Tour de France 2024 SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Vingo on his rest day.....
"I will never break mentally. I'll do everything I can and we'll see about the result in the end. I still think it's possible to do something about Pogacar. I won't go down without fighting."
Can we get the sprint out of the way tommorow and get back to business please 😁

I think rest days should be cancelled , I have had to talk to mrs roadrash today, didnt know she no longer works at woolworths

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've seen you cycling colin I can vouch your clean!🀣🀣🀣
Ouch! :blush:

I was getting ready to pounce, but you skedaddled before I put the hammer down... :whistle:

As for this TdF... The podium does look decided, but there is still enough challenge left for the order to change if someone cracks. (Hopefully, accident or illness would not be involved in that.)

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Ah come on....what a load of bollox.
We're watching two of the best cyclists we've ever seen battle it out in the Tour,enjoy it for what it is.

No, it was just a question about the% benefit drugs give a top class rider, would it make a rider like Yates hugely better or just a tiny bit. I was not implying that anyone is taking drugs, least of all Pog or Vino, just a question - 'tis all

Milzy

Guru
No, it was just a question about the% benefit drugs give a top class rider, would it make a rider like Yates hugely better or just a tiny bit. I was not implying that anyone is taking drugs, least of all Pog or Vino, just a question - 'tis all

Well Lance always said a good amount of EPO gives 10% extra.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Pog is now on 14 stage wins in 5 tours.
Hinault had 28 in 8, so Pog is a bit behind that and Hinault didn't have the best luck with injuries ("small hole in my head" including).
Merckx had 34 in 7. Unlikely unless Jonas now fades, Remco doesn't advance as expected and no-one else emerges to challenge.
Cav has 35 in 14. Pog could beat that if he kept going at his current rate, but how likely is that? Not even Cav has kept going at his early rate.
Both Hinault and Merckx benefitted from a higher proportion of individual time trials in their time. Hinault won 20 of his 28 31 opportunities, Merckx 16 of 26 (my figures, checked a few times but can't 100% be guaranteed accurate). Merckx was on 16/21 before his final tour when he was past his best. That's not to say Pogacar could have achieved similar figures since his strike rate so far is 2 out of 7. On balance it doesn't look as though Pogacar is ever going to dominate the ITT to the same extent.

Generally speaking overall contenders don't regard road stage wins as their highest priority. Sometimes it's not in their interests to win stages when able to do so. Even the Cannibal himself gifted a stage to Roger Pingeon in the 1969 Tour, perhaps to gain popularity with the French? Poulidor might have been a more useful recipient of his generosity. Maybe he was torn to shreds in the Belgian press and vowed never to make the same mistake again.

Merckx had 18 road stages by the end of his fifth Tour. Pogacar can't equal that strike rate, but Merckx never won another.

If Pogacar wants to be the greatest ever he'll need to surpass some of Merckx's achievements. Even if he could do it I don't think total stage wins is a meaningful enough measure, but three GTs in a calendar year definitely would be.

Olav Kooij might win a lot of stages in the future.

When they asked Fred Trueman if he thought anyone would break his 300+ test wicket record he said "If they do, they'll be bloody tired".
Annoyingly I can't find the Youtube clip I know I've seen recently, but I'm pretty sure Fred didn't use the B word.

Edit: Hinault contested 31 ITTs, not 28. I transposed the wrong number. Adding the one he didn't contest in 1980, that means his tours averaged 4 ITTs, which explains how he racked up stage wins so quickly. And at least 3 of his road wins were in bunch sprints. Quite a beast.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Going to give it a miss and work today being a sprint stage...famous last words 😁
Talking of sprinters I almost forgot about Sam Bennet ! He's hardly been noticable has he ? Never really got back to his best.Just has a quick look and he's 100/1 for today.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Going to give it a miss and work today being a sprint stage...famous last words 😁
Talking of sprinters I almost forgot about Sam Bennet ! He's hardly been noticable has he ? Never really got back to his best.Just has a quick look and he's 100/1 for today.

Anyone but Jasper!

Tut tut, that's a terrible negative attitude.

Go Bini!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes last chance for Cav to add another stage today, which I think is a long shot, but we can hope....

Olav Kooij might win a lot of stages in the future.
He has potential but he'd have to leave Visma as they are too focussed on GC. Even then its not like he's proven he can beat the best at their peak in Grand tours. 1 Giro stage win to date where Milan had his beating most days.

Adam4868

Guru

I think the sport is the cleanest it's ever been,that's why I'm touchy with the doping talk.We don't want to spoil what's some of the best cycling battles we've ever seen do we.
Anyway advancements in equipment and fueling...nothing to do with doping.😁

"Jonas Vingegaard's favourite food is DΓΆner kebab. I incorporate that during the Tour de France" - Visma's food coach opens up on rider habits

Aravis

Putrid Donut
FOUR time trials per race? How on earth did I get into pro cycling in that era?!?
Sometimes two team time trials as well πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sometimes two team time trials as well πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ
10 riders in a team? 😲

Aravis

Putrid Donut
10 riders in a team? 😲
Until 1986. Sometimes 11 - 1973 for example. Mildly interesting fact: Luis Ocana was one of the famous 4 (Merckx, Ocana, Thevenet, Hinault) who won in quick succession carrying number 51. But with 11 man teams the "1" didn't imply a designated team leader; it appears to have been pure alphabetical chance.

Top Bottom