What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
One of my cheap (?) Aluminium bottle cages on the daily beater had an annoying creak. One go at sorting didnโ€™t work. So (non creaking ๐Ÿ˜‰) plastic pair fittedโ€ฆ.

Along with a new Madison Flux saddle.

IMG_5888.jpeg

โ€ฆ..which I also fitted the same of; to the MTB:

IMG_5883.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
Worked today, PDIโ€™d 6 kids bike a pink girls mountain bike and replaced a pair of cable disc brakes, Iโ€™m absolutely knackered, now enjoying a well deserved beer.

IMG_4489.jpeg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally got round to completing the upgrade of my former main commuter bike to 11 speed with a new shifter, rear derailleur, lightly worn chain and matched cassette previously removed from another bike..
1727894355197.jpeg

1727894363752.jpeg

Also had to do an unplanned complete re-tape of the bars as the old stuff kept tearing when I tried to remove it to get at the cables underneath. Luckily I had a pack in stock which will need to be replaced.

Excluding the folder, I now have all 7 bikes running 11 speed SRAM so the spares stock needing to be held is reduced to one road cassette, one mountain bike cassette, two chains and a couple of bottom brackets.

Gillstay

Veteran
Riding the Ridgeback with the bolt loose for a week has meant that when I put the puller on again it came loose with out too much effort.
To my amazement it was all greased so they must have done it up with an air gun or similar. No corrosion to be seen.

Tried the BBK while it was off. Super tight so put a torque wrench on it to check and 130 KN did not budge it so lots of penetrating oil, then grease inside and will deal with that when I need to. :rolleyes:

IMG_20240930_130102296.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
One of my cheap (?) Aluminium bottle cages on the daily beater had an annoying creak. One go at sorting didnโ€™t work. So (non creaking ๐Ÿ˜‰) plastic pair fittedโ€ฆ.

Along with a new Madison Flux saddle.

View attachment 747644

โ€ฆ..which I also fitted the same of; to the MTB:

View attachment 747645

have to tell me how the flux comapares to a charge spoon if you have ever had one ?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
have to tell me how the flux comapares to a charge spoon if you have ever had one ?

Will do. I should be riding the beater with new Flux on tomorrow ๐Ÿ‘ Iโ€™ve had a few Spoons ๐Ÿ™„and currently have one on my Hybrid.

Couldnโ€™t find any Black Spoons with White logo for less than ยฃ35 each. Whereas the Madisonโ€™s were two for ยฃ48: delivered.

Hence why Iโ€™ve got a mixed bag now as suchโ€ฆโ€ฆ

Finally got around to replacing the rear derailleur cable housing yesterday on the new Felt Broam.

Wound up replacing the gear cable too. I hadn't pulled enough cable out of the outer's liner before snipping it just behind the bottom bracket. In any case, I think the original cable would have still been too short anyway, given how tightly it was radiused.

With the larger radius into the derailleur, the shifting is easier, smoother, faster and the barrel adjuster is easy to manipulate.
Shame really, given the quality factory Jagwire cables with discrete liners. I couldn't actually find replacement Jagwire cable outers in-stock so it's running with Shimano SIS41, which I think is good enough for who it's for.

Decided to get some new fangled quick release pedals (Litepro)
1.jpg

2.jpg

They seem to be good quality, and light weight, so the old Triumph travel bike has lost a bit of its tonnage :laugh:
Will give a test ride tomorrow morning, weather permitting (rainy season).

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD

โ€ฆ..only 17 miles today. But if thereโ€™s a difference - I canโ€™t tell. Iโ€™m not sure I had the Flux saddles angle spot-on (Iโ€™m about to re-adjust and re-test) but comfort wise it will be spot on. I had no issues at the wrong angle - so only expecting things to get betterโ€ฆ..

Iโ€™ll report back again once Iโ€™ve done a 40-50 mile ride ๐Ÿ‘

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
*****As above:

Been out for a ride today: including the first ride with a new saddle. It felt like it was tilted too far forward (Iโ€™m trying to get all my saddles into a more neutral / horizontal position after years of being โ€˜tilted too far backโ€™) ๐Ÿ™„

Iโ€™ve just re-adjusted: tilting slightly further back - and with the bike up against the slats on the shed this is what feels the comfiest position for me (statically) around the โ€œtextbookโ€ horizontal ๐Ÿ˜‰

IMG_5952.jpeg

With this saddles shape / clear depression in the actual seating area which then rises to the nose:

***๐ˆ๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ข๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐›๐จ๐ฎ๐ง๐๐š๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐›๐ž๐ข๐ง๐  ๐š๐œ๐œ๐ž๐ฉ๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐š๐ฌ ๐ก๐จ๐ซ๐ข๐ณ๐จ๐ง๐ญ๐š๐ฅ ? ? ?***

Last edited:
Fitted a new front tyre on our Dutch Bakfiets, as the last one exploded last time I was riding it. The explosion was so comprehensive that the inner tube parted company from the valve and the wall of the tyre split from the wires.

I can't complain too much as the tyre is original and was mounted on the bike when I rode it from Amsterdam ca. 2011, so it's done pretty well.

As an added bonus I had a small assistant in the form of Beautiful Daughter.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
*****As above:

Been out for a ride today: including the first ride with a new saddle. It felt like it was tilted too far forward (Iโ€™m trying to get all my saddles into a more neutral / horizontal position after years of being โ€˜tilted too far backโ€™) ๐Ÿ™„

Iโ€™ve just re-adjusted: tilting slightly further back - and with the bike up against the slats on the shed this is what feels the comfiest position for me (statically) around the โ€œtextbookโ€ horizontal ๐Ÿ˜‰

View attachment 747829

With this saddles shape / clear depression in the actual seating area which then rises to the nose:

***๐ˆ๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ข๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐›๐จ๐ฎ๐ง๐๐š๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐›๐ž๐ข๐ง๐  ๐š๐œ๐œ๐ž๐ฉ๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐š๐ฌ ๐ก๐จ๐ซ๐ข๐ณ๐จ๐ง๐ญ๐š๐ฅ ? ? ?***

thats pretty much how i set my spoon , spirit level sitting on the nose where the writing is and the back on the rear edge

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
thats pretty much how i set my spoon , spirit level sitting on the nose where the writing is and the back on the rear edge

Gotcha. So youโ€™ve measured across the front / rear high points: ignoring the depression ๐Ÿ‘

My shed is pretty new and sits dead level. Gaps fore and aft visually from sheds slats to seat-line you talk of - look very similiar. No spirit level needed to tell me thatโ€™s very close to horizontal then. Thanks for confirming ๐Ÿ™

Top Bottom