Worksop Carlton 531 Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Its been a while since I did a full build, I’ve been wanting to do this for a while and that’s a 1980’s frame with a mid 90’s groupset.

So I just won this stunning 1989 Carlton 531 Frameset

IMG_1459.jpeg

Plan is to build it up with stuff I already have and run it as a 2x9 Ultegra 6500 with Brifters and a Dura Ace 7700 Crankset. wheelset is again vintage 1990’s which I’ll run 25c clinchers to make it a bit more useable.

So the aim is to produce a classic steel racing bike but with slightly more modern components, but trying to be sympathetic to the frameset, so definitely not a “resto mod”

As soon as frame arrives I’ll post another update

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Its been a while since I did a full build, I’ve been wanting to do this for a while and that’s a 1980’s frame with a mid 90’s groupset.

So I just won this stunning 1989 Carlton 531 Frameset

View attachment 742938

Plan is to build it up with stuff I already have and run it as a 2x9 Ultegra 6500 with Brifters and a Dura Ace 7700 Crankset. wheelset is again vintage 1990’s which I’ll run 25c clinchers to make it a bit more useable.

So the aim is to produce a classic steel racing bike but with slightly more modern components, but trying to be sympathetic to the frameset, so definitely not a “resto mod”

As soon as frame arrives I’ll post another update

Sorry to disillusion you but an 89 frame wasn't built in Worksop, it may have a 'W' prefix frame number and was built by the same workers but the Worksop factory had been shut by then, it closed in 1981. I own an 83 'W' prefix Road Ace frame in 531 and again that was built in Nottingham. you may be lucky and it turns out to be a 79 frame though

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Sorry to disillusion you but an 89 frame wasn't built in Worksop, it may have a 'W' prefix frame number and was built by the same workers but the Worksop factory had been shut by then, it closed in 1981. I own an 83 'W' prefix Road Ace frame in 531 and again that was built in Nottingham. you may be lucky and it turns out to be a 79 frame though

Looks like you’re right, not a problem, I didn’t buy it because it was a Worksop frame. I just really liked it!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru

Here is the frame number

IMG_4207.jpeg

Witzend

1979 as it has over BB guides and nutted brakes ?

I was thinking the same when I saw the cable routing over the BB and lack of bosses on the downtube for the band-on levers.
The paint job also looks more '79 than '89 - and all the better for it.
I'm sure I've seen a jpeg of a typed list of frame numbers, probably on here, that indicates dates/sites. Trawled my hard-drive but no joy as yet.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
1979 as it has over BB guides and nutted brakes ?

Could very well be, making it a Worksop build after all.

My own 'W' prefix frame would have been built by the post 74 Worksop team (the top 6 frame makers having moved to the SBDU) in the Raleigh 'lightweight division' set up in an unused area of the main Nottingham factory. It has been somewhat modified with a now 16 speed gearset (from the standard 12) and bullhorn handlebars but still with downtube shifters.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Anyway, it’s a lovely frame and my era (I was 14 in 1979) and should build up into a great bike. I’ve now got everything, just need the frame to arrive!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
All unpacked and it’s even better than the photos, it also came with some Tetkro nutted dual pivot calipers which I will use to convert the Ultegra 6600’s from a hex, so I won’t need to drill the frame.

First job however will be to service the wheelset, which I’ll probably do at work.

IMG_4231.jpeg

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Nice :smile:. Looks like a Pro that’s been refinished with later seat bolt, top tube guides and mudguard eyes brazed on the portacatena dropouts.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Nice :smile:. Looks like a Pro that’s been refinished with later seat bolt, top tube guides and mudguard eyes brazed on the portacatena dropouts.

It’s definitely been refinished but to an excellent standard, BB has the correct cutouts. Looking at the original specs it could be a Giro d'Italia

Top Bottom