Yet another elderly person killed by a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
So the guy is an idiot because he didn't get off and push? I'd be interested know how often you get off and push if passing people in a similar situation. Not often at all I'd suggest.

I think Steve is talking generally rather than about the cyclist involved in this case. Canal tow paths are safe, providing those using them don't treat them like a racetrack. We may not have to get off and push very often, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't if need be.

albion

Guru
The 'career' police involved should be sacked. A waste of public funds in persuit self promotion.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think Steve is talking generally rather than about the cyclist involved in this case. Canal tow paths are safe, providing those using them don't treat them like a racetrack. We may not have to get off and push very often, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't if need be.
I'm sure that's right but in this case I really don't think there was any need.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So the guy is an idiot because he didn't get off and push? I'd be interested know how often you get off and push if passing people in a similar situation. Not often at all I'd suggest.

I am in Denmark. We have big cycle paths and rarely have to get off and push. But I did this week on the prom on the Isle of Man. But by your response it sounds like it is beneath you to get off and push. So your suggestion is totally unfounded.

ricknmorty28

From Times

Elderly woman died days after cyclist sent her ‘flying’ on Thames towpath, court told
Rider charged with causing bodily harm by ‘wanton or furious driving’ following fatal collision with 81-year-old

Fiona Parker SENIOR NEWS REPORTER
8 July 2024 • 9:51pm
Edward Bressan is accused of cycling 'wantonly or furiously'
An 81-year-old woman died after a collision with a cyclist on a towpath sent her “flying through the air”, a court has heard.

Polly Friedhoff “sustained serious injuries to her head, arms and ribs” and died 12 days after Edward Bressan tried to overtake her on the left-hand side, as she walked with her friend Ewa Huggins near Iffley Lock, Oxford.

Mr Bressan, 56, told police he had rung a bell to signal to Mrs Friedhoff and her companion as he went to overtake the pair.

too many crazy cyclists out there! people need to make themselves more known on the roads, be brighter and always have some form of bell, then it would maybe avoid such sad accidents like this

albion

Guru
Yes, some even suggest you get off the bike rather than go walking pace thus reducing space even further.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
70 by cattle is crazy, I still think there should be zero by bikes it's just not something you think you'd die by

That 70 must be worldwide.
BMJ suggest average 4-5 deaths per annum in UK. Majority are farm workers, rest are lone walkers with a dog, and the vast majority involves a cow with calf, i.e the Cow feels its calf is being threatened and defends it.

classic33

Leg End Member
So are most roads and bridleways. The main difference with towpaths is the water hazard one side, but that doesn't seem to have been relevant to this case.
Roads we share with bigger, and faster, vehicles than we use, and many complain that they aren't safe due to this sharing. On footpaths we tend to be the bigger, faster, vehicle users. And then complain about slower users on shared footpaths.

The fact that the canal doesn't appear to have been directly relevant to this case may not be as simple and as clean cut as you're implying.
If you're aware of a danger to one side of you, you normally make certain you move the other way if you have to move. It's a survival instinct.

Top Bottom