What to do? Modify or sell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
What about down tube shifters http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-VINTA...026118?hash=item2809cb8ac6:g:3SIAAOSwWnFV8eic
Chop the bars to make them more like cow horns use original levers as brakes only, Should cost you 30 odd quid, Just a thought.^_^
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/170013/
I like down tube levers, and I had a look at the frame, but there are bosses there for the gear cables and fitting shift levers there would be a bodge. Changing would involve cutting off the cable bosses and brazing shifter bosses on - not realistic, I am afraid. Thanks for the idea.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Coz u seem a nice guy I will do a straight swap. Will take Dawes off your hands. Don't have to thank me, just organise courier from your end.
View attachment 109373
Wow, that's what I have always wanted! Cash your way, obviously ...

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Some really worthwhile contributions here, and I thank you all. I'm getting in a bit of a pickle over this and thinking about it when I ought to be trying to get some sleep, so other people's views are very helpful. Trying to take some of the points above:

I think the drop bars on the Dawes are the main issue. I rode drop bar bikes from the age of 14 to about 35, but since then 99% of my riding has been on an MTB. I don't find the drops very comfy and I prefer a more upright riding position these days. Other than the position (and those levers) the bike is superb. The frame is superbly comfy. I guess the question is simply - is it better to fit flat bars/bar ends and thumb shifters to the Dawes (most of which I could offset by selling the Sora STIs), and end up with a knit-your-own hybrid, or cut my losses, sell the Dawes and start again - this time knowing much more about what I want. (I think the Dawes was a bit of an impulse buy, to be honest. Most of my riding is poor-quality back roads, and the Dawes, even though it seems quite rugged and a touring bike, seems a bit too 'roady' for that.)

The spec for the ideal bike would be: steel rigid frame, flat bars/bar ends, triple chainset with good low range of gears, thumb shifters, disc brakes, 26" wheels. All doable, except for the brakes, but I think it would be better to move the bike on to someone who wanted a dedicated tourer, and use the Raleigh until I can sort out a bike that is closer to my needs. A swap would be ideal, of course, but would need a dose of luck. I think I will get rid of the Dawes by whatever means and start again, but probably in the Spring. I will definitely pop back to my LBS to see if they would do a buy-back or part-exchange, and perhaps put a post on here to see if anyone is interested in a sale or swap - otherwise, put it back in the garage and wait until the warmer weather returns.

I've been chewing this over for weeks, and the opinions here have really helped me focus on the important things, so thanks to everyone.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXKAFFAPEXFB/planet-x-kaffenback-sram-apex-flat-bar-urban-bike ??? (not quite but ....)

zizou

Veteran
Some really worthwhile contributions here, and I thank you all. I'm getting in a bit of a pickle over this and thinking about it when I ought to be trying to get some sleep, so other people's views are very helpful. Trying to take some of the points above:

I think the drop bars on the Dawes are the main issue. I rode drop bar bikes from the age of 14 to about 35, but since then 99% of my riding has been on an MTB. I don't find the drops very comfy and I prefer a more upright riding position these days. Other than the position (and those levers) the bike is superb. The frame is superbly comfy. I guess the question is simply - is it better to fit flat bars/bar ends and thumb shifters to the Dawes (most of which I could offset by selling the Sora STIs), and end up with a knit-your-own hybrid, or cut my losses, sell the Dawes and start again - this time knowing much more about what I want. (I think the Dawes was a bit of an impulse buy, to be honest. Most of my riding is poor-quality back roads, and the Dawes, even though it seems quite rugged and a touring bike, seems a bit too 'roady' for that.)

The spec for the ideal bike would be: steel rigid frame, flat bars/bar ends, triple chainset with good low range of gears, thumb shifters, disc brakes, 26" wheels. All doable, except for the brakes, but I think it would be better to move the bike on to someone who wanted a dedicated tourer, and use the Raleigh until I can sort out a bike that is closer to my needs. A swap would be ideal, of course, but would need a dose of luck. I think I will get rid of the Dawes by whatever means and start again, but probably in the Spring. I will definitely pop back to my LBS to see if they would do a buy-back or part-exchange, and perhaps put a post on here to see if anyone is interested in a sale or swap - otherwise, put it back in the garage and wait until the warmer weather returns.

You could try a stem with greater rise to get a more upright position.

The flat bar / bar end position should be easy to recreate with drop bars by riding on the tops and hoods (the hoods are what most riders will use most of the time rather than the drops) so if you are feeling it so much more uncomfortable with the drops on your Dawes than the flat bars on your Raleigh then that to me suggests the issue is elsewhere on the bike fit - you can make a few tweaks to make this better without having to sell the bike or go into the expense of converting shifters and brakes.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro

That looks pretty close to ideal. Just a triple chainset short of perfect ... will bookmark that for later, thanks.

You could try a stem with greater rise to get a more upright position.

The flat bar / bar end position should be easy to recreate with drop bars by riding on the tops and hoods (the hoods are what most riders will use most of the time rather than the drops) so if you are feeling it so much more uncomfortable with the drops on your Dawes than the flat bars on your Raleigh then that to me suggests the issue is elsewhere on the bike fit - you can make a few tweaks to make this better without having to sell the bike or go into the expense of converting shifters and brakes.

I had considered a higher stem, but it's the narrowness of the bars rather than (or as well as) the drop position that I am not getting on with. My MTB bars are as wide as my shoulders, and that opens up my chest for deep breathing on the climbs. I've had asthma since childhood and although I rarely suffer from it now, my ribcage is slightly bigger than it should be and needs room to expand. On the Dawes I feel slightly constricted and perhaps that it as the root of my discomfort. Thanks for asking the question, as until now I hadn't really considered why I felt like I do. I think that is the main issue.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Quick update. I've been back to my LBS and had a chat. He would be willing to take the Galaxy in part-exchange for a different bike, which opens up a number of possibilities. However, he doubted if I could get anything within a reasonable budget with a steel frame - steel is now either entry-level gas pipe or hand-built with nothing in between. Is that really true? I give him a basic spec of steel frame, rigid, flat bars, disc brakes (preferably) and eyes for mudguards and rack, and he really couldn't come up with anything. The nearest was something out of the Giant catalogue which was carbon. (fast road Comax?). He thinks that by far the most sensible idea is to fit flat bars to the Galaxy. I think he may be right.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
He's right about the flat bar option, but not about steel.

Change the Dawes.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
He's right about the flat bar option, but not about steel.

Change the Dawes.
Can you expand that a bit for me? Do you mean there are steel bikes available and he doesn't know of them (to be fair, he is a small bike shop in a rural area, not Evans), or that steel isn't a good frame material?

If you mean there are decent steel framed bikes about, can you suggest a line of enquiry? I've done a lot of browsing the various suppliers, and it seems hard to get away from aluminium in the £800-ish range. I'm not interested in carbon and I doubt if I am in Ti territory, but remember my knowledge of bike technology faded out in about 1993 and I am having to learn it all again.

Top Bottom