Tyre Pressure / Inner tube quality ‘questions’…..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Could it be the edge of the tyre liner which is causing the puncture, or possibly where the tyre liner overlaps? If you are using Schwalbe Marathon tyres do you really need a tyre liner?

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Could it be the edge of the tyre liner which is causing the puncture, or possibly where the tyre liner overlaps? If you are using Schwalbe Marathon tyres do you really need a tyre liner?

Tyre liner is on the outside. All ‘punctures’ / splits have been on the inside. Tyres are Schwalbe Big Ben…..right size / tread for these MTB type wheels and use. So protection level 3 only out of 7 I think.

I’ve stripped again, cleaned rim thoroughly, fitted new tapes. And used for 35 miles at weekend….and since that with no bother. Hopefully I’ve gotten rid of the Fairy !!!

Thanks for your thoughts 😎

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I'm sure I'm not the only one but just maybe I am.... what do you mean by the tyre liner is on the outside?

The 40mm wide tyre liner fits between the inside of tyre and the outside of the inner tube. To protect glass, thorns etc coming in from outside.

My [Certainly recent] punctures have all occurred on the inside of the radius of the tube. Ie; where the inner tube touches the outside of the wheel rim. Which when inflated; is well away from the tyre liner on the opposite side of the inner tube…..

azbikes

I’m running a Hybrid with 27.5 x 1.95” tyres. Used 95% on road. And have suffered a few punctures recently.

I now have Schwalbe tyres on - with puncture protection built in…….AND a 1mm Kevlar type tyre liner too.

This morning i adjusted rear tyre pressure (Upwardly) after not riding for a week. Went to go for a ride a few hours later and it’s completely flat. WFT ?? 😳

I don’t fix flats currently. I just change tubes. Possibly because of that I’ve been buying cheap. I looked at this last (Nearly new !) tube and it had blown at the seam. I dug the last one before that out…..knowing that deflated quickly too……and again; turns out it was a seam failure.

So:

1/. It appears cheap tubes are most definitely not a ‘thing’ that’s needed or indeed help in any way 🤦‍♂️
I will be doing research. Making sure I’m buying better quality and seeing if any of the MTB tubes are rated for higher (Road type) pressures.

2/. I’m 15 stone, bike must be 13-14kg, 1.95” road tyres being used, it’s use is on tarmac: What pressures should I be running ? [.**I think I may have been excessively high]. Which my low quality tubes definitely haven’t enjoyed either…..🙄

Cheers 🙏
Try baby powder in the tire before installing a new tube. Spread it around so it coats the inside and shake out the excess.
This will help with two things... The tube will not stick to the inside of the tire surface as sometimes during the summer it tends to do that and as you go over curbs etc it can cause your tube to get pulled on and possibly enough pressure to pull apart the seam. The main benefit I like is it's easier to install and remove the tube. (Make that 3 things😁) It also helps dislocate the goat heads or thorns as they get pounded into the tire. Here in Arizona we have goat heads everywhere and our main cause of flats. Good luck

The 40mm wide tyre liner fits between the inside of tyre and the outside of the inner tube. To protect glass, thorns etc coming in from outside.

My [Certainly recent] punctures have all occurred on the inside of the radius of the tube. Ie; where the inner tube touches the outside of the wheel rim. Which when inflated; is well away from the tyre liner on the opposite side of the inner tube…..

Thanks, I understand. Although not relevant to this case then, it is worthwhile to note that tyre liners (like yours) are notorious for causing punctures. These usually present as a series of small holes inside a groove along the side of the edge of the liner. Liners in general are a bad idea. They cause huge rolling resistance to the point where it can be clearly felt and, punctures.

The punctures arise because the liners (made from PVC), are very inelastic whereas the tube is very elastic. Elasticity is invoked when riding and if you have a long line of inelasticity over an elastic surface, you create very concentrated local stretching under friction. The PVC eats a groove into the tube.

PVC liners have their use though - on kiddies bikes where the children ride their bikes in thorny patches in ardid regions where goathead thorns (tribulus terrestris) occur.

Top Bottom