Would Joining a Cycling Club be Right For Me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
I looked on one of the local clubs sites and they welcome new people along for a ride on Sundays starting at 9! We usually like a lie in on the weekend. I think the ride is about 4 hours, 20 odd miles. That seems to be quite a while out away from SWMBO who would probably want me to help in the garden.

My club starts Saturday rides at 9.00am and Sunday rides at 8.00am. For a welcome or introduction ride that seems very slow. 4 hours, 20 miles is only 5mph average. I feel that would deter many from joining.

Our Intro/Social ride is usually 30 - 35 miles, ridden at an average of 13/13.5 mph. There would be a cafe stop of 30 - 40 minutes. So you'd be out for 3/3½ hours with a ride time of 2½/2¾ hours.

I'm looking for a cycling club in South Wales that is prepared to ride irregularly and at short notice to suit me, at a pace I like, over routes and distances I like, and stopping at cafes of my choice, and that doesn't require me to spend time contacting people to see if they are available. They must also be prepared only to chat when I want to. I don't care what bikes they ride.

Not having any luck.

Alex321

Guru
I'm looking for a cycling club in South Wales that is prepared to ride irregularly and at short notice to suit me, at a pace I like, over routes and distances I like, and stopping at cafes of my choice, and that doesn't require me to spend time contacting people to see if they are available. They must also be prepared only to chat when I want to. I don't care what bikes they ride.

Not having any luck.

Surprisingly, that actually sort of fits the club I'm a member of - Pontyclun Flyers :smile:

Anybody who wants a ride just posts up on the Facebook group when and where they want to start, with a rough idea of distance and speed, and anybody who wants to join just says so in a response to the post.

The person making the initial post generally chooses the route and any café stops.

There are some more or less regular rides, particularly in the summer - Monday and/or Friday mornings, Tuesday and/or Wednesday evenings, and one or two at the weekend.

Not having any luck.

Sounds OK .. ish ...

You missed: "No time-wasting - but happy to stop whenever I see something interesting. ."

Surprisingly, that actually sort of fits the club I'm a member of - Pontyclun Flyers :smile:

Anybody who wants a ride just posts up on the Facebook group when and where they want to start, with a rough idea of distance and speed, and anybody who wants to join just says so in a response to the post.

The person making the initial post generally chooses the route and any café stops.

There are some more or less regular rides, particularly in the summer - Monday and/or Friday mornings, Tuesday and/or Wednesday evenings, and one or two at the weekend.

Sounds good, but I see a couple of problems there:
They'd have to start and finish at my house.
I rarely know the route when starting off, other than turning right or left at the gate.
Speed will depend entirely on how I feel on the day.
I don't do Facebook.
My wife doesn't drive and I often have to change my plans to take her somewhere.

slow horse

Try Cycling U.K., formerly CTC mentioned above
https://www.cyclinguk.org/group-listing
Only if there's a guarantee some of the group won't know how to use their gears properly ^_^.

I rarely know the route when starting off, other than turning right or left at the gate.
I have the same basic decision to make at the beginning of every ride. Almost always turn right. Lately I've been turning left. I don't know what's got into me.

Only if there's a guarantee some of the group won't know how to use their gears properly ^_^.

I have the same basic decision to make at the beginning of every ride. Almost always turn right. Lately I've been turning left. I don't know what's got into me.

Left is uphill to start, right is downhill.

Right mostly wins.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
After walking to and from the dentists this morning I decided to go for a 12 mile ride. I took it slow to begin with to see if I could just admire the countryside. There were little streams running down a couple of roads after yesterday's rain. I stopped at a bridge over a river about 4 miles in where I normally stop. No fish today as the river was right up. I carried on for the next 2 miles to my brother's where I had a coffee and a chat. I came back via a similar route and saw a Jay . I stopped 3 miles from home to watch 5 Buzzards soaring. It was a nice ride set at my own pace. I stopped when I wanted to to take in the views and to get my breath back. It was my first ride out since getting over Covid and am now feeling shattered. I think I need to rest for a while.

Left is uphill to start, right is downhill.

Right mostly wins.

Here, which direction I go depends on where the wind is coming from.

Unless it's a utility ride, where I've a specific place to go. Then, alas, any weather has to be disregarded. I tend to prefer to go out in a headwind and back with a tailwind, but this is the fens, and I always seem to end up with a headwind.

Here, which direction I go depends on where the wind is coming from.

Unless it's a utility ride, where I've a specific place to go. Then, alas, any weather has to be disregarded. I tend to prefer to go out in a headwind and back with a tailwind, but this is the fens, and I always seem to end up with a headwind.

We have very changeable winds here. Headwinds out and home...or so it seems to me.

Gwylan

Veteran
I'm with Groucho Marks on clubs.

For a while I was part of a club, with 2 members. This was a front to get invites to a series of century rides on both sides of the channel
The W&W Cyclistes had several seasons enjoying the Belles d'Europe series.
Then events intervened.

These days I have a few people I cycle with occasionally, at short notice. Generally not all together
Each of them are different and suited to different types of cycling and my mood.
That seems to suit us all.
Recruiting suitable members is the biggest challenge

PaulSB

Squire
@Illaveago I've re-read each of your posts and all those subsequent to your OP suggest a club is not for you. Absolutely nothing wrong with your riding style and interests but in 25 years of club riding, with three different clubs, I haven't come across any club offering the ride style you describe.

One other comment. Clubs generally expect riders to carry the basic "get you home" kit. As a minimum that will be two tubes, levers, etc. to fix a puncture. Riders don't want to hang around while someone patches a tube. Most riders will be carrying more, multi-tool, chain links, etc. In my club if a rider didn't carry kit it would be noticed and commented on. First time folk help out, second they still help but with grumbles, three or more times and you'd become the butt of many jokes. I know one guy who never carried anything, he was eventually told no kit, no ride, we're not helping again.

If you puncture in the middle of nowhere, no mobile signal and no kit?????

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member

Not having any luck.

I am a member of such a club. The sole member! Another stipulation is that club runs are only held in dry weather, wind below 10mph, and temperature above 10C..

Top Bottom