Where would I cycle in this situation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
"..that's what comes of 'employing' locals to assist in the map making when you've invaded their country,"
Do you mean the British Normans? After that, Ireland was British, so one cannot invade one's own country. :whistle:

Most of America was also 'British' along with sizeable areas of the rest of the world. :whistle:

Reactions: C R

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you mean the republic, then maybe, I doubt that The country has been completely surveyed, since the British last did before the partition,
I am off to Eire this weekend using my Irish OS maps,published by Ordnance Survey Ireland, weirdly under Crown copyrights, so perhaps it's based on pre 1921 info?
It's not uncommon, I also sail, some of the charts haven't changed much going back centuries!

Possible now with satellite imagery that they've corrected some of the errors. BTW the info not to really trust bearings on the maps was imparted to us by a warden at an IYHA hostel in Cork I seem to remember (long time ago) as we headed out for a ramble.
Off topic but driving the 'Ring Of Kerry' was weird, we stopped at this gigantic pub that was virtually empty until 20 minutes later when 4 coaches stopped in quick succession, the pub got very full very quickly, luckily we'd already ordered food and I'd just bought my 2nd pint.

Yeah, Wikipedia isn't always accurate.

Some of those Welsh counties don't actually exist any more - Brecknockshire and Montgomeryshire are both actually now part of Powys, Merionethshire is part of Gwynedd, neither of which are listed above, even though both should be. Cardiganshire is now called Ceredigion.

"In fact that Wikishire is complete and utter rubbish so far as Wales is concerned. "

Yup - a terrible site, should NOT be compared with wikipedia!
I found it the other day researching Berkshire - it still lists Abingdon as the county town!

grldtnr

Über Member
The A12 is not in Norfolk.

No it isn't, but I was referencing the A12 to Lowestoft which is pretty near to Norfolk, the county road for Norfolk is the A14/A140.
As Bernard Matthews used to say... 'mmmm Narfok an' good' , which if you say it right.......
By extension Suffolk is better.....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No it isn't, but I was referencing the A12 to Lowestoft which is pretty near to Norfolk, the county road for Norfolk is the A14/A140.
The A14 is neither a county road (it's a trunk road) nor in Norfolk. The A140 is both but piffling because it only goes to near Stowmarket. The main road to Norfolk is the A11 which connects to the M11 south of Cambridge to London.

Top Bottom