What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD

Gunk

Guru
^^^Velcro tie-wraps are brilliant for such purpose.

Great idea, just bloody binned one of them

Gunk

Guru
But, just found an old inner tube which works perfectly

IMG_4533.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
What, no hammers?

They’re in my other tool chest

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The old boardman was having issues dropping from the biggest cog to the next smaller even after much fiddling and a new cable so after a lightbulb moment i changed wheels and lo and behold it changes fine so i put the cassette from the spare wheel on and everything is fine .
The cassette looked ok but something must have worn enough so it was stopping smooth shifting .
That bike will be put on commuting duties till i can figure out what the issue with the commuter is ( or the lbs ) as the ticking / clanking sound every pedal rev /bump is back and i damned if i know why as i have exhausted everything i can think of .Half a mind to flog it and get another second hand bike .

Gunk

Guru
The old boardman was having issues dropping from the biggest cog to the next smaller even after much fiddling and a new cable so after a lightbulb moment i changed wheels and lo and behold it changes fine so i put the cassette from the spare wheel on and everything is fine .
The cassette looked ok but something must have worn enough so it was stopping smooth shifting .
That bike will be put on commuting duties till i can figure out what the issue with the commuter is ( or the lbs ) as the ticking / clanking sound every pedal rev /bump is back and i damned if i know why as i have exhausted everything i can think of .Half a mind to flog it and get another second hand bike .

Have you checked the alignment of the rear mech

Gillstay

Veteran
I think Gunk may be on to something. One of my bikes has an odd sound and everything is perfect so put it in the stand, middle chainwheel and then slowly ran it through each cog whilst watching the rear derailleur until I spotted the problem.
The derailleur just pops back a little bit in certain gears almost as if its got a sticky or tight link in the chain. But the chain is fine, so still not sure what the problem is but atleast know where it is.
Good luck.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Minor bits;

I've been riding the Raleigh SBDU I put together last week for the past few days and it's seen some seatpost / saddle / gear adjustments and now rides beautifully. Just in time to be put away for winter :rolleyes:

New Pirelli Cinturato Velo tyres onto the Superstar Components winter wheels I have on my Viner Mitus 'winter' bike.

Polished a front GB Coureur brake caliper which looks to have been faded since the 1950's.

And a move round in the bike storage with all but the Merida cyclo-cross, Viner Mitus and Holdsworth track bike stored away for the winter.

Top Bottom