Where would I cycle in this situation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

Über Member
<finds comfy chair>

With or without an OS map?

grldtnr

Über Member
The maps of Ireland are not so accurate though, that's what comes of 'employing' locals to assist in the map making when you've invaded their country, some headings can be 'off' by nearly 30 degrees and distances awry by several miles.

If you mean the republic, then maybe, I doubt that The country has been completely surveyed, since the British last did before the partition,
I am off to Eire this weekend using my Irish OS maps,published by Ordnance Survey Ireland, weirdly under Crown copyrights, so perhaps it's based on pre 1921 info?
It's not uncommon, I also sail, some of the charts haven't changed much going back centuries!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I've never ended up on a motorway, but passing through Warrington I couldn't find any signposts to Chester that weren't marked M56, it was only after I'd followed the M56 signs for a while that A-road alternatives appeared on the signs.

Manufacturers copy branded package designs because people find what they're looking for by shape & colour.

Want my smartphone apps sorted by colour (which I remember), not description, which I sometimes don't.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Argyll and Bute

classic33

Leg End Member
The maps of Ireland are not so accurate though, that's what comes of 'employing' locals to assist in the map making when you've invaded their country, some headings can be 'off' by nearly 30 degrees and distances awry by several miles.
The Irish Mile, longer than the mile used in England, was used for distance in Ireland. Which is why Km was used on their distance signs. Even before they went to speed limits in the same unit of measurement.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you mean the republic, then maybe, I doubt that The country has been completely surveyed, since the British last did before the partition,
I am off to Eire this weekend using my Irish OS maps,published by Ordnance Survey Ireland, weirdly under Crown copyrights, so perhaps it's based on pre 1921 info?
It's not uncommon, I also sail, some of the charts haven't changed much going back centuries!
If you think the OSI maps are using pre 1921 information, you're behind the times.
Once Northern Ireland was created, both parts of Ireland had their own offices, producing their own maps.

Jenkins

Legendary Member

Alex321

Guru
I've had to look this up and (bearing in mind that the results are from Wikipedia) they are...

Yeah, Wikipedia isn't always accurate.

Some of those Welsh counties don't actually exist any more - Brecknockshire and Montgomeryshire are both actually now part of Powys, Merionethshire is part of Gwynedd, neither of which are listed above, even though both should be. Cardiganshire is now called Ceredigion.

In fact that Wikishire is complete and utter rubbish so far as Wales is concerned. I think the last time the counties looked like that was the early 70's. By the time I went to University in Swansea, Glamorgan had already been split into three counties - South, Mid and West Glamorgan. Not sure about the rest, but the only current counties matching their map are Anglesey, Flintshire, Pembokeshire and Camargenshire. Denbighshire still exists, but part of what is shown as Denbighshire is now Conway.

Top Bottom