What is your Car/s value / Home value ratio?

What is your Car(s) value / Home value ratio?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Less than1% for me. Not because the house is anything special (a 1 bed maisonette) but the car cant be worth anything (a 2008 Toyota Yaris and I suspect it has a high mileage). I bought it in circa 2012 as a low mileage car, did very low mileage for 2 years but then worked 55miles away for 5 years and even with cycling at least 7miles (20 when I was training for LBL) 5 days a week would have saw it add up (circa 87miles in the car each day). My next work still involved circa 25miles drive each way for 2-3 years. My current commute is actually my longest so far but its bike-train-bike and only two days a week so I'm back to very low annual mileage but the damage will have been done!

Alex321

Guru
We actually have three vehicles - An Insignia Estate (2015), a Micra (also 2015) and a camper van (2010).

Between them, the value of the three vehicles is just under 5% of the value of the house, with the camper being worth as much as the two cars put together.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not sure that the results will be meaningful:

1. I live in a “cheap” property region, so, 4 bed detached house, but, only worth about £325k, my son owns a similar house west of London, £800k

2. Depends on timing, a few months ago, I ran 7 year old car, worth about £6500, then, upgraded to new Yaris £25k, but, of course, it will not be worth that now

3. Some cars in the photo you referred to may be “company cars”

4. Some (many even?) in the photo may not be owned, but on PCP type terms at £x / month

Alex321

Guru
Not sure that the results will be meaningful:

1. I live in a “cheap” property region, so, 4 bed detached house, but, only worth about £325k, my son owns a similar house west of London, £800k

2. Depends on timing, a few months ago, I ran 7 year old car, worth about £6500, then, upgraded to new Yaris £25k, but, of course, it will not be worth that now

3. Some cars in the photo you referred to may be “company cars”

4. Some (many even?) in the photo may not be owned, but on PCP type terms at £x / month

Whether they are company cars or PCP doesn't make any difference to the value. But you are certainly right that the area you live makes a big difference to the value of your house.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
This. The vast majority of "new" cars are leased or PCP. They're not owned outright and give the impression their 'owner' has more money than they really do.

As someone cleverer than me said:

“Buying things they don’t need, with money they haven’t got, to impress people they don’t like”

Probably a litle under 5%
but only because we have only just changed car - a few months ago it would have been far less

next door would be interesting - slightly smaller house but BIG new kitchen extension

and his car is a Porche Taycan and hers if a BMW SUV - both electric

Alex H

Legendary Member
Mine is about 2 1/2% - fairly new house, 9 year old car. There is a guy a few doors down (similar house -same builder) with a '23 reg Bentley though :ohmy:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
My group is missing from the quiz: own a house but only hire cars.

This is really a comment on how poor the provision of public transport is in most places. If you only need a car for a month or two every year, this is the best solution.

Top Bottom