Your dad's car....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Vauxhall%20Viva%20HB%20Deluxe%204-door%20front.jpg

Vauxhall Victor FE.jpg

Senator_a1-023.jpg

My Mums first car when she passed her test aged 40 (don't ask!)

Lotus_Elite_503.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
I always thought what we had were Hillman Minxes, but looking at pics online the Hillman Hunter seems more familiar.

The first one was hijacked by the IRA and used to run guns over the border, before being abandoned and blown up by the Army. The second was stolen by joy riders, abandoned, and blown up by the Army. Not long after that we left Belfast.

Once over here, Dad retired on ill health, and Mum went out to work. She was briefly loaned some form of Simca, before getting a company car. How grand.

A Metro. In Buttercup yellow.

Still, it was one of the first Metros, when there was a big fuss about it being the first new British car for years, so people used to point at it from bus queues and so on. For quite a long time as we passed, as it wasn't a fast car.

We had three of them before she changed jobs, then she moved over to Vauxhall Corsas, she still has one now.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I vaguely remember a Triumph Spitfire, and an Austin Cambridge, before:
Mk 2 Cortina, which dad sprayed bright orange with a black roof, before someone wrote it off while I was in hospital as a kid.
Vauxhall Victor. I remember dad had the sills replaced, and had to spend the first morning of our summer holiday patching up a melted wiring loom.
Renault 9. Our first new-ish car. Sadly money problems meant it had to go back.
Renault 16. Dodgy old motor...
Morris Marina. This is the car I learned to drive in.
Mk 2 Cavalier. Although aging, this wasn't bad, but dad replaced it with...
Mk 3 Ford Granada. This was a complete dog, that wouldn't even tickover properly. I did my sums, and offered the 'rents more board to help fund...
Mk 3 Vauxhall Cavalier, although an ex-taxi, this was an okay motor. By the time we got rid of it, the 'rents were in better financial shape, so could afford a 2 year old...
Vauxhall Vectra B. In green, with a 2.0 litre engine. This shifted. Then dad discovered French diesels, and invested in a brand-new...
Renault Laguna. Never saw much of this, and it was written off in a flood at my dad's work, so he replaced it with the car he has now, a...
Citroen C5. He's idly looking for something a bit newer...

ScotiaLass

Guru
My dad had quite a few different cars but I remember these very well....
A Ford Zepher (he actually had two, one blue and one in green)
Unknown_zpsecc995d5.jpg

and Ford Granada Estate - ours was brown with a thick gold stripe down the side
Ford_Granada_Break_zpsbb57962a.jpg

My brothers' first car was a Ford Anglia - no need for a pic of that!

Mine was a Volvo 360GLT in silver
0650397-Volvo-360-GLT-1986_zpsf3d6cf8a.jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
My parent's first car was a Chrysler Avenger like this one, though I don't remember much about it.
chrysler-avenger-brb-756-t.jpg

After that broke they got a Chrysler Alpine, and then moved on to a Vauxhall Cavalier.
When there were six of us the cars needed to get bigger, so we had a Montego Countryman with fold up rear seat, and a Toyota TownAce imported from Japan.

screenman

Legendary Member
My Dad never had a car, but I have owned all of those excepting maybe the Royale things. Not all for personal use, but I was a car dealer in the Middlesex /Surrey area in the seventies and eighties.

Bedfont car sales
Hanworth car sales
Balham Car Centre
Tolworth Car Sales
Twickenham Trade Centre.
Isleworth Cars

And maybe one I cannot remember, must say it all looks a bit dodgy when I write it down.

ScotiaLass

Guru
My Dad never had a car, but I have owned all of those excepting maybe the Royale things. Not all for personal use, but I was a car dealer in the Middlesex /Surrey area in the seventies and eighties.

Bedfont car sales
Hanworth car sales
Balham Car Centre
Tolworth Car Sales
Twickenham Trade Centre.
Isleworth Cars

And maybe one I cannot remember, must say it all looks a bit dodgy when I write it down.
A'write Boycie! :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
Just remembered the Austin Maxi owners club is in my village, and I must admit they were a quality ride if you got a good one.

Happy Days, or poor memory, not sure which.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Just remembered the Austin Maxi owners club is in my village, and I must admit they were a quality ride if you got a good one.

Happy Days, or poor memory, not sure which.
Oooh my (then) boyfriend had one of those - it used to haul four of us plus a trailer of scramble bikes all over competitions in Scotland

Top Bottom