Wild Camping Punishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I wouldn't have camped like that esp in Devon where is are so many patches of common ground you could camp and "arrive late / leave early" you aren't going to bother anyone.

However the farmers response was ott. A firm word, like please don't camp here there is a bull in the corner of the field would have removed the camper pretty sharpish!

@Jameshow is right, it was not a good spot to camp and likely others better. He's on a bike too so it is not like a few miles on wouldn't have been an issue.

I still don't understand the comments about charity money not being used for expenses but by not paying for campsite saves money. So if he isn't using charity money / raised money to fund his trip a campsite fees would be his own to pay. So camping at the nearby campsites surely would not cost the charity money or loss of raised funds. To say that expenses for the trip isn't charged to the charity then say that campsite fees would cost the charity raised funds seems contrary statements.

All this does not stop the farm worker being totally in the wrong but there is a much lesser wrong in the camper's choice too. He doesn't deserve the muck spreading attack but I think it is fair enough to criticise his camping choices in this instance and make suggestions for what would have been a better choice or choices.

Jameshow

Veteran
@Jameshow is right, it was not a good spot to camp and likely others better. He's on a bike too so it is not like a few miles on wouldn't have been an issue.

I still don't understand the comments about charity money not being used for expenses but by not paying for campsite saves money. So if he isn't using charity money / raised money to fund his trip a campsite fees would be his own to pay. So camping at the nearby campsites surely would not cost the charity money or loss of raised funds. To say that expenses for the trip isn't charged to the charity then say that campsite fees would cost the charity raised funds seems contrary statements.

All this does not stop the farm worker being totally in the wrong but there is a much lesser wrong in the camper's choice too. He doesn't deserve the muck spreading attack but I think it is fair enough to criticise his camping choices in this instance and make suggestions for what would have been a better choice or choices.

From what I gathered his wife had died and wanted to save money.

He shouldn't be appropriating fund raising money for personal use (unless it surname is moore!)

Putting a shout out on SM would get many offers of a bed for the night!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What a complere 'bell end' of a farm worker, as others have posted he was just a bloke on a bike not a rowdy with disposable BBQ and empty cans spread around he wouldn't have left a trace once he'd gone.
As for there being 'campsites' nearby in Devon you're probably looking at £25-30 a night just to put a tent up as they take great delight in fleecing 'grockles'

classic33

Leg End Member

The money he might have saved would have gone to the cancer charity. I've never said he was using money destined for a charity, for his own purposes.
Please don't say I have.

If you have trouble thinking about the money saved going to the charity, think about it like this.
You're doing a sponsored event, where a certain amount of what you raise goes to actually enabling your participation. To help increase the the amount raised for the charity, you pay this out of your own pocket. Therefore every penny raised in sponsorship goes to the charity.

To say he's misappropriating money raised isn't very nice either.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Most farm workers I’ve met in the lanes when cycling have been a decent bunch. Farmers on foot I’ve met have usually responded to my greetings in a friendly manner.

Ive camped in farmers fields before after asking. Often got offered eggs or milk in morning. Though one morning I did wake to a cow pushing its nose through the tent door to try and drink my water sitting in a pan for my tea.

OldShep

Über Member
What a complere 'bell end' of a farm worker, as others have posted he was just a bloke on a bike not a rowdy with disposable BBQ and empty cans spread around he wouldn't have left a trace once he'd gone.
As for there being 'campsites' nearby in Devon you're probably looking at £25-30 a night just to put a tent up as they take great delight in fleecing 'grockles'

If I’ve got the location right a near one was C&CC needing membership and the other has 'green' rates. Arriving by bike or foot £15 . ( normally £25)
To me that’s irrelevant the guy wanted to wild camp and chose badly. He could be seen. He’s recently lost his wife and his motive is all part of his grieving process the charity side is just something some people like to do as an extra incentive.

@TW says "He's on a bike too so it is not like a few miles on wouldn't have been an issue."

A days cycling in Devon in and out of the Tamar valley full load of camping gear, yeah 😏

Last edited:
The money he might have saved would have gone to the cancer charity. I've never said he was using money destined for a charity, for his own purposes.
Please don't say I have.

If you have trouble thinking about the money saved going to the charity, think about it like this.
You're doing a sponsored event, where a certain amount of what you raise goes to actually enabling your participation. To help increase the the amount raised for the charity, you pay this out of your own pocket. Therefore every penny raised in sponsorship goes to the charity.

To say he's misappropriating money raised isn't very nice either.

I am not saying that he is appropriating money intended for charity or that you are saying this. I am just saying that either he is paying for his costs or not. If he is then surely campsite fees if a suitable wildcamping place was note available counts as costs he would pay for. He didn't but camped in an unsuitable spot IMHO. His decision I think is wrong on the grounds it was not discrete or in the spirit of wildcamping.

You seem to be saying in here (an addition to your previous comments that I did not follow the logic) that he is taking any savings from avoiding campsight fees and putting it to increase the charity take. That would imply that he factored in campsite fees into his trip expenses he was going to pay himselfe, just in this case chose not to use that part of his budget but save money by his innappropriate camping spot. Judgement call and not what I would do or think he should.
As to locals taxing grockles with £25 campsite fees. That is pretty much the going rate these days so if you are doing this kind of activity you really need to factor that in. Unless you find suitable wildcamping sites. Edge of a worked field near the road isn't exactly that so perhaps he should have paid the grockle tax. Or perhaps have found one of those sites where they list people who allow camping on their land.

No I doubt he is reading my posts or anyone elses on here. However it is a good idea to point out that wildcamping relies on responsible ways of doing it. Even doing it stealthily or with permission. He was near the road on a worked field.

Most C&CC clubs I have been to allow non members admittedly without the membership discount. In most they charge less for small, backpacking tents used by people arriving on foot or by bicycle. Also fit them in somewhere if they are full.

I've not ridden fully loaded much in Devon but did have two weeks in Brittany which AIUI is simillar in the way there are hills after hills allong the coast. We did it fully loaded and with a 4.5 year old carrying his share too. We all managed and any fit cyclist would probably manage it too. If they couldn't they would probably try somewhere else for their challenge ride. It will be tough but I guess that was his challenge. However I do wonder how much harder it would be to stop at the campsite 300m before his spot or ride on for about 400m to the next. That was what I read from a post elsewhere from someone from that area. He made a bad choice and met a nutter with a muck spreader.

TBH, if someone sprayed me with slurry they'd require hospital treatment to have the tractor removed from their rectum.

Yes - but you are a big guy and have the body language to go with it

I reckon he wouldn't have done it to you

but the camper was smaller and less likely to thump him

probably would have given it a second run if it was a woman

Brandane

Legendary Member
es - but you are a big guy and have the body language to go with it

You have fallen for his on-line persona thing. In real life he is 9 stone, 5'4", a retired hairdresser with a dress style based on a certain Welsh weather forecaster.

probably would have given it a second run if it was a woman

Probably wouldn't have given it any runs, if it had been a group of travellers complete with half a dozen caravans and an entourage of transit vans.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As to locals taxing grockles with £25 campsite fees. That is pretty much the going rate these days
I camped a lot in Derbyshire and thought a fiver a night was expensive mind this was on 'Tap and Toilet' sites I noticed though that more and more 'Campsites' with designated bays to put tents in and 'Campsite clubhouses with a shop and Cafe' started to spring up catering more to families with kids and tents like a marquee, I suspect they were more expensive .
A couple of favourites were Haddon Grove, a working Dairy farm which has been a campsite for so long that it is marked on O/S maps and was used by large groups of Scouts/Guides and 'D of E' award participants (big 'cookhouse' tent and a bunch of orange Canvas Vango Force Ten tents) that was £2 a night for walkers/cyclists and being situated halfway along Lathkill Dale had the added bonus of being able to walk along the Dale to Monyash one way or Over Haddon the other with lovely pubs in both and the return journey being by road (around 2-2 1/2 miles)
The other was at Monsall Head owned by a lovely guy called Peter. Now I'd been there a few times so knew both him and the place but the first time Maz and I went we were walking up the road with Rucksacks and a car coming the other way stopped and the woman driving said "Are you going to the Campsite cos we've just been there and it's full, they turned us away".........Maz was a bit concerned about this but I just said "Shush" and we carried on for the last mile. Upon arrival Peter greeted me fondly and we set up the tent Maz was a bit perplexed until I told her "he always has room for anyone 'backpacking/walking' and will turn away people in cars to leave room for them"

There is a world of difference between campers and people having a Holiday in a tent with a gazebo, loads of chairs, BBQ and music system who just drive everywhere. :cursing:

Top Bottom