Your dad's car....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
My dads car choices depended on how we were financially so we went from cool to OMG quite regularly, here we go from what my memory can muster.
Sunbeam rapier
Austin healey frogeye sprite
Rover v8
Triumph 2000
Vauxhall victor
Vw fastback (hated at time but in love now)
Reliant kitten :/
Volvo 240, 360 and 480
I then left home

You left home because of the Volvos?

Linford

Hubby and I have one of these...

1994-1997_Mitsubishi_Delica_Space_Gear_rear_zps0e9ec6f9.jpg

LOTS of room for bikes :biggrin:

Do you get all the usual negative comments over 4x4 ownership ?
This is the people carrier version of my car. What sort of mpg are you getting from it ? (I do like them)

ScotiaLass

Guru
Do you get all the usual negative comments over 4x4 ownership ?
This is the people carrier version of my car. What sort of mpg are you getting from it ? (I do like them)
I know of the negative comments but never had any directed at us.
TBH, we live in Scotland and travel North a lot to photograph, so the 4x4 is very handy in the winter. Also, if I'm doing a short run into town I get the bus....and am getting to the point of using my bike now (just worried about leaving it outside shops!)

As for mileage, hubby says it's no worse than our Frontera 2.2, 4x4 (just about to be sold)
It's also manual, which helps!

Leaway2

Lycrist
Dad had a Ford Prefect. If I remember correctly, the wipers worked on the vacuum from the inlet manifold!! Going up hill the car slowed down and they barely moved. Mum had to help them by pushing the linkage under the dash.

prefect.jpe

gbb

Squire
Do you remember when the Sierra came out it was called a "jelly mould" as it was though of as so rounded and characterless. Seems we have gone much more rounded and characterless since then.
I remember sitting In a queue of traffic when the Mondeo came out to replace the Sierra. One of each were sitting virtually side by side, and it struck me in that instant...the lines and rake of the windscreen and bonnet were virtually identical. Since then, I'd always marvelled how they manage to update models, completely change the look, yet it looks the same. Its the lines and angles.

Dad:
Singer Gazelle estate.
VW bay window van - yes a van as a family car. though it was carpetted and had a window in the back door.
Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti - like the Police cars in the original Italian Job movie.
Volvo 123 Amazon - ex East Africa Rally car.
1966 Chevy Impala
Triumph Acclaim

Step Dad:
Cortina mk3 L
Cortina mk3 GXL
Cortina mk3 pickup x2
Triumph 2000 estate
Vauxhall Ventura
Short base Landrover
Toyota Celica
Renault 12
Toyota Crown estate

Leaway2

Lycrist
I read somewhere that with that genius design the faster you went the slower the wipers went. Not sure if is true though.:smile:
No it was opposite (or possibly both). The faster you went, the more air was sucked into the manifold the faster they went. Going up hills, the engine would struggle and the vacuum would reduce.
I remember going to relatives in Shropshire who lived up on top of a hill. The engine was so underpowered, Dad had to reverse (low grear) it up the hill :laugh:.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
[QUOTE 2882093, member: 45"]I grew up less than a mile from the Longbridge factory. Unfortunately there was a lot of brand loyalty in the area.[/quote]
My Dad and my Grandad both always owned Vauxhalls thinking back my first three cars were Vauxhall or Opel and my sisters first two were as well. Never struck me before reading this.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
the earliest i can recall is us briefly being a two car family with one of these:
Renault-4_Clan_1988_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg

And one of these:
hillman-imp-deluxe-pressphoto-pi781g-apr1963.jpg

then we had one of these:
30.jpg

replaced by one of these:
10651584093_79744aeb81.jpg

replaced by one of these:
2228715257_9823647d67_z.jpg

and the last one before I moved out...
Ford_Orion_%C2%B484_front.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
if this thread wasn't nostalgic enough...

First one I remember was maroon Ford Anglia. Finally given away to the guy down the road who was a stock car racer. We went to watch at Warton Raceway (near Carnforth) which was actually the old slag tips. The bottom fell out of it after one lap

Used to go there to watch a bloke up the road race... I remember us all chanting "two-four-six-eight... Who do we appreciate? Ronnie Byron!!!"

Keep meaning to go back as they still have a monthly race meeting.

Top Bottom