Tubeless dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’m in the middl of a four day cycling break and had in mind two more long rides. But, the tubeless rear tyre punctured yesterday and has required regular inflation today to keep it at an acceptable pressure. When I came back to the rental apartment after todays ride I pumped it up hard. It leaked a pool of sealant but has formed a large scab on the outside and so far has held its pressure. So, do I (a) trust it and head off to the hills tomorrow knowing that it could well lose the scab and deflate somewhere awkward (b) take the tyre off and put in a tube. The latter is complicated by being in a rental and not wanting to make a mess but would easier than at the roadside. What do folks think?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd put a tube in. But I'd do it outside just to be on the safe/clean side.

If you've ever tried to pour the sealant out of a tyre you'll know how it doesn't want to come out. I've only once had to put a tube in at the roadside and it was a completely un-messy operation. All the sealant stayed inside the tyre cos that was where it wanted to be. When I got home and took the tube out - that was when it got messy.

But as a caveat - I have a permanent fear that there will be some little pointy things that have penetrated the tyre, but sealed up, just sitting there, sticking into the inside of the tyre waiting to penetrate any tube that I put in. So there is that as an argument against.

So maybe I wouldn't. Maybe I'd see if it holds and if it doesn't - then put a tube in.

I don't know. Ignore me.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Put a plug or worm in.
My kit consists of a plug tool and small top-up sealant bottle.
If a hole doesn't want to seal, you can sometimes make it work by stopping for a minute or so with the hole at the bottom of the wheel.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My own experience of worms hasn't been great. I've only used one once - my tyres have been so effective that I've not had the opportunity to practice. It blew out after about 15 minutes (and that's when I put a tube in).

I was probably doing it wrong, but the problem is lack of opportunity to learn what to do when things go wrong, if they never - or rarely - go wrong. I'm super-experienced with ordinary tubes.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Tubeless tyres, electronic gear shifting and hydraulic disc brakes, not to mention 'strava' etc, when did something as simple and efficient as a bike become so complex (and expensive)

Our old office manageress (Very keen runner; but of average ability I’d say) was a Strava freak. Checking miles, pace, times, where in her training regime she was - whilst also using a heart rate monitor to do certain amounts of time in certain heart rate zones during a particular activity.

She came into work one Morning and said she hadn’t gone on a training run because her battery was flat and she couldn’t train exactly as that nights ‘program’ denoted.

So rather than do ‘something’ - she actively did nothing. All because one of the electronic gizmos was defunct.

Roger Bannister turned his grave…….

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Small bottle of sealant and two alternative plug tools: Dynaplug and Stan's Darts.
IMG_20240723_182041834_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
G

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’ve tried worms and darts in the past without much success, Im sure there is a knack to it I don’t have. I do have both with me and there should still be some sealant in the tube so that could be a third option I suppose.

I was really hoping these 38mm panaracer gravelkings at 60 psi would change my view on tubeless. I’ve already had to throw one Panaracer due to a sidewall split which wasn’t really the fault of being tubeless, rather the Panaracer construction. Previous failures have been on Schwalbe pro ones in 28 mm which are probably a bit flimsy for touring. Meanwhile the marathon supreme’s on my every day bike just keep going!

Ive been out and bought kitchen Roll and jay cloths while I think about it!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The simpler (more primitive) plugs, with the screwdriver-like tool and the separate sticky worms, are horrible to use.

OP
OP
G

geocycle

Legendary Member
The simpler (more primitive) plugs, with the screwdriver-like tool and the separate sticky worms, are horrible to use.
Yes that was my experience. I’m tempted to give the Stans dart a go first. Any tips other than stick it in the hole and keep everything crossed?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Yes that was my experience. I’m tempted to give the Stans dart a go first. Any tips other than stick it in the hole and keep everything crossed?

They are a bit fragile. I've broken a couple, which is why I got the Dynaplug (which I have yet to use). Main thing is to top up the sealant if there's been any substantial fluid loss.

Top Bottom