What to do? Modify or sell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
No, he doesn't stock either of those brands. I haven't asked whether he can get something as a one-off, though. It's possible.

The brands he stocks are Giant, Raleigh, Dawes, Claud Butler, Cube and a few others.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No, he doesn't stock either of those brands. I haven't asked whether he can get something as a one-off, though. It's possible.

The brands he stocks are Giant, Raleigh, Dawes, Claud Butler, Cube and a few others.

Genesis is a Madison brand, Madison is also the UK agent of Shimano.

It is highly likely the bike shop has a Madison account - most do - so ought to be able to get Genesis bikes.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Dawes Galaxy Cross? Flat bar, disc brakes, steel, 600 notes.

That ticks a lot of boxes I reckon.
That ticks them all, pretty much. I'm just stunned and embarrassed that I didn't think of it myself. I think I have been assuming I will need to pay more on top to change the bike, and never thought of looking down the range, price-wise. My only concern is that the Cross is 1kg heavier than the Cromo. As the rest of the spec is very similar, I assume that's down to the discs.

Thank you for the pointer. I will phone the LBS as soon as my wife goes out.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That ticks them all, pretty much. I'm just stunned and embarrassed that I didn't think of it myself. I think I have been assuming I will need to pay more on top to change the bike, and never thought of looking down the range, price-wise. My only concern is that the Cross is 1kg heavier than the Cromo. As the rest of the spec is very similar, I assume that's down to the discs.

I assumed you had looked at ready made Dawes flat bar tourers.

A bit lardier and not quite such nice bikes, as you say.

But given where you are with the existing Galaxy, a p/ex does make a lot of sense.

My local bike shop would take the Galaxy into used stock to sell on my behalf, but would want paying for the new bike.

Worth asking because it does at least enable you to ride your bike in and ride the new one out.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Not surprised you assumed that. I'm busy kicking my own butt here. The LBS was very clear that he would take the Gakaxy as part-ex, not a commission sale or anything, so it would be ride-in, ride-out. On paper, it seems an ideal solution. I am prepared to take a bit of a hit with the money (the price of an impulse purchase, I guess) but given a bit of negotiation it could be cost-effective for me. I'd want to upgrade the tyres on the Cross, for example, and keep the Brooks saddle.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@raleighnut Take a look at this

http://dawescycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Touring-Geometries.pdf

and you'll see that the frame geometries of bikes, in the same range, from the same manufacturer, that are designed for flat bars are strikingly different to those designed for drops. Another reason why conversions are something of a kludge.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

1kg? You won't notice the difference.

out of interest which bit of West Wales you in?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not surprised you assumed that. I'm busy kicking my own butt here. The LBS was very clear that he would take the Gakaxy as part-ex, not a commission sale or anything, so it would be ride-in, ride-out. On paper, it seems an ideal solution. I am prepared to take a bit of a hit with the money (the price of an impulse purchase, I guess) but given a bit of negotiation it could be cost-effective for me. I'd want to upgrade the tyres on the Cross, for example, and keep the Brooks saddle.

Good to hear the shop will take your bike as a part-ex.

You have a desirable bike, but it's only desirable to the shop if he thinks he can sell it, which he clearly does.

All shops have their market, and it's the bike shop owners who understand that who survive.

One thing against a commission sale is I expect your bike will take a while to sell, meaning you would have to wait for the money.

This time of year is all about childrens' bikes for Christmas for many shops.

Adult bikes don't sell well in November/December, and a tourer is unlikely to go until the better weather is at least on the horizon, so maybe March/April next year.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@raleighnut Take a look at this

http://dawescycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Touring-Geometries.pdf

and you'll see that the frame geometries of bikes, in the same range, from the same manufacturer, that are designed for flat bars are strikingly different to those designed for drops. Another reason why conversions are something of a kludge.
Look near on identical to me apart from the flatbar having less fork offset to speed up the steering and a 4-5mm longer top tube. I've seen no end of older Galaxies (531 Frames) with 'butterfly' bars on.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Look near on identical to me apart from the flatbar having less fork offset to speed up the steering and a 4-5mm longer top tube. I've seen no end of older Galaxies (531 Frames) with 'butterfly' bars on.
All the converted butterflied galaxies hereabout (ctc and three local clubs) seem to ridden by older folk whose hips/backs mean they can no longer ride drops (or who are riding bikes that some would claim are the wrong size)

I think, briefly, Dawes used to make one new with said bars/ About the era of the Horizon iirc?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm one of those 'older folk' now, the only bikes left with drops on are my Carlton and the Equipe (retro build with suicide brakes) the other 2 lightweights (531 Worksop Raleigh and 653 TT bike) have bullhorns but all those would just look 'wrong' with butterfly bars. I do have a few 'feelers' out for an old Galaxy though but only one that needs a full rebuild and is at the right price (cheap) that'll get butterflies on it.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
1kg? You won't notice the difference.

out of interest which bit of West Wales you in?
The Galaxy Cromo is already a shade over 14kg, and the Cross is another kg on top of that, so both chunky devices. Every little doesn't help.

I'm near to Haverfordwest.

You close?

Top Bottom