"You should be on the cyclepath!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
That was a strangely odd experience you had but I found the action of the other cyclist incredibly funny. I think if I was in your position, I would have laughed so hard that I would have fallen off!

Quite weird. The other cyclist certainly seems convinced and righteous and feels it's his obligation to correct you according to his whims (which society must have pushed onto him and he's top churlish to think for himself).

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
p.s. some time ago I saw something from a senior Police Officer (I think???) saying that if you are doing in excess of 18 mph then you should not be using a cycle path
DfT-suggested Code of Conduct for Cyclists (not sure if if was ever formally adopted):

"Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road."

icowden

Veteran
DfT-suggested Code of Conduct for Cyclists (not sure if if was ever formally adopted):
"Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road."
Exactly that. There are constant moans from people on the old social meeja about the cycle path near me on Terrace Road. They can't seem to grasp that that shared cycle path was installed primarily to make it safer for children to get to the two primary schools at either end of it. It's not for people going over about 12mph for many reasons - constant side roads where a cyclist has to stop, some blind corners as well. Then there's the section on the hill where they have loads of drop kerbs for driveways but rather than make the whole section drop kerb, the pavement undulates. If you cycle downhill it's like being on the high seas...

And of course the clincher = the average road speed for the length of the cycle path - 14mph. So any road cyclist who gets overtaken will inevitably sail past the same car and end up ahead of them at the high street traffic lights.

Last edited:
Slightly different thing
but I was on a path just before - soil type path through a wooded area and with gentle bends
It is a properly registered cycle path and all that - actually part of teh Trans Penine Trail

anyway - I was approaching a bend with lots of stuff growing out from the side
slowed down as usual and another cyclist appeared from round the bend - going faster than me but not totally reckless

anyway - I pulled over onto some convenient grass and he passed - having not slowed down which I though was a bit dodgy

anyway - as he passed he said 3-4 words
tone of voice was possibly critical

BUT - I have no clue what on Earth he said
not the foggiest
he start when he was about a foot in front of me - and to my right
and finished when he was about a foot behind

Anyway - I just wanted to say that saying things in those circumstances has zero impact because the other person will have no idea what you said
He might have ridden off thinking he had put me right after my transgression
he might equally have ridden off thinking he had apologised for his speed (but it didn;t include the word sorry)
or something
no idea

word like that are just useless!

of maybe just me

There is one shared use path I use fairly often where I get up to speeds in excess of 20mph on bits of it. But there are few pedestrians, and good long lines of sight where I do that (and I obviously slow down a lot when I do encounter pedestrians).

This is the one running more or less alongside the A473 from Llantrisant to Tonteg. I actually rode it on Saturday, and according to strava hit 30.3 mph at one point. Which was completely safe, given the lack of anybody else on the path at the time.

Which is fine - I mean there was pretty much zero chance of you hurting anyone so why not

simongt

Guru
since this is typically the side which people are encouraged to stand/use on escalators/stairways/walkways.
Odd this 'rule' that although we drive on the left in the UK, we're 'encouraged' to walk on the right in a crowded area / escalator etc..
But then we've been walking a lot longer than cycling or driving - ! ^_^

Gwylan

Veteran
Sorry, you misheard. The driver said "you should be a psychopath"
Then everything makes sense

classic33

Leg End Member
Odd this 'rule' that although we drive on the left in the UK, we're 'encouraged' to walk on the right in a crowded area / escalator etc..
But then we've been walking a lot longer than cycling or driving - ! ^_^
Your sword would have been in your right hand, as a sign that you meant no harm.

It goes back before motor vehicles and headlights.

Alex321

Guru
Your sword would have been in your right hand, as a sign that you meant no harm.

It goes back before motor vehicles and headlights.

So does the driving on the left - which I always understood to be for the exact opposite of the reason you give for walking on the right - namely that it keeps your sword hand on the side of any potential opponent.

Looking it up, the sites I can find on the origins of driving on the left seem to agree.
https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/
https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Why-do-the-British-drive-on-the-left/
https://nationalmotormuseum.org.uk/...s possible that the,arm towards the passer-by.

AIUI, the practice of walking on the right on roads has come about purely in order to be facing oncoming traffic.

And that of standing on te right (walking on the left) of escalators came about because of an early design
https://londonist.com/london/transport/why-don-t-we-stand-on-the-left-escalators

So does the driving on the left - which I always understood to be for the exact opposite of the reason you give for walking on the right - namely that it keeps your sword hand on the side of any potential opponent.

Looking it up, the sites I can find on the origins of driving on the left seem to agree.
https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/
https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Why-do-the-British-drive-on-the-left/
https://nationalmotormuseum.org.uk/ufaqs/why-do-we-drive-on-the-left-side-of-the-road-in-the-uk-but-most-other-countries-drive-on-the-right/#:~:text=It is possible that the,arm towards the passer-by.

AIUI, the practice of walking on the right on roads has come about purely in order to be facing oncoming traffic.

And that of standing on te right (walking on the left) of escalators came about because of an early design
https://londonist.com/london/transport/why-don-t-we-stand-on-the-left-escalators

I heard someone - probably in the WWW not who knows how accurate - that originally pretty much everyone drove on the left

but that little (?) French bugger came along and took over most of Europe and decided that he wanted people to drive on the right

and after he got deported to Rwanda Elba most place he had been kept to the right

The UK - being superior - stayed as we were and exported the concept to the Empire

Some of that history may be a bit dodgy - or outright wrong - but that was something like what I saw

Alex321

Guru
I heard someone - probably in the WWW not who knows how accurate - that originally pretty much everyone drove on the left

but that little (?) French bugger came along and took over most of Europe and decided that he wanted people to drive on the right

and after he got deported to Rwanda Elba most place he had been kept to the right

The UK - being superior - stayed as we were and exported the concept to the Empire

Some of that history may be a bit dodgy - or outright wrong - but that was something like what I saw

Certainly at least one of those links suggests that everywhere used to drive/ride on the left.

There are alternative suggestions for why the switch to the right was made in Europe :smile:

gazwheels

Regular
I have this shouted at me on the regular. There is one been created near me in Bramhall (stockport) which has annoyed cyclists and motorists alike. A total waste of council money.

Top Bottom