Wild Camping Punishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I thought the camper saw it coming and ducked into the tent. Does that make it that assault is harder to prove but criminal damage mmight be the charge should it go that way?

From what I heard there were two legitimate campsites a matter of a few hundred yards either way of the the cyclist. Anyone know why the camper didn't just use them? I've turned up very late at campsites quite a few times and just picked a spot then paid up the next day. That is kind of accepted practise if late arriving as a backpacker or cycletourist like this guy. Either way this would never have happened if he had used those campsites, not that I am condoning the farm worker's actions. I just think I can't really support a guy who was also a bit of a nob for doing that near pukka campsites. Also, if you did do that then late pitch and very early rise too then confrontation is less likely too.

I think two people could do with learning a lesson here, the farm worker most of all though.

I suppose it could be a bit of a nightmare trying to find out who owns a particular field in the middle of nowhere.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The driver could have carried on perfectly easily, simply cutting the spreader when passing the cyclist. Deserves the condemnation and, I hope, criminal sanction.

classic33

Leg End Member
The driver, if not the farm owner, may have just got his employer into serious trouble.
You can't disturb nesting birds at this time of year, and the second hit could be a big hit in the pockets/bank balance.
There's a 2 metre buffer zone, in which slurry should not be spread.
Maybe it'll be brought to the attention of those in charge.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hedgero...strips#report-a-suspected-breach-of-the-rules

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru

classic33

Leg End Member
I suppose it could be a bit of a nightmare trying to find out who owns a particular field in the middle of nowhere.
Cow slurry, if taken from the tank in almost liquid form, from under the shed where the cows are kept, will stain any clothing. The smell will take a fair bit of washing to even start getting rid of the smell. If it were pig slurry, then the best he can do is simply replace things, don't even try to wash them.

I'd a full set of clothes hung out on a wet week, all week, and had to leave them. Another set were securely double bagged, and brought home. It cleared the luggage collection area at Holyhead ferry terminal, when "police" insisted on opening both bags. And had nothing to use to replace the bags they opened.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Cow slurry, if taken from the tank in almost liquid form, from under the shed where the cows are kept, will stain any clothing. The smell will take a fair bit of washing to even start getting rid of the smell. If it were pig slurry, then the best he can do is simply replace things, don't even try to wash them.

I'd a full set of clothes hung out on a wet week, all week, and had to leave them. Another set were securely double bagged, and brought home. It cleared the luggage collection area at Holyhead ferry terminal, when "police" insisted on opening both bags. And had nothing to use to replace the bags they opened.

Don't need to tell me about slurry. I still remember stepping on the crusty pile in the farmyard only to end up to my neck in it as a child. :laugh:

Easy to find the owner of a campsite field just down the road. Cutting costs? What does that matter, if you can not find a suitable wildcamp spot and you pass a campsite you should use that. If you are raising money do you actually need to cut costs? What I mean is you use your own money to do the challenge journey and raise the money to give to the charity. Cutting costs implies he's using charity funding to pay for the trip,

There are two things here. A tool of a farm worker who deserves sanction and a lesser tool but still a tool of a camper who ignored campsites either side of his innapropriate camp spot. Nobody is in the right here. Charity ride or not!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Easy to find the owner of a campsite field just down the road. Cutting costs? What does that matter, if you can not find a suitable wildcamp spot and you pass a campsite you should use that. If you are raising money do you actually need to cut costs? What I mean is you use your own money to do the challenge journey and raise the money to give to the charity. Cutting costs implies he's using charity funding to pay for the trip,

There are two things here. A tool of a farm worker who deserves sanction and a lesser tool but still a tool of a camper who ignored campsites either side of his innapropriate camp spot. Nobody is in the right here. Charity ride or not!!
The less he spends on his trip, the more he raises for the cancer charity. Not using charity money to fund his trip/fund raising.

The biggest tool was the one driving the tractor towing the slurry tanker. His actions were illegal, see the 2m buffer zone piece above, and the disturbing nesting birds, between April and the end of August. Both can leave the landowner in trouble. Possibly not able to apply for the next five years for many grants, farming schemes.

I've seen a contractor relieve a driver, finishing him on the spot, leaving him with a long walk home.

OldShep

Über Member
I’m not surprised to discover it’s in Devon I’ve met some right miserable bu**ers down there 😂.
I am surprised how many seemingly to be Joe public comment, on various sites, in support of the farmer and reinforce it being 'private land'. I’m very lucky and appreciative to be living in an enlightened Scotland.
That type of splatter plate slurry spreader cannot be used in Scotland either. We use the likes of dribbler bars up here for accuracy and to minimise the contact of the slurry with the air.
I would assume the driver is the farmer as it’s only a small mixed farm of 200 cattle 500/sheep I think. He also states he was up at 6 hence our wild camper still there.
TW or TM has I’m sure hiked past campsites to get to his wild camps 😏

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't need to tell me about slurry. I still remember stepping on the crusty pile in the farmyard only to end up to my neck in it as a child. :laugh:
The current stuff is nothing like the stuff of years ago that left a "crusty pile" for you to fall on. Silage has changed it to a liquid form, that isn't anything like you remember. The smell is also a lot worse.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wouldn't wonder he's got a few mantraps dotted around.
'Pesky lower orders don't know their place. Camping on the edge of my field indeed!'

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
The current stuff is nothing like the stuff of years ago that left a "crusty pile" for you to fall on. Silage has changed it to a liquid form, that isn't anything like you remember. The smell is also a lot worse.

Yeah probably, but it was pretty liquefied back then as it was like quicksand and it set a pretty good rescue plan going.

I live beside a farm now, only a small one mind, but the beasts are wintered in the field adjoining my garden which I love. They move around April May to the upper fields for fresh grass and the field is then ploughed and planted for crops.

I think the farmer has fallen out with my neighbour as he has gathered it into one pile and stored it right outside his fence. It doesn't look if its changed that much from when I was a boy.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah probably, but it was pretty liquefied back then as it was like quicksand and it set a pretty good rescue plan going.

I live beside a farm now, only a small one mind, but the beasts are wintered in the field adjoining my garden which I love. They move around April May to the upper fields for fresh grass and the field is then ploughed and planted for crops.

I think the farmer has fallen out with my neighbour as he has gathered it into one pile and stored it right outside his fence. It doesn't look if its changed that much from when I was a boy.
Sounds as though they've been fed on hay, and not silage. Wintered outside, their discharge will be a bit more solid than those kept inside.

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

There is always one nasty farmer, most of the farmers I know, would never do anything like that.
I always camped in the farmers fields, but I would always ask first. I would buy fresh milk off one and over time he changed two of his fields into a camping club for underprivileged kids. Most farmers are kind hearted guys.

Top Bottom