Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

That's overrated, falling off whilst trying to pull away in a 53-11 is underrated.

I've got a new bike and I'm back on Shimano after 4-5 years on SRAM, riding up the little climb coming into Desford on my second ride I got the drop down onto the inner ring right but then tried to double tap it down a couple of gears and ended up climbing in a 38/11. :ohmy::wacko::blush:

Spike on a bike

Über Member
Stopped off for a cuppa thought I'd try n post a pic

Windmill at Oldbuckenham

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 29

littlee

Nice day for a ride – 56 miles – out towards Great Ayton, onto Ingleby Greenhow, up the side of Clay Bank, the first of a few nasty little climbs.

Through Chop Gate, past the green phone box at Fangdale Beck IMG_0852.JPG and right to Hawnby. Then more short, sharp, twisty up and downs before an enjoyable bimble across the moors to Osmotherley.

Nice quick descent to Swainby, onto Hutton Rudby and then Newby. By this time the legs had had it and the sensible option was the run down Ormesby bank and back home. Total of 4 hours riding – probably 4 days recovering

Attachments

• IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 28

Saluki

World class procrastinator
What is it with all these dragons in Norwich? We were there the other week and saw them lurking on Fye Bridge and Tombland. Norwich may have changed in several ways since I lived there but this wasn't one I was expecting.
www.gogodragons.co.uk will tell you all you need to know.

They are this years trail for the Break charity. 2 years ago, it was Go Go Gorillas, 2 years before that Go Go Elephants. The dragons are lovely. We got another one tonight.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Another quick ride tonight.
3 and a bit down to Evans for the ladies fix it night, then 3 and a half or so, back via All Saints Green, outside the old BBC building to snag a dragon.
We came home via Earlham Road and it was nice to be out. Should have taken a long sleeved jersey as it was getting a bit parky out.
I am 40 miles over target for the month at the mo, so pleased about that at the half way mark for the month.

Goodie bag was nice. I have a multi tool, some lube and a free entry for an Evans ride thing.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Extended my ride home this afternoon, taking in the towns which lie between Leeds, Wakefield and Huddersfield. Passed by the National Coal Mining Museum too.
It was a good, testing route (especially that 6km drag between Horbury Bridge and Grange Moor) but the sun was out and the legs felt a-okay. It's one of those routes you want to return to, just to prove a point!
31.5 miles with 1,895 ft of up.
https://www.strava.com/activities/347354349
:okay:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
1.6 miles round the block tonight, more than yesterday. Maybe I'll be doing 2 miles by the weekend..

You go Cos:okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another cheeky evening circuit for me tonight, out on the hybrid so mainly off road.
Up Wood Lane to Scholes, then instead of turning right towards the Coronation Tree, I turned left and then turned up Rakehill Road. After a couple of hundred yards this becomes a green lane 'unsuitable for motor vehicles' :okay:
Last time I rode it the mud was ankle deep in places and I ended up pushing the bike. No such problems this time, although by heck there are a lot of rocks, stones and bumps. Good fun though! ^_^
Onto the paved section at the Barwick end and got quite a lick of speed up, before tackling the steep climb up The Boyle, passing possibly the world's cheeriest dog walker.
The chip shop at the top of the hill smelled divine, but I resisted temptation (and both pubs) and cycled out onto Main Street, then left at the New Inn down Long Lane and back out into the countryside.
Down the hill past Garforth Golf Club, then left into Ellis Lane and onto the bridleway across the golf course (avoiding the baby rabbits). Onto Barrowby Lane, then Manston Lane and over Pendas Fields and on to home.

9.3 miles, 46m30s at an average of 12.0 mph gaining 341ft. Happy with all that, but the real Brucey Bonus was that this took me past 500 miles on the hybrid in total!:smile:
I know some people do that sort of mileage in a week (and fair play to them) but I'm quietly chuffed with that since the end of February, especially since I was banned from the bike for a month...

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Had a pootle up the superhighway to the City, got stuck in some heavy (bus) traffic not helped by the time of evening when everyone uses the Superhighway to park their cars. Eased up once we got to the Elephant so had a quick photo check of the Shard.

xSBvQWml.jpg

After joining Cannon Street, and stuck at lights, I noticed a strange wedge shaped building next to the St Mary Aldermary church I hadn't really noticed before.

PVOgN1pl.jpg

From here to Trafalgar is usually a battle of wills with an infinite number of buses and taxis, but this time it was manageable, and it was quite a fast, fun jaunt past St Pauls through Fleet Street, Royal Courts and The Strand.

I tried to keep up with some speedos on bikes past Big Ben and CS8, but despite a few traffic lights helping me out, they kept dropping me. I know my limits so watched as they headed out on their own adventure.

Hitting lights at Chelsea Bridge I popped another couple of photos of it and Albert Bridge in the distance..

cbSxxNCl.jpg

"I Dreamt We Were Standing" Anyone?

1OpRhMml.jpg

Thru Battersea I scalped a couple of girls on Boris Bikes (they all count, no?) and in Wandsworth spotted a fair menagerie of drunken ladies ("Iuvenes Birdus Drunkus") and almost got hit by a guy running out between parked cars who gave a shriek akin to Ned Flanders.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3OpgwpgqXA

Along Upper Richmond Road the roadworks and a few lorries were building traffic quite a bit, but everyone on 4 wheels was extremely generous with me, no tooting or honking, and the lorry sat behind me even when he had opportunity to pass. I tried on my part to keep the speed going as much as possible.

Hitting Priory Lane and another stop for a pint photo. (Sorry, bad taste).

0SuThYtl.jpg

And then onto a VERY dark Richmond Park. Gates are closed at sundown to cars, but the pedestrian gates are open 24 hours a day.

It's quite a freaky experience actually. I like the quiet, the solitude, and lack of things around me, except they were there, with great giant antlers. I just couldn't see them until they were 5 yards to my left or right. When I did spot a couple of reflecting eyes staring at me, it just made me pedal faster!!

It may have been the first time in history I had done Sawyers Hill without a gale in my face, maybe the wind only works during the day? There were certainly above cloud thunderstorms happening, but no lightning to ground. It was quite spectacular at times.

Owning the road was also rather lovely, even took a couple of pictures going up Sawyers Hill.

1kJ2BNFl.jpg

Blur-O-Vision

gwGfTeIl.jpg

And then headed back thru Raynes Park to Wimbledon, via a detour as they were resurfacing the B235 from the mid point from Raynes Park to Wimbledon, no doubt for RideLondon.

When I got to South Wimbledon, and with a total lack of traffic, I went hell for leather for that out of reach 1 mile segment "Sub 3 mins and you are faster than the Northern Line" (always being stuck with traffic / lights / more traffic).

When I got home I found I had 62 achievements, including a PR up Sawyers Hill (why did I take photos!!!), a bunch near Big Ben no doubt helped by those fast dudes, along Wandsworth (with some help from nice lorryman) and a 2min 56 time on THAT segment, beating the Northern Line by 4 seconds!

I also learned that deer with big antlers that come out of the dark can be quite eerie.

https://app.strava.com/activities/347646978

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A ride from a couple of days ago, posted late, as usual...

Amate and I met at the Windhover Pub near the southern end of the Brampton Valley Way for a ride up to Foxton Locks and back. The weather was miserable. Rain, then drizzle, then a bit more rain. Before long, we were looking more like we'd ridden over the fields in winter.
Still, skin's waterproof, and mud washes off!! :okay:

My usual route to get anywhere has been closed as the religious cult has moved out of the old house now..

DSC_1671.JPG

Well, I say closed,, :whistle:

The ride is quite easy, with no hills to tackle, only the ride up the Locks needs a gear change, to be honest!

DSC_1675.JPG

By this time, is had stopped persisting it down, though the canal banks were still full of puddles.

DSC_1681.JPG

Cake and coffee stop at the Top Locks. Home made cake by my mate.

DSC_1682.JPG

Foxton is well worth a visit, but avoid the weekends as it's heaving!

DSC_1686.JPG

Heading back via the same route, the canal bridges threaten to take your head off if you don't duck a bit.

DSC_1690.JPG

Occasionally, the cycle routes get a bit silly. There's not even a ramp to push the bike up.. :wacko:

Back home on 64 miles (on my full-sus Marin) after a few wiggles around the local woods on the way back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/346523159

:smile:

Pretty much the usual route again today, with a slightly deviation and more climbing, only a touch slower and on my own...
So I'll let some pictures talk instead.

IMG_3680.JPG

Apparently this Oak tree has a look of broccoli about it!

IMG_3681.JPG

My deviation (AKA flying downhill too fast and missed my turn) found me an estuary and Wales!

IMG_3684.JPG

It also found mean oil refinery and yes the climb was that steep.

IMG_3685.JPG

A touch different from yesterday, but over on the right middle is Jodrell Bank where I should be tomorrow and right is a big fire!

IMG_3690.JPG

Closer to home and some 'wild' raspberries along with evidence of my eating them last night as well. I missed one last night, so I went back for another attempt today.

IMG_3691.JPG

As you can see these wild raspberries are not small affairs and are really tasty.

IMG_3697.JPG

And to finish off a strawberry from home. Looks like a slug may have beaten me to it though!

21 miles or thereabouts, and bikehike tells me it is 1100 feet of climbing. I will say nothing about the average, I think I must be tired.
https://www.strava.com/activities/347945122

Top Bottom