What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The Batman...

it's much like all the other Batman films; could be really good but doesn't hit the mark, and at the best part of three hours long, it's time that you won't get back.

To be honest I was very disappointed and despite it starting quite well almost bailed out before an hour was up. Only stayed as the Mrs liked it somewhat more than I did. Visually very good, and apart from Batman himself acting was OK. Granted Batman is supposed to be a bit wooden I suppose, but by comparison with Karl Urban playing the even more unemotional Dredd, it was very wooden indeed, and the Bruce Wayne portrayal was just annoying.

To be fair Catwoman was OK and did her best to pretend there was some chemistry between them but to no avail. Riddler as a unabomber type psycho was very well done and rather disturbing. The dialogue was often woeful which didn't help anyone though.

Good points: some of the set piece action scenes were first rate, and visually it was excellent but let down by poor, or rather insufficient, editing eg there was a particularly good moment after a car chase, but marred by including several versions of the same take as they were just a little too pleased with themselves.

All in all they need to trim an hour and tighten it up a bit and it could have been pretty good

I struggle to give more than 4/10 as despite it having some merit I was bored frankly. And just to be clear some of my favourite films are long, and some might say slow - but this dragged which is something else I think

Last edited:
To be honest I was very disappointed and despite it starting quite well almost bailed out before an hour was up. Only stayed as the Mrs liked it somewhat more than I did. Visually very good, and apart from Batman himself acting was OK. Granted Batman is supposed to be a bit wooden I suppose, but by comparison with Karl Urban playing the even more unemotional Dredd, it was very wooden indeed, and the Bruce Wayne portrayal was just annoying.

To be fair Catwoman was OK and did her best to pretend there was some chemistry between them but to no avail. Riddler as a unabomber type psycho was very well done and rather disturbing. The dialogue was often woeful which didn't help anyone though.

Good points: some of the set piece action scenes were first rate, and visually it was excellent but let down by poor, or rather insufficient, editing eg there was a particularly good moment after a car chase, but marred by including several versions of the same take as they were just a little too pleased with themselves.

All in all they need to trim an hour and tighten it up a bit and it could have been pretty good

I struggle to give more than 4/10 as despite it having some merit I was bored frankly. And just to be clear some of my favourite films are long, and some might say slow - but this dragged which is something else I think

I was underwhelmed by Batman too. Fun spotting the Liverpool bits in the background - but let's face it - it's bobbins. Bloke dresses up - as a Bat - to fight crime ??

Much better on Amazon tonight. The Final Countdown. Really wanted to see this back in the 80s but the video was always out.
Aircraft carrier out of Hawaii finds itself back in 1941 thanks to a storm.

Great film. No CGI. Back to the days of Top Gun (give or take).

Did feel a bit cheated by the ending though. I wanted more action.

Anna

Hot young wastrell is coached by woman of a certain age to be a hot young assassin and covert operator.
Luc Bresson dusts off his plot archive but with a twist. Whereas Nikita was a brunette, Anna is a blonde.
After 1 year of combat training our hot young, blonde assassin can now take on a roomful of professional henchmen who have probably been combat training since they were 12 year old boys.
And she can turn up the next day looking fresh for her day job as a French supermodel.
Nice to look at. Well choreographed dance combat scenes. A few twists and turns. And Helen Mirren.

The Last Castle (2001)

I made myself a challenge to find and watch James Gandolfini's films and this unfortuantely was not one of the good ones. It's got a good cast with him, Robert Redford, Delroy Lindo and Mark Ruffallo but the story just isn't strong enough, it's filmed very nicely and the acting is mostly good in it but it's just a bit poor everywhere else overall.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore. Good special effects, decent acting, but a bit long. 6/10. Fine for a Monday night O2 Freebie!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Luc Bresson dusts off his plot archive but with a twist. Whereas Nikita was a brunette, Anna is a blonde.

:bravo: ^_^

The Ring - first U.S. remake. Good film but prefer second one directed by Hideo Nakata.
Kind of wish they had made more use of sinister Brian Cox though and less of the numpty ex-partner. Could have been a classic. 7/10.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Operation Mincemeat at the Cinema...
3 1/2 out of 5, bit more romance than the original (which I think I can remember) / the documentary.
Nice to be out, surprised we weren't the only ones there, must have been about 20+ others, not bad for a Tuesday night.
Nicely shot and good acting, nice pint of Wold Top. Marmalade' Porter to enjoy the film to. :rolleyes:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Raging Moon - terrific title, terrible fillum, with all the leaden scripting, wooden acting and pedestrian direction you know so well from those 'classic' '70s British productions.

The title - far & away the best thing about this Malcom McDowell Clockwork-era offering - was inexplicably changed for the American market to 'Long Ago, Tomorrow', (Unh?) but TBH it's hard to imagine much of a market over there for what is, more than anything, a portrait of the England of my childhood. The overwhelming effect being a sort of punch-drunk lethargic wonder at just how drab England was in those days. It's not just the omnipresence of beige - and it really was everywhere - insofar as there are any other colours, they all seem dull and sort of.....grubby somehow. Everything just looks so ....drear.

And I was there, kids. It's all true.

Anyway, ignore the 6.9 on imdb; 5.3 tops. And that only on account of I just had me lunch, so I'm feeling benign.

Oh, one thing I did get from it - the Dylan Thomas poem, from which the yank-spurned title was gleaned: as miraculously good as the film is stupefyingly bad.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Last Castle (2001)

I made myself a challenge to find and watch James Gandolfini's films and this unfortuantely was not one of the good ones. It's got a good cast with him, Robert Redford, Delroy Lindo and Mark Ruffallo but the story just isn't strong enough, it's filmed very nicely and the acting is mostly good in it but it's just a bit poor everywhere else overall.

True Romance. That's where it's at.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Chosen (1977)...

A cheap rip-off of The Omen in which the entire budget was blown on hiring Kurt Russel to play the lead role. Apparently it's a cult classic (AKA, a sh!t film). Highpoints were an underwhelming helicopter decapitation and an unconvincing security shutter dissection. Low points were an underwhelming helicopter decapitation and an unconvincing security shutter dissection. 3/10

AndyRM

XOXO
The Chosen (1977)...

A cheap rip-off of The Omen in which the entire budget was blown on hiring Kurt Russel to play the lead role. Apparently it's a cult classic (AKA, a sh!t film). Highpoints were an underwhelming helicopter decapitation and an unconvincing security shutter dissection. Low points were an underwhelming helicopter decapitation and an unconvincing security shutter dissection. 3/10

I didn't know it had different names, I've always known it as Holocaust 2000.

So I was very confused by your review because it's Kirk Douglas in the lead role...

De Martino basically just ripped off big Hollywood films. I've seen a few of them, including Holocaust 2000 and would agree that it is pretty poor.

Top Bottom