Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Because it’s on a timer. Just like the car ones. If it is a busy junction it may have to cycle through a few different phases.
On a basic crossing they usually change almost immediately if no one has used it recently.

Some of the “basic” crossings here in Stafford are computer controlled to “improve traffic flow” as part of the town-wide traffic light system

Jameshow

Veteran
Some of the “basic” crossings here in Stafford are computer controlled to “improve traffic flow” as part of the town-wide traffic light system

I just wish they would remove all traffic lights except those on major intersections.

Whatever happened to being able to pull out onto a major road without having to stop the traffic. Even the local hotel gets a traffic light! It's madness!!

When supermarkets do a shelf reshuffle.

Also what was mentioned earlier: putting credit/debit cards on phones, what happens when the card reader requires a pin and physical card to slot in?

Waiting to pay with my debit card at the coffee shop yesterday. The woman in front of me had to scan through her phone to find the bank app, open it, enter her password then put her phone up to the reader. My card tap took seconds only.

Alex321

Guru
Waiting to pay with my debit card at the coffee shop yesterday. The woman in front of me had to scan through her phone to find the bank app, open it, enter her password then put her phone up to the reader. My card tap took seconds only.

She didn't understand how to use it then.

All you have to do is unlock the phone (fingerprint, facial recognition, pin, whatever you chose), and hold it to the reader.

It take me less time than a card because my pone is just in my pocket (and I use fingerprint to unlock it), while the card is in a wallet in my pocket (actually in my man-bag), so I have to get the wallet out then get the card out of the wallet.

Mburton1993

Über Member

Yes that's too, it's alot slower than card. From what I've learned further up on here it's more secure but less convenient.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I wouldn't say it's slower than a card, you just have to unlock your phone and present it to the card reader. I've waited behind many people who take ages getting cards and cash out of their purses and bags. If you're organised and ready, they're as quick as each other

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The thing that annoys me about contactless payments is when the operator holds the card reader so I can't see the amount they're charging.

Feels like I'm making a scene when I ask to see the screen.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Because it’s on a timer. Just like the car ones. If it is a busy junction it may have to cycle through a few different phases.
On a basic crossing they usually change almost immediately if no one has used it recently.

Yup, basic junction (actually no junction, just a straight road that I want too cross). Have to wait ages. Plenty of shops in either side of the road so always pedestrians waiting.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's it! No more will I flash other vehicles to let them make their intended maneuver! Yesterday I flashed a driver as I approached a mini roundabout. He drove round it passing me as I set off, not even acknowledging my act, but looking at me as if to say "What's your problem"? The cretin was totally oblivious to my act of politeness. 🧐 I've been doing a little test lately to see how many acknowledge such acts. I let ten vehicles out over a week or so, if the driver looked the type to acknowledge my gesture. Out of that ten only three acknowledged my gesture.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yesterday I flashed a driver as I approached a mini roundabout
Please explain where you were, and where this driver was, when all this flashing took place? Roundabouts are designed so that everyone knows who has priority. There is no need for flashing or other signals (apart from indicators if necessary). Being polite, or flashing people, when it is your priority anyway is dangerous and you would fail your driving test if you were to do that. If it's your priority then go. If it's not then wait. Nothing esle is required.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Thought that flashing your vehicle's headlights was supposed to mean "I am here" and nothing else.

Exactly this. Just because you flash with a particular intent doesn't mean that it is received as such. Just let the rules of the road sort it all out. As @Electric_Andy said, roundabouts have rules of engagement that don't need any flashing of lights or grandiose gestures of politeness. Wait your turn and go when it comes up.

If I am letting someone out I will usually just slow down and hang back to leave an obvious gap to go into - if they take it, great, if not I just continue on my way. No ambiguous flashing, no misunderstanding possible.

Top Bottom