Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dr Nige is a member and posts on here. He is on Strava as well.
It's Nige who I met today at the cafe.

Haven't you heard of wind coming from an againsterly direction?
nope I hadn't heard it - was probably fighting against a stiff headwind if it came up in 2011...

the head wind thing (in this household at least) comes from our aborted tour. out of the UK up to the top of Norway it was stunningly beautiful weather, but the headwinds were constant for the entire 5,000km... (to the point where it controlled what we did and where we went in flatter countries). We had 1-2 weeks cycling across the top of Norway to the Russian coast/border where it was calmer or a strong side wind (the kind where staying on the road full stop was hard & staying in your (car) lane was impossible) and then as we turned and headed south... guess what the wind did! yep even other tourers we spoke to said exactly the same thing - head wind whilst heading north, head wind heading south... I think it was 6,500km (to Athens) of constant headwind except one blissful day (in Slovakia) which is basically the last time I remember having a tailwind and that day we flew... litterally. Any change of direction was impossible - stopping was difficult and overall we covered more ground, in less time on that day than any other day on tour... bliss... just one more day like that in my life time and ....^_^

compo

Veteran
A 20 miler today on the Trek Hybrid. Harlow to Waltham Abbey, then after getting a couple of bits in Lidl came home via High Beech and Epping. Travelling along the Crooked Mile road there was a short area of flooding right across the road. Even with mudguards my feet got soaked, as did the remainder of me when some pillock in a car overtook me at speed through the flood causing a high wave of water. Fortunately I had tights on and a waterproof jacket. The tights dried in minutes, but my feet were soaked and so cold they hurt. I thought I would get some new socks in Waltham Abbey but could find nowhere who sold them so I had to put up with cold wet feet until I got home. I was glad to get to High Beech and get a cup of hot tea and a lump of bread pudding. There were a lot of cyclists at the hut. The ride home was uneventual apart from a perfect overtake by a bus from a company I had previously contacted to complain about their drivers and overtaking. I intend to email the company today with a word of praise for the driver. All in all a nice ride in the sunshine, only spoiled by my icy cold feet. It struck me when I go near home I should have taken my socks off and put my feet in nappy sacks of which I have plenty in my panniers then put my socks back on. I don't know if that would have helped?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Twenty miles comprising a four mile ride to Leeds Station to catch a train to Ilkley then a sixteen mile ride from Ilkley back to Meanwood. The main purpose of the ride was pie sampling. I chose to ignore Lishman's in Ilkley leaving it for another day and chose to buy a pie from JB Wilkinsons on Brook Street. The pie was served warm with a 10p premium over cold pies. The crust was firm with a hint of shortcrust texture on the inside. The filling was succulent with minimal gravy/jelly - just as I like it. There was minimal voidage and the pork was slightly spiced though there was a 'porkiness' to the flavour that wasn't entirely welcome. 6/10.

ha9ujeze.jpg

u8eqyhym.jpg

A quick pedal onto Ben Rhydding to Furniss Family Butchers in Bolling Road found a source of pies from a butcher who was a finalist in the 2011 pork pie championships. Purchased three pork pies and set off back to Meanwood with the pies uneaten. The ride back was uneventful and surprisingly warm. I didn't find the drag up from Otley to Bramhope as challenging as I usually do - perhaps it was a pie boosted ascent.

ytetamur.jpg

Getting back to Meanwood gave me a chance to sample the Furniss pie. Great crust - good texture with no hint of sogginess. The filling was lighly spiced and perfectly balanced by the delicate pork taste. No voidage or surplus jelly and a bargain at £1.05. 8/10

ve6a3a2a.jpg

ejaguza8.jpg

:sad: no ride here today - offically the worst day we have had (4-6inches fell overnight) made worse by it starting to melt during the night (avalanches off roof kept me awake and actually knocked my OH's bike over) and then the skies cleared and life froze.
Deep wet snow that first thing this morning despite massive amounts of gritting yesterday (which I witnessed on yesterday's ride) the roads were 'interesting'... This afternoon I have however seen my first 2 other roadies out in the last 10 days (both in Warrington where it was half the volume of snow and melting fast). Finger's cross it does not freeze tonight otherwise it is going to be seriously bad tomorrow.

screenman

Legendary Member
Vernon you are a hero for doing research like that just for our benefit, many thanks.

4 inches of snow fell overnight with little or no gritting done by the looks of things and then the top of the snow froze over.

My ride today, well I found out why we call them push bikes. The eldest came around and informed me he was going out for a 3 hour run, run not ride and suggested I follow him on the bike and we can meet up and do a few miles together, all off road of course. Well the first off was 80yards from my front door, luckily still on my drive, the next off was at 120 yards no longer on my drive, the third off was at about 160 yards and so on every 50 yards or so for about 400 yards, this was the hardest snow I have ever tried to ride on to 50 years of cycling, bit like riding on creme brulee, not that I have ever done that, well only as fuel. So the off road was part of the Viking way that runs behind my house, unfortunately recently used by the large farm vehicle which had rutted it up badly under the snow.

To surmise I got and hour and some more of pushing, cycling, trying to cycle and picking myself up off the ground and trying to cycle again. Sort of push down on pedals, back wheel spins a you get no forward motion but plenty of falling motion going. In all brilliant fun and the hardest workout this year. The eldest of course completed his run without falling over.

P.S. for some reason mine where the only cycle tracks on this part of the Sustrans route this morning.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
10 miles across the newly lain snow before it thawed...

Obligatory picture of bike stood up in snow :becool:

Some pictures of 'rare' hills in east yorkshire

Big respect to mountain bikers and snow riders,

Utterly knacked by the end of the ride an extra 20 mins on usual time,
lots of going sideways with eithe front or back wheels or both when hitting snow ruts,
lots of toes down out of clips moments,
big smile at the end, who wants to grow up:bicycle: ?

100_7295_zps538e65e5.jpg

100_7296_zps1f72d711.jpg

100_7297_zpsa26a9b24.jpg

100_7300_zpsf7892f85.jpg

100_7301_zpsda00658a.jpg

It snowed a wee bit overnight here but it was forecast to turn very mild, so I decided to forego my early club ride and go out a wee bit later on my own on the heavy SS. My thinking was that I head to the flat fens first as they get the sun first and based on last week tend to dry fast. I had to cut through town first so I headed to a bus route, 'it'll be clear', 'wrong', it was covered in ice, so I found another route. Once I got out there my hunch was 99% right there was only small patches of ice and by the time I decided to head for bumpier terrain, although the roads were still white/grey/brown it was only slush :smile:
I did make one mistake near about the 50 mile mark I stopped for a call off nature and must have p'tured :shy: it was a slow one fortunately as the SS tyres are a b'gger to remove/refit, stopping every 10 miles or so to put air in seemed to work. I was almost home but my mileage was only 94miles and I wanted to do a ton but the tyre had went flat again, so I stopped to pump it up, after a minute or two a black merc started to drive out of its driveway, the driver got out, he had a track pump :smile: We couldn't get the pump to clip on but it was a nice offer; he offered further assistance but I didn't want to be a burden, so used my mini pump again and got going for a few laps of the housing estate to make the ton :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A quick 27 miles on the Cheshire Lanes for me today to make up for the chain gang I was supposed to ride on yesterday being cancelled due to snow and ice :sad: . No ice today but a nasty swirling wind that at times seemed to sap any energy I had, then the heavens opened despite there being plenty of blue sky around and a forecast for sun.
Had a go at a Strava segment only to find I ended up 2 seconds of the KOM in second place, out of over 1000 riders. :training: Must try harder next time.
Mistook a rider for a well known forum member until I said, hi mate, he turned around and it wasn't who I thought it was. Same bike, you know how it is. :whistle:
Despite everything an enjoyable ride and I passed the 400 base mile Strava challenge for January. ^_^

Rasmus

Without a clever title
A nice loop out to the Black Hill TV transmitter this morning. The 15-20 mph SW wind meant I flew up the long slog out through Bellshill and Newhouse - conversely, the last 15 miles into the wind were absolutely brutal. No snow or ice on the hill, and some very niece views of the Clyde valley and Campsie Fells.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Squire
My God, my first ride of 2013, last year was a poor year cycling wise and I must get going again. So, just an hour to find my legs again, very very blowy, 10 to 13 mph into the wind so quickly took an alternative route giving me a sidewind, but then stumped a few miles later by a flooded road, maybe one foot deep. Didn't go mad, just nice to get out there, two Red Kite, nice n sunny albeit blowy, bikes filthy, I'm ha ppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom