"You should be on the cyclepath!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windle

Über Member
Spot the potential problem with that:

View attachment 738443

There's a one like the one on the right near me, between Tindale Crescent and Shildon. The signs are like that on the way up to Shildon and the opposite way round coming back down. The cycle path part is nearest the road all the way up.
I only realised recently and I've always tended to go to the inside which is further away from the traffic and deviates away behind a line of trees in a couple of places.
From a safety point of view I think it's a bit odd that the cycle path, where there's the greatest potential for a user to come a cropper and fall into the road is nearest the road, and for a lot of the way right next to it.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think wilful politeness is the way to go. A smile and a wave always confuses them.

I'm currently in the wonderful position of being able to wave my walking stick at anyone that annoys me. Very satisfying.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There's a one like the one on the right near me, between Tindale Crescent and Shildon. The signs are like that on the way up to Shildon and the opposite way round coming back down. The cycle path part is nearest the road all the way up.
I only realised recently and I've always tended to go to the inside which is further away from the traffic and deviates away behind a line of trees in a couple of places.
From a safety point of view I think it's a bit odd that the cycle path, where there's the greatest potential for a user to come a cropper and fall into the road is nearest the road, and for a lot of the way right next to it.

The opposite situation applies in Didcot. There's a wide, largely well-prepared shared path heading towards the railway station. There are clearly-marked lanes for pedestrians and cyclists, separated by a thick, solid white line. The pedestrian lane is closest to the traffic. Yet when I use it, pedestrians invariably walk on the cycle lane, my assumption is that they feel this is the safer place to walk. Given that they are the most vulnerable of road users it makes sense to have them furthest from the most injurious.

DogmaStu

I had the wonderful experience of using the new ELOR cycle paths / pedestrian path in Leeds (they have both, side by side, utterly fantastic, the way forward imo) and some chap requesting I stop whereupon he gave me a lecture about cycling on pedestrian lanes and that I should be on the road!

I asked him to look up to his right and he witnessed a lovely large sign showing he was in the cycle lane and that the pedestrian path was to his right next to it. I told him he'd see more visual clues on the paths themselves as he walked down them too. Speechless at first, he found his voice and informed me he'd never seen this kind of thing before and it should all be for pedestrians only.

We meet all sorts. :smile:

Windle

Über Member
I had the wonderful experience of using the new ELOR cycle paths / pedestrian path in Leeds (they have both, side by side, utterly fantastic, the way forward imo) and some chap requesting I stop whereupon he gave me a lecture about cycling on pedestrian lanes and that I should be on the road!

I asked him to look up to his right and he witnessed a lovely large sign showing he was in the cycle lane and that the pedestrian path was to his right next to it. I told him he'd see more visual clues on the paths themselves as he walked down them too. Speechless at first, he found his voice and informed me he'd never seen this kind of thing before and it should all be for pedestrians only.

We meet all sorts. :smile:

I was in Leeds last week and the cycle paths do seem very good, I've not ridden on them but they seem to do a good job of weaving through the increasingly congested city centre.

Alex321

Guru
I have had this - on a nice wide cycle path alongside a canal
One guy was older than me and was coming down a slight slope when he saw me
I saw him first and was already moving to my left - I was left of middle anyway
he swung to his right - so I went further left - right to the edge and stopped
he rode past - JUST missing me and called me a B8888y idiot - I have no idea why

Several other time people have gone right as well - sometimes it is someone clearly inexperienced but sometimes they just seem to think they are in the right
no idea why

Possibly some of them may not be British, and are used to being on the right.

And I have come across cycle paths - and shared use paths - where the signs suggest you should be on the right. If there are painted cycle symbols on the path, you should be on the side where they appear right way up to you (assuming some for each direction exist).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If I am on a collision course with a boat while riding my ebike then one of us will shortly either turn or have a BIG problem!!!
So it is not normally a problem - unless the boat is being driven by a Baltimore pilot???

You are missing the point. Those saying we should cycle on the left because that is the rule of the road in the UK (and I happen to agree with this) are maybe failing to consider that travelling on the left is only the rule in a minority of countries around the world and we have a diverse population with people living/travelling here that have originated from all corners of the world. There is also the matter of boats, that have truly global maritime rules stating that when approaching head on, each should move to the right (starboard) to pass each other safely. Perhaps we should observe a similar convention on cycle paths to avoid confusion and ignore piffling local rule variations?

In any case, when cycling on paths I will pass on which ever side is safest and avoids conflict with other users. f you are travelling so fast that doing this can risk collision with other, unpredictable users then you are almost certainly travelling too quickly for the situation.

grldtnr

Über Member
What about boats?

On a boat we navigate the other side, but it does depend on the local buoyage system , which if at sea, depends on the tidal streams, on rivers we navigate on the right.
Not used canals to 'boat' on ,but I imagine, it follows the navigation rules.
On a bicycle, if on an off road route then I follow the Highway code and use the Left hand side of the shared path, slowing or stopping for pedestrians, they have the right of way, as far as I am concerned.
But on a cycle path, I become a 'Psychopath' ! It's my dedicated route to use, and I will ride at speed on it, I don't give way , unless impeded by oncoming traffic, if your a Ped, on the Pysco' then expect to be warned, I'm not willingly going to concede.
I am told ,or verbally abused to use the Cycle way enough , so by the same token ,keep of my cycle paths!
In Sarfend we haven't many anyway, , apart from the prom, which is an abomination, narrow and poorly constructed, with amberling Peds wondering around to access the beach.

velohomme

I was on a shared path in Chorley and some old chap told me to get off it and use the road. Just can't please some people. Also if you ever try to cycle through Astley Park on the designated cycle path it's impossible because of the amount of pedestrians using it instead of the wide traffic free road alongside it.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The opposite situation applies in Didcot. There's a wide, largely well-prepared shared path heading towards the railway station. There are clearly-marked lanes for pedestrians and cyclists, separated by a thick, solid white line. The pedestrian lane is closest to the traffic. Yet when I use it, pedestrians invariably walk on the cycle lane, my assumption is that they feel this is the safer place to walk. Given that they are the most vulnerable of road users it makes sense to have them furthest from the most injurious.

I agree. When I need to pass pedestrians on a shared use path running alongside a road I always try to ensure that they are furthest from the road. While I'm placing myself in the more dangerous spot at least I am aware that I'm doing it.

Alex321

Guru
On a boat we navigate the other side, but it does depend on the local buoyage system , which if at sea, depends on the tidal streams, on rivers we navigate on the right.
Not used canals to 'boat' on ,but I imagine, it follows the navigation rules.
On a bicycle, if on an off road route then I follow the Highway code and use the Left hand side of the shared path, slowing or stopping for pedestrians, they have the right of way, as far as I am concerned.
But on a cycle path, I become a 'Psychopath' ! It's my dedicated route to use, and I will ride at speed on it, I don't give way , unless impeded by oncoming traffic, if your a Ped, on the Pysco' then expect to be warned, I'm not willingly going to concede.
I am told ,or verbally abused to use the Cycle way enough , so by the same token ,keep of my cycle paths!
In Sarfend we haven't many anyway, , apart from the prom, which is an abomination, narrow and poorly constructed, with amberling Peds wondering around to access the beach.

I don't know of ANY dedicated cycle paths in the Vale of Glamorgan or Rhondda Cynon Taf. There are a fair number of shared use paths, many of which are actually pretty good, and I use whenever I'm on that route.

There are some in Cardiff where there are cycle lanes bollarded off from the main roadway, and separate from the footway (pavement).

Top Bottom