzagging under the flightpath, which was busy with a line of planes coming in to land. It was well past midnight - when I was younger the flights stopped between 00:00 and 04:00. Not sure if there's anything similar now; the glare of the runway lights lit up the sky for miles around...
From Gatwick I went roughly East, then North an up the ride of the North Downs. I abandoned my route a bit here, and ended up doing far more climbing than was good for my knees (Which were still fatigued from a hilly ride earlier in the week).

Crossed a familiar Fridays route (the descent from FAthing Down) - except this way was an ascent. That was quite tiring; I was glad it was dark and I couldn't see the top. It does help.
Then went a bit mad with my route and did LOADS more climbing. Was really tiring now, and cold. It had dropped to 10 degrees, and although my arms were covered, my legs were in shorts. Brr!

Every neuron on my brain lit up when I went past a McDonalds and saw someone inside drinking a COFFEE. I screeched to a halt and locked the bike only to find it was a staff member, and they weren't opening for a long time yet...
OH well, I'd just have to get a coffee from a machine in a petrol station. Except they were all closed.

Got home at 7am.
Finished with nearly 88 miles on the clock, which took a little over 7 hours; an average moving speed of 12.3 mph. 4,541 feet of climbs.

Not many pics as it was a night ride.

Outwood windmill by bike torch.
1722775715520.png

An unexpected warning, it wasn't THAT cold! A bit of Ursa Major showing in the top right corner.
1722775766178.png

Some white hydrangea. At various parts of the ride I thought the large blooms in the darkness were the heads of people silently watching gathered. A tree trunk became someone standing and staring at me... I kept having to look twice or three times to see things for what they really were. The tired mind is a weird thing.
1722775854309.png

Sun's up!
Guerilla knitters rock
1722775975762.png

Heathland near Esher
1722776028226.png

The elevation profile. Definitely too many ascents in the 2nd half of the ride. Am sure I could have avoided several, with the right planning.

1722776741380.png

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Yesterday's ride , I normally do a standard local 100km loop to tick off my ride your the metric century challenge I fancied a change this month and entered the china teapot Audax starting in Quarndon near Derby ,I had seen the ride on Amy Cycling Adventures YouTube channel, Managed a quick word with Amy and Kyle before they set off on the 200k route .Spent the time waiting for our start chatting to Nige a regular on Amy's channel who was organising the Audax . Weather gods smiled as the rain stopped at 8.55 and we rolled out at 9.00 . About 50 riders rolled out together heading out of the suburbs of Derby to the countryside. I normally ride solo and soon found all the calls of hole left ,car back ,up or whatever a bit annoying ( call me antisocial ) so as we hit the 1st climb I moved through the main bunch to ride alone to the 1st info point at Sutton on the Hill . Set off with 2 other guys Steve and Rob and we rode together for a few miles . Heading out through Hatton and Taterhall I rode on the front just keeping my pace but on a draggy climb I unintentionally dropped them but was soon Joined by another ride and we rode together for a while until he got ahead at a junction and then made a traffic light before they changed on me , Caught up with him and another ride as they had took the wrong turn heading to the cafe control I presume they got confused as the route did double back on itself . Arrived at the cafe control .I had a relaxed stop and waited to see the 12 year old girl with her Dad make to halfway . The 4 riders and another young lady had rolled out before me . Bit of back tracking around a road closure and on to the next info control at Abbots Bromley caught 1 rider on the drag up to Abbots Bromley and caught the other 3 at the info control .Steve and Rob rolled out 1st and me and the young Lady rode ( didn't get her name ) ride towards the last control In Bramshall she had driven down from Leeds and her boyfriend was riding down to the finish over the peaks to tick off some top 100 climbs !!. Everyone all back together before the climb to Bramshall . At the pub the control was manned by Jim Hopper (Paris Breast Paris rider) who had rode there on his upright Trike . A relaxed stop again chatting with Jim , Steve and Rob and another rider rolled out 1st shortly followed by me the young Lady and another rider . 20 miles of tailwind on rolling roads back to Derby and we were flying soon caught Steve and Rob . On the biggest climb of the day I found myself alone by the top so I carried on towards the finish . Began to push the pace as doing quick maths I could possibly dip under 4.5hrs for the 72 miles . Past the last known rider in front on the climb past Keddleston hall just before the finish . Rolled into the finish in 4hrs 31mins so missed my completely meaningless target . Enjoyed the laid on food at the end and ending up chatting too Steve and Laura Massey the fastest people round the world on a tandem . Very enjoyable day meeting some really interesting people ,didn't hang around long enough to see if the 12 year old got round ,She was completely confident her Dad was more worried about his ability to do the distance

Gunk

Guru
My son wanted to test his new Touring bike so we did a very pleasant circular route around the West Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire borders, having a quick stop in Letchlade. Lovely roads, they remind me of rural France.

About 18 miles this afternoon, we will return and lengthen the route next time, but a very pleasant afternoon and his 525 framed tourer was stunning, I rode it for a bit and it was so comfortable, you could literally ride it around the world.

IMG_4030.jpeg

IMG_4031.jpeg

IMG_4033.jpeg

IMG_4025.jpeg

wafter

Shops on the Fuji; making 40-odd miles over the past two days and just under 107 for the week - which is the most I've managed for nearly a year :smile:

Last edited:

Chief Broom

Veteran
Todays ride is a favourite and one i do about 3 times a week, its from Brora over the hills to Golspie. Theres always something to see and today it was an osprey - i missed the shot though after much camera fumbling :rolleyes: Crofting is alive and well with stacks of peat drying. Theres a long descent into Golspie and the sea comes into view at the end of the valley. I used to do a circular ride- 24 miles to Golspie then 6 miles back along the A9 back to Brora....but i loathe the A9 so return the way i came. :okay:
DSCF6052 (1).JPG

DSCF6057.JPG

DSCF6060.JPG

DSCF6061.JPG

DSCF6066.JPG

DSCF6068.JPG

DSCF6078.JPG

DSCF6072.JPG

DSCF6079.JPG

bluenotebob

Veteran
Todays ride is a favourite and one i do about 3 times a week, its from Brora over the hills to Golspie.

Excellent stuff! Countryside I know (or at least, knew) very well .. i have family around the Rogart area (Langwell and Knockarthur) and down in Embo.

A question for you - if you've got an MTB can you get up to Ben Armine Lodge? My parents hitched a ride up there with the postie back in the '80s and it looked like a wonderful (if very bumpy) ride.

More, please !

Chief Broom

Veteran
Excellent stuff! Countryside I know (or at least, knew) very well .. i have family around the Rogart area (Langwell and Knockarthur) and down in Embo.

A question for you - if you've got an MTB can you get up to Ben Armine Lodge? My parents hitched a ride up there with the postie back in the '80s and it looked like a wonderful (if very bumpy) ride.

More, please !

Hi bluenotebob glad you liked the pics :okay: i wouldnt know about Ben Armine Lodge, i ride a road hybrid and have a dodgy back....any off roading would put me in A+E :laugh:
DSCF4176.JPG

DSCF5161.JPG

DSCF6046.JPG

DSCF6255.JPG

DSCF6261.JPG

wafter

Usual egg run on the Brompton... was just thinking how pleasant it was that I'd not been subject to any car-based-twattery when some utter gobshite in a van close-passed me while sounding the horn; presumably unable to deal with the fact I was riding in the centre of the carriageway (to avoid the abysmal road surface nearer the edge while still leaving him the entire, clear, opposite carriageway to overtake).

I raced to try and catch him at the lights but just missed him... which may or may not have been a good thing. Enraged and cheated out of the opportunity to make my anger known, I doubled back to the community centre for some time on the rings; managing a full program despite feeling a bit achy, tired and generally grotty. Was still in a mard as I packed my stuff away, however on the way back to the house the endorphines kicked in and I felt great. Most of me is aching now, which probably suggests I've done something right :tongue:

Last edited:
Top Bottom