Where would I cycle in this situation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackrat

1724769998541.jpeg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You need to give us context and more info

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Would I be correct in assuming it's something to do with this sign? I can't see any cycle path signs on the path so would cycle on the road as usual. There is a marked cycle lane a few hundred yards further up after the mini roundabout.
1724770589691.png

OP
OP
B

blackrat

You need to give us context and more info

Yup, I'm back: I got this of the EDP24 web site this morning, apparently a van driver and cyclist got into it, no details I'm afraid because I do not have a subscription to that paper. Anyway. I was wondering if I come across this road on my tour through Britain, where would I be expected to ride so as not to pee off drivers? The road itself does not have any shoulder, is it the path between the hedges I should aim for?

albion

Guru
Yup, I'm back: I got this of the EDP24 web site this morning, apparently a van driver and cyclist got into it, no details I'm afraid because I do not have a subscription to that paper. Anyway. I was wondering if I come across this road on my tour through Britain, where would I be expected to ride so as not to pee off drivers? The road itself does not have any shoulder, is it the path between the hedges I should aim for?

You ride to the situation. There is a parked car so the road looks 100% fine should you choose.

Alex321

Guru

No, you should ride on the road. If it annoys drivers, THEY are in the wrong.

Brandane

Legendary Member
where would I be expected to ride so as not to pee off drivers?

You will pee off drivers, no matter where you ride. You will pee them off even if you are cycling nowhere near them. It's all part of the "fun" of cycling in the UK...
And not just cycling; there is an overall sense of entitlement going on with a significant percentage of our great public.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Just a general point. This is a shared use path sign.
1724773789137.png

If you see that sign on a path beside the main roadway you may use it (but obviously take care around pedestrians/children/dogs etc). But you are not obligated to use it. If it looks like a rubbish surface, or if it is bad for some other reason, then continue using the road.

If you don't see such a sign (and there isn't one in this case), then you should not use the path beside the roadway as it is for pedestrians only.

The only roads I can think of that have "shoulders" that cyclists can use are main dual carriageways. These vary but can be pretty much like motorways, with 70mph limits. They can be very unpleasant to ride on due to the high speeds of the traffic.

As mentioned above there is a significant subset of drivers in the UK who are peed off by the very sight of a cyclist. It's best not to engage in heated arguments with them, and I'd advise strongly against breaking van windows (as per the article).

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blackrat

I thought in an attempt to soften drivers hearts when they see me cycling north to John o' Groats I might carry a sign saying I ride for the Koalas (I contribute) but the latest news letter that came yesterday said that hundreds of koalas are killed on Australia's roads every year, so now I am thinking maybe a sign like that might just make be a target.

Blackrat, for my sins I have a subscription to the EDP, there isn't a lot of information on their site. Apart from, there was an altercation between a van driver and a cyclist. Apparently the police are looking for the cyclist, the van side window was broken. Have no more information atm.

Top Bottom