Useful bike carrying (smaller) ‘cars’ suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I live on a modern housing estate. Space is at a premium. Already got 4 cars on the drive. But nothing to carry a couple of bikes in.

I’d love a Passat / Focus / Mondeo estate for the space. But the shear length literally wouldn’t fit in. I pondered over a VW Caddy type van some while ago. But unless you get a crew-cab they are a bit one dimensional with two seats. And a crew cab anything goes back to being pretty lengthy….

So a car, SUV, car derived van. I’m really not set on anything and am open to suggestions from those who do lug bikes around. I don’t need huge space for rear passengers when not carrying bikes. Just the option to: if required would be nice (Unlike a traditional van). Two front seats and some load space - seats folded ?- being the primary criteria !

Budget of £12-£15k. Would ideally be looking for something 2018 or newer. And sub 40k. Ideally 1.6L type performance, preferably petrol.

All suggestions welcomed for a smallish vehicle with a biggish load space: even if that means rear passenger space is otherwise limited 🙏

vickster

Legendary Member
My 54cm road bikes fit happily in my
Fabia VRS estate with the seats down, don’t need to remove front wheel. Or more with the wheels off
Why on earth do you need 4 cars if you have a bike?!!

Gunk

Guru
Can’t you just pop them on the roof, we use our Mini to carry bikes, a Brompton also fits perfectly in the boot.

IMG_4460.jpeg

IMG_4040.jpeg

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Can’t you just pop them on the roof, we use our Mini to carry bikes, a Brompton also fits perfectly in the boot.

View attachment 748021

View attachment 748022

No unfortunately not. I’ve only one car of my own and that’s a 2-seat convertible. Hence the need for something more useful…..

The other option as you say though - is buy ‘anything’ smallish. Then carry bikes on the roof / on a rack. I’m not averse to that. But would rather try to find something I can transport them inboard with. Because the bikes could equally be a washing machine, chair, flat pack furniture etc…..

I can get my (admittedly small) 26inch wheel hybrid onto the back seat of my Skoda Rapid Fastback* simply by whipping the front wheel off. No need to flatten the seats. If I flatten the seats, I could definitely get a couple of bikes in the back for sure. Skodas are pretty tardis-like inside.

*sits in the range between Fabia and Octavia, and is like a cross between a hatchback and estate. I have the 110 tsi Sport version, so comfy, capable and a good motorway muncher.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I can get my (admittedly small) 26inch wheel hybrid onto the back seat of my Skoda Rapid Fastback* simply by whipping the front wheel off. No need to flatten the seats. If I flatten the seats, I could definitely get a couple of bikes in the back for sure. Skodas are pretty tardis-like inside.

*sits in the range between Fabia and Octavia, and is like a cross between a hatchback and estate. I have the 110 tsi Sport version, so comfy, capable and a good motorway muncher.

Cheers 🙏

This shape / model ?

https://quotes.carwow.co.uk/deals/g...e=1&gbraid=0AAAAADkNbBWYFbSKz9Vkb4Bpy-ODlM0gd

Yep, that's it. That one's three years newer than mine and a different spec level with the one litre engine which, if memory serves, is a three pot. So while it'll be fine for urban pootling, you might find it a bit gutless on the motorways. Mine's the 1.2 Tsi Sport.

Otherwise, a Fabia estate will also work - it's got the same footprint as the Rapid and has a really good load area. It's nip and tuck between the two tbh, as I was considering both when I bought my Rapid last year. For me, it was the better seats / driving position that swung it over the Fabia. And the fact that the Rapid was somewhat cheaper - the Rapids were aimed at the fleet market but never caught on so much, which makes them exceedingly good value for money. Having had mine for a year, I can say that it's a very nice and capable car.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
One of the last MK9 Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC's is a good call. They're huge for what they are, have magic seats, probably one of the most reliable you will find of that type also. Hold their value really well and 2017 is the last model. With a light right foot can get about 42 mpg out of mine, mixture of town and A roads. Plenty of power for what they are (140 bhp) and a really nice place to be in. Thought about the diesel variant, but more to wrong, not as good for a DIY mechanic, but they're supposed to be very good. The next generation has a turbo, 1.0 litre wet timing belt that is over a grand to replace, 1.5 has a chain. Didn't fancy either of them. The Mazda 3 is a very good car, just quite a bit smaller inside, it's also a GDI engine whereas the Civic 1.8 is port injection. Still the 2.0 Skyactiv G engine has been around for over 10 years, no turbo etc. Haven't much clue about European cars, sure there's some decent ones.

If you like the reliabilty of your MX5, you won't go far wrong with the 2 mentioned, unless you buy a sh1tter.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
One of the last MK9 Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC's is a good call. They're huge for what they are, have magic seats, probably one of the most reliable you will find of that type also. Hold their value really well and 2017 is the last model. With a light right foot can get about 42 mpg out of mine, mixture of town and A roads. Plenty of power for what they are (140 bhp) and a really nice place to be in. Thought about the diesel variant, but more to wrong, not as good for a DIY mechanic, but they're supposed to be very good. The next generation has a turbo, 1.0 litre wet timing belt that is over a grand to replace, 1.5 has a chain. Didn't fancy either of them. The Mazda 3 is a very good car, just quite a bit smaller inside, it's also a GDI engine whereas the Civic 1.8 is port injection. Still the 2.0 Skyactiv G engine has been around for over 10 years, no turbo etc. Haven't much clue about European cars, sure there's some decent ones.

If you like the reliabilty of your MX5, you won't go far wrong with the 2 mentioned, unless you buy a sh1tter.

Thanks for your thoughts. One of these ?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27665957...C0nOHPhReS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I had a 2010 Honda Civic and my Raleigh Motus fitted in just fine with the back seats down
the Motus is an ebike but otherwise a normal sized bike
did take a bit of fiddling to work out how to get it to fit but with the wheels at the right angle then it fitted in just fine

It was heavy as it is an ebike - but once I realised where to hold it I could lift it in on one move - plus a bit of wiggling

Top Bottom