Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom Hooper

I'm 11stone 6 and intend to continue weight training as well as biking. I thought feeling right was key so that the bike is almost part of you, or is it better to be uncomfy so you bike faster to get it over with :P
Ben I had the 63 first but quickly swopped out for the smaller 60 after a shortish ride (Thankyou Decathlon) I have also fitted a 90 stem and think its about right now.

Louise Harley

Just wanted to share with you all a great cheap "ish " upgrade for your T3!

Shimano R501 Wheelset & SRAM PG850 Cassette / Chain.

Just fitted the following to my T3 as the original wheels have been wiped out by 3 months of dirty winter weather. The difference is amazing, what was a great bike (for the money) is now in a different league and in total I only spent £105.

Shimano R501 - 30 Wheelset - From Ribble Cycles £75.00
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-tr....air/shimwhfr204

SRAM PG850 Cassette (12-26) - From Wiggle £20.00
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pg850-8-speed-cassette/

SRAM PG850 Chain - From Wiggle £10.00
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pc850-8-speed-chain/

Starting with the wheels, they are lighter than the originals, look 100% better but most importantly have decent hubs/bearings/seals and roll very smoothly. It was instantly noticeable free wheeling down a hill that the bike was faster. Previously when out in a group I would have to pedal downhill to keep up with the others that were free wheeling, now I don't have to. Hopefully with the better seals they will stay this way!
Incidentally I stuck the original tyres and tubs back on the new wheels as I've had no problems with them.

Moving onto the cassette and chain, these probably didn't need changing but the drive train was a bit rough and others have said the PG850 cassette was a worth while upgrade. They were right! Drive train noise is reduced considerably, shifting both up and down the cassette is much crisper and faster. The difference is instantly noticeable and I didn't even need to trim the rear mech, just strapped the lot on and off I went.

Very happy with the upgrades so thought I'd share my thoughts, hope you find this helpful!

Thanks but I think I will wait till I am doing any distances to decide how it rides and if anything feels wrong then I will consider your kind advice

SNSSO, that's some distance - prey tell, what saddle would be comfortable for 100K? :smile:
I'll let you know when I find one. My old specialized was OK on tour until it finally gave up the ghost around athens, but its replacement (identical model newer design) is nowhere near as comfortable. I may pay a visit to the specialized shop in chester in the near future and see what I can come up with....

andyoxon

Legendary Member
Just a query about bottle cage/frame bolts. I don't think that the ones that come with the Triban 3 are made from aluminium, and I notice that online one can buy aluminium bolts. Are the frame threads relatively safe with the use of steel threaded bolts or not?

Radchenister

Veteran
Just a query about bottle cage/frame bolts. I don't think that the ones that come with the Triban 3 are made from aluminium, and I notice that online one can buy aluminium bolts. Are the frame threads relatively safe with the use of steel threaded bolts or not?
Should be fine with good quality parts and regular use, the odd clean and a bit of GT85 - theory might suggest that there is a risk of bimettalic activity but likely to take years if not decades, worse scenario is in a harsh environment affecting the join; however, if you've got an Italian one it's best to be very careful due to the 'Etna issue'.

Top Bottom