Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Highland

Regular
remember they rotate the wrong way when you are trying to get the old pair off and the new pair back on. so as you cycle the rotation keeps them tight... otherwise you may be sitting in a corner cursing yourself for some hours!^_^

Or remember the left hand crank arm (the one without the Chain rings) has a left hand thread when undoing it, so you undo it to the right,

Hope that makes sense :smile:

Or remember the left hand crank arm (the one without the Chain rings) has a left hand thread when undoing it, so you undo it to the right,

Hope that makes sense :smile:
yep - but given I can never remember left from right, but can tell drivers side from passenger side and drive side from non drive side etc, working out which way is undone is easy with pedals - the opposite way to their rotation when pedalling (says the person who managed to undo a pedal whilst cycling through Serbia only to watch my OH jump off his bike and stop a lorry from running it over! :ohmy: one of the few spare parts we did not carry!)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
yep - but given I can never remember left from right, but can tell drivers side from passenger side and drive side from non drive side etc, working out which way is undone is easy with pedals
My ex always had problems remembering left vs right, and east vs west, for some reason. Anyway - assuming that you are right-handed ...

You write with the right hand, and the pedal thread on the right side pedal is 'right', and the thread on the left side pedal is 'wrong'! :thumbsup:

My ex always had problems remembering left vs right, and east vs west, for some reason. Anyway - assuming that you are right-handed ...

You write with the right hand, and the pedal thread on the right side pedal is 'right', and the thread on the left side pedal is 'wrong'! :thumbsup:
used to be left handed, but due to a long term left wrist injury spent my final year at uni learning to write with my right hand. nowadays I am just confused.

Phred1812

Just to share my thoughts, why substitute one pair of flat pedals for another?

The best modification I made to my Giant CRS Hybrid (assembled with love and precision in Taiwan by the way) was to fit Shimano A530 SPD Touring pedals and to buy a pair of cycling shoes with cleats. With these pedals you have the choice of wearing "civvies" and normal shoes/trainers if you just want to pop down to the pub or commute to work. If you want to go "full lycra" and go on a proper ride, you just turn the pedals over and you have the benefit of cleats. For me, these really connect you to the bike and make a massive difference.

When I purchased my Rosso, the first thing I did was to fit these (the black ones of course) before I even sat on it.

This option wouldn't suit everyone of course as we all have different needs and aspirations but if you really want to exploit a road bike's potential I think you need cleats.

Phred1812

Just to share my thoughts, why substitute one pair of flat pedals for another?

The best modification I made to my Giant CRS Hybrid (assembled with love and precision in Taiwan by the way) was to fit Shimano A530 SPD Touring pedals and to buy a pair of cycling shoes with cleats. With these pedals you have the choice of wearing "civvies" and normal shoes/trainers if you just want to pop down to the pub or commute to work. If you want to go "full lycra" and go on a proper ride, you just turn the pedals over and you have the benefit of cleats. For me, these really connect you to the bike and make a massive difference.

When I purchased my Rosso, the first thing I did was to fit these (the black ones of course) before I even sat on it.

This option wouldn't suit everyone of course as we all have different needs and aspirations but if you really want to exploit a road bike's potential I think you need cleats.

Phred1812

Phred, Campags would be better, Fuctums are just naff - too expensive to be a bargain and no better than the Shimano options, they're just bought by uninitiated anorexics.

... and I think it is Etna, as it's still active but I could be wrong.

Ben, you've got to be kidding budd' my mate is 5'11'' and he's shortened his stem on the 54 - he has gone for a Sir Brad posture mind you.

I agree about the Campags Rad but I don't think the Fuctums are that bad. They are after all hand built (or so they say) in that that country south of the Alps and each wheel comes with a "passport" signed by the guy that assembled it. Every spoke "pings" with the same frequency unlike the dull "thunk" with Decathlons. They are certainly lighter than the OE wheels - I don't have a means of measuring exactly but I guess around 200 gms per wheel. The weight is not the main issue though, you could lose that amount by missing out breakfast. Apart from the aesthetics which is a subjective issue, its the bearings that are so much of an improvement on the Decathlon wheels. When I removed the old wheels and turned the hubs by hand, it felt that the cages were full of rubble. The Fuctums roll like silk with no resistance at all.

Etna is the active one but Vesuvius is a sleeping giant and overdue for an eruption which could wipe out Naples. I don't know how many bikes if any are made in Naples. I suspect that most come from the industrial north. Dedacciai are based in Campagnola which is just north of Modena. A long way from Etna which is a relief. I haven't noticed any hairline cracks so far.

ColinJ

used to be left handed, but due to a long term left wrist injury spent my final year at uni learning to write with my right hand. nowadays I am just confused.
Yes, I can see the problem!

Blimey, what with vicious dog attacks, injuries and several pretty unpleasant medical conditions. you've really taken a bit of a battering over the years, haven't you! It's amazing that you still have the energy to get on and do so many things. I'm finding recovery from just one illness hard enough ...

Yes, I can see the problem!

Blimey, what with vicious dog attacks, injuries and several pretty unpleasant medical conditions. you've really taken a bit of a battering over the years, haven't you! It's amazing that you still have the energy to get on and do so many things. I'm finding recovery from just one illness hard enough ...

fight or give up appear to be the only sensible options... I tried the giving up stage when I was first learning to deal with the slight paralysis and chronic pain from my left arm injury (11 ops over 15 years), but a close school friend had already taken the give up option and commited suicide during our final year at uni, so now I fight. It feels so much better... :biggrin:

ColinJ

fight or give up appear to be the only sensible options... I tried the giving up stage when I was first learning to deal with the slight paralysis and chronic pain from my left arm injury (11 ops over 15 years), but a close school friend had already taken the give up option and commited suicide during our final year at uni, so now I fight. It feels so much better... :biggrin:
When I feel depressed at still being ill in February, after having fallen ill last July, I remind myself that the alternative was dying alone back then, face down on my bathroom floor. That tends to make me count my blessings! :whistle:

When I feel depressed at still being ill in February, after having fallen ill last July, I remind myself that the alternative was dying alone back then, face down on my bathroom floor. That tends to make me count my blessings! :whistle:

same here - it is hard, and it does not get any easier. injured last february and despite appearances still having issues - about to cycle to my weekly physio session. can't yet walk around a medium sized supermarket so can't go far from home on foot, but can cycle because of different muscles being used... the walking thing gets to me. we are going on holiday next month to one of my favourite areas of Scotland and I won't be able to get out into the mountains on foot! that is going to be really hard to cope with but I have to remind myself they will be there next time and the time after that. Just make sure I am still there to visit them!

Tom Hooper

the triban seems to be a very injury friendly bike. im recovering from broken back in august and i find just getting out makes everything worth while. no point in giving up i will only be annoyed that i cant go out then.

also what tires are people running? i want somthing cheap and will improve on the orginal tire, idealy in the conours i dont seem to have much confidence in them and bends?

Phred1812

The girlfriend is looking to buy her first road bike :wahhey: and I've suggested a Triban 3, given how much you lot rave about them :biggrin: (And its actually a better bike than mine lol)
She is 5ft3 and 29inch inside leg. I was thinking a 48cm would be best. What do you guys recommend?
No decathlon store near us to try unfortunately

P.s. used http://www.ebicycles.com/custom/content_files/ebicycles-bicycle-sizing-chart-road-bikes.pdf as a guide.[/quote

]I wouldn't go so far as to make a recomendation but any T3 smaller than 54" has smaller wheels than the normal 700c

Top Bottom