Yet another elderly person killed by a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristolian

This is the first suggestion I've seen that a peloton was involved. That has not been reported AFAICT.

I never said a peloton was involved. I used the expression "wanna-be peloton fraternity" to describe those cyclists that ride as if they are constantly in a race and that is the only thing that matters so they'll be damned if they'll slow down. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I really dislike towpaths as cycle routes, and I can imagine the increased interest in gravel bikes have brought a lot of towpaths and bridleways into view as an easy, relatively safe and traffic free alternative to the road, but that doesn't mean it's welcome or safe for the other users.

I have used miles of canal paths for years. Of course it is safe. Providing the cyclist is not an idiot. How difficult is it to stop, get off and push?

Bristolian

Found not guilty - will all the pitchfork-wielding, "hanging's too good for him" ragers (some in this thread!) wind their necks back in please.

Why? I have an opinion and am at liberty to express it (within the confines of the law). Indeed, I have fought for the right for everyone in the UK to have this right and am not about to give it up. your views and mine may not coincide but we both have the right to disagree :okay:

I really dislike towpaths as cycle routes, and I can imagine the increased interest in gravel bikes have brought a lot of towpaths and bridleways into view as an easy, relatively safe and traffic free alternative to the road, but that doesn't mean it's welcome or safe for the other users.

Towpaths are fine

but they are a shared space

some of the ones I ride on are mostly overgrown with a path a couple of feet wide

so if a bike comes up behind aa walker then you mostly have to slow down to walking speed
it is called sharing the path
mostly when a wider bit comes up you can say "excuse me" and they stand to the side and you can pass

I have an ebike - at times I spend the whole canal part of the ride on "off" mode so I can ride slowly enough to stay behind other people

riding is not always about speed and training
sometimes it is a bout a nice ride in the country

kids learn to share in Nursery

some adults need to re-learn stuff

Alex321

Guru
Clearlt not guilty of anything, so any civil claim would be doomed to failure.

Not at all true.

In a criminal case, you are only guilty if proved "beyond reasonable doubt".

In a civil case, liability is determined on "balance of probabilities". A MUCH lower standard of proof.

Reactions: mjr

Alex321

Guru
I get that and understand the difference between precedent and probability.

In this case, there was clearly no doubt. The guy was not guilty and therefore any civil claim would be doomed to fail.

We could argue all night of course, but only time will tell.

What on earth makes you think there was "clearly no doubt"?

If it were that clear, it would never have got to court. The CPS have a general policy of only taking it to court if they believe they have a good chance of winning.

classic33

Leg End Member
What on earth makes you think there was "clearly no doubt"?

If it were that clear, it would never have got to court. The CPS have a general policy of only taking it to court if they believe they have a good chance of winning.
A person is dead as a result of what happened.
Why don't we just remember that bit, and watch what we do the next time we find ourselves in a similar situation, as regards passing pedestrians on a shared path.

Reminds me of an occasion on the Monsal Trail, which I posted a while back.
On the famous viaduct, there were a lot of walkers of mixed age and probably ability, milling about admiring the scenery.
Suddenly, from behind me, I heard an urgent ting, ting, ting of a cycle bell. Two cyclists then rode, or rather wove through all the walkers at speeds much too fast for the situation apparently expecting all to suddenly be aware of their presence and get out of THEIR way. It obviously never occurred to either of them that some of the walkers could be deaf or not paying attention and decide to vere off to one side to look at something. :whistle:

The Monsal Trail is the very definition of a shared space where a cyclist gives way to everything, it's advertised as a shared space for everyone and makes a point of telling us how inclusive it is - the cycle hire places have a good range of accessible bikes for instance. These two sound like a pair of plonkers plus if you ride too fast you miss the absolutely stunning scenary!

Near me signs have started appearing making it absolutely clear that whilst they are designated NCNs, cyclists have to proceed considerately and pedestrians have priority. Cyclists are welcome and safe on canal towpaths if we follow those simple rules.

Solocle

Über Member
The Monsal Trail is the very definition of a shared space where a cyclist gives way to everything, it's advertised as a shared space for everyone and makes a point of telling us how inclusive it is - the cycle hire places have a good range of accessible bikes for instance. These two sound like a pair of plonkers plus if you ride too fast you miss the absolutely stunning scenary!

Near me signs have started appearing making it absolutely clear that whilst they are designated NCNs, cyclists have to proceed considerately and pedestrians have priority. Cyclists are welcome and safe on canal towpaths if we follow those simple rules.

I recently did a stretch of towpath into Bath on a road bike.
b33Z1P9Uq2COd3VdQaAEDKB7jzk5PyIFP2xeq8IM-2048x1536.jpg

Now, I do exactly that - I slow down when approaching pedestrians, prepare to give way if necessary, and say hello to alert them to my presence.

But towpaths are generally so narrow that you can't give a massive amount of space. So you compensate with reduced speed.

However. It sounds like the chap in this case was going just above walking pace. That's eminently the sort of speed you do when passing pedestrians carefully, otherwise, you're not passing them.

And if the pedestrian turns out to be unaware and veers into your path? Well, a walking speed collision won't generally be that bad. The chap could just as easily have been a runner.

But freak outcomes do happen, which very sadly was the case here.

to be fair I have very seldom met idiot cyclists on the towpaths I normally ride on

they are not suitable, in most cases, for "training" type people which helps
but I do worry about one which is fairly straight and a good surface but with a few unsighted bends

I have occasionally knocked down (honest!) the eassist level on my bike and tried to see how fast I can do it - that normally gets messed up by meeting other people and having to slow down
I have done it a couple of times without meeting anyone
but the strava best times are WAY faster - which is no surprise - but at that speed I wonder how the rider would have spotted a walked - possible plus dog on extending lead - around some of the corners!

I recently did a stretch of towpath into Bath on a road bike.
View attachment 737202
Now, I do exactly that - I slow down when approaching pedestrians, prepare to give way if necessary, and say hello to alert them to my presence.

But towpaths are generally so narrow that you can't give a massive amount of space. So you compensate with reduced speed.

However. It sounds like the chap in this case was going just above walking pace. That's eminently the sort of speed you do when passing pedestrians carefully, otherwise, you're not passing them.

And if the pedestrian turns out to be unaware and veers into your path? Well, a walking speed collision won't generally be that bad. The chap could just as easily have been a runner.

But freak outcomes do happen, which very sadly was the case here.

I mean your picture absolutely sums up why I love cycling on towpaths, the scenary is stunning on many towpaths. That aqueduct reminds me of the one over the River Lune which carries the Lancaster Canal. Not suprising as both were designed by John Rennie! ^_^

P1030057.jpg

Top Bottom