Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
81.5 wet, miserable, grey, feckin windy miles today.

I rode up to my old manor in Fringford to visit my neighbour to catch up and have a chat, rode via Wallingford, Stadhampton ( when it started to p1$$ down and I got soaked for 15 miles), Milton, Oakley, Brill, Marsh Gibbon, stopped for a nice sausage ciabatta with chips then apple crumble and custard for pud, then to Fringford for a chat and coffee.

The Return journey was dry, but windy via Bicester, Kirtlington, Kiddlington, Oxford and Abingdon. on the way back I ventured on to some of those cycle routes to see what they are like, never again, they're bloody rubbish.

I don't know what's going on with wind but it wants to feckin' well cut it out. NOW!

Not many pics 'cos I couldn't be bottomed.

Bicester.png
1-IMG_1980.JPG

I was sitting on the grass in Oxford having a piece of Banana cake when I noticed this statue on the roof, the figure looks like its scratching it head.

2-IMG_1982.JPG

Some pretty flowers in Abingdon

Bicester.png

PS @ColinJ I like the look of you Cannondale, I like a Cannondale bike me.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Back from Dragon Hunting this evening. We were out for 2 hours and 1 minute but riding time was only 55 minutes for the 8 1/3 miles of riding.
We had a good time, and back and forthed on ourselves a bit but it was fun. Averaged 10mph.

While we were out we saw a chap who had been beaten up, I called an ambulance as there was a lot of blood on his arm and face, he seemed a tad groggy too. He said that he didn't need help so I left him to it but called an ambulance anyway as he didn't look in a very clever way. The chaps who saw what had gone on, just before we arrived were on the phone to the police and had come down to the bridge to take the policeman, they found, to the chap on the ground.

We got a bit wet on the way home. It poured for the last couple of miles but that's life. 1st ride for a while using our lights.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
81.5 wet, miserable, grey, feckin windy miles today.

I don't know what's going on with wind but it wants to feckin' well cut it out. NOW!

PS @ColinJ I like the look of you Cannondale, I like a Cannondale bike me.
Bad luck with the weather! It started off grey here but the sun came out later and I managed to get 51 sunny km (32 miles) in. Pretty windy here too though.

That's 2 Cannondales I have now, the other being an old CAAD5 road bike - this one ...

colinjs-cannondale-on-bridge-over-wharfe-at-cavendish-pavilion-jpg.85680.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Bad luck with the weather! It started off grey here but the sun came out later and I managed to get 51 sunny km (32 miles) in. Pretty windy here too though.

That's 2 Cannondales I have now, the other being an old CAAD5 road bike - this one ...

colinjs-cannondale-on-bridge-over-wharfe-at-cavendish-pavilion-jpg.85680.jpg

Nice, proper made in the USA bike that.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Back on the bike for the first time since June 26th, and Episode 6. Only just over a mile, tougher than I was expecting but nice to be out again. Think my target for the year is no longer achievable, and I've had to pull out of the Metric 50 a month challenge too. On the plus side there is light at the end of the tunnel for my ongoing condition now:smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Back on the bike for the first time since June 26th, and Episode 6. Only just over a mile, tougher than I was expecting but nice to be out again. Think my target for the year is no longer achievable, and I've had to pull out of the Metric 50 a month challenge too. On the plus side there is light at the end of the tunnel for my ongoing condition now:smile:

Good luck to you, I wish you well. I was over WGP a week ago Sunday, loads of cyclist about, i was wondering if one of them was you. I guess not!

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
I'm still feeling the effects of Sundays 85 soggy miles so it was just a regular route around the New Forest today, taking in Minstead, Bolderwood, Nomansland & Furzley for a pleasant 30 mile round trip.

Not a particularly exciting ride under leaden skys with the only point of note being that whilst there were a fair few hybrid & mountain bike riders around I didn't see a single other roadie.

https://www.strava.com/activities/346558535

004.JPG

Just a few calves for company on this stretch of road.
001.JPG

The blackberry harvest is looking promising this year :hungry:.

gavgav

Legendary Member
Good to see you back out again

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
A continuation from last Thursdays bit of the tour that @hopless500 and i are doing through Holland,Belgium and France for a month.

We arrived in the lovely Dutch city of Roemond on the German border and well worth a visit. If there were any Dutch people there we never saw or heard them, it was all very Germanic.

We met a really fab lady in the tourist information who found us a campsite in the marina area and gave us lots of info on things to see and do and even charged our phones for us whilst we wandered the market.

The campsite at Oolderhhuuske was billed as 5*. In the scheme of things it probably was and at 31euros for 2 nights each it was not bad. It had everything there that you would want but it was noisy, full of disparaging Germans and it happenned to be very hot. Please don't think i am anti Germany because i am not but they kind of took over everything. Im sure Brits en - masse can be the same. The on site restaurant service was appalling too with us having to change tables mid order and if you wanted to buy beer at the cafe you could not drink it there. If you have a boat and are sailing/cruising the Dutch waterways it was lovely but camping :thumbsdown:.
Some of the sights of the area.

20150710_113118.jpg

20150710_113909.jpg
20150710_145548.jpg
20150711_103303.jpg
20150711_110718.jpg

Anyway Sunday morning arrived overcast and a lot cooler than the previous days early 30s. Today we headed into Belgium and Lanaken. The weather forcast was not good and we had discovered trekker huts along the way which although basic provided warmth,electric for charging stuff and somewhere to make a hot drink all for just a little more than camping. We got soaked several times and discovered the hills of Southern Belgium quite quickly.

We knew instantly the moment we entered Belgium along the Muse. The buildings became very austere, bland and boring. This was to stay with us until Wednesday when we cleared Liege.

We arrived at Jomoco camping in Lanakan in a downpour and the hut was very welcome. The site became home for 2 nights due to the dreadful weather but it had a good restaurant nice staff and clean facilities.Oh and sold Grimbergen beer:okay:

20150712_100041.jpg

The route was pretty boring and wet but we did see some fantastic waterway engineering by the Dutch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom