Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
twitter lit up over the cavendish shoulder charge incident. Polarised opinions obviously. Brian Smith reckons accidental, Steve Bauer reckons malicous intent. tbc......

VamP

Banned
I take your point but I thought it was a reasonable comment in the context of everything else they say.

You know, picking on one line from the whole piece to destroy their argument is a bit like calling foul based on the evidence of one climb from a whole three week tour. ;)

I did, in fairness, say that I didn't have a problem with SIS, but rather with some of the other VAM analysts. It was just that sitting on the fence line they threw in there that annoyed me. I'd hardly call it trying to destroy their argument though. Just trying to contextualize it.

I'm as much of a power data geek as anyone. But it always needs context to be helpful.

Now if we could see Froome's and Porte's data file from Saturday, I'd be all over that. And you'd need both to interpret correctly.

yello

My call, without reading anyone else's opinion, that's a dq. It looked deliberate and dangerous to me and not a 'racing incident'. I reckon Cavendish maybe saw red after being caught behind a slowing lead out man and took 'revenge'. Irresponsible and no place for it. Now I'm off to see what the guys that matter say!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I did, in fairness, say that I didn't have a problem with SIS, but rather with some of the other VAM analysts. It was just that sitting on the fence line they threw in there that annoyed me. I'd hardly call it trying to destroy their argument though. Just trying to contextualize it.

I'm as much of a power data geek as anyone. But it always needs context to be helpful.

Now if we could see Froome's and Porte's data file from Saturday, I'd be all over that. And you'd need both to interpret correctly.

I think we're pretty much of the same opinion, just differing slightly in how we say it...

triangles

Über Member
I think I agree with Boardman, it looked as if Cav shifted his weight in anticipation of the collision rather than as part of a deliberate nudge

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
"@MarkCavendish: Not seen a replay of the final yet, but was involved in an incident with Tom Veelers. Whatever has happened, if I'm at fault, I'm sorry."

That almost sounds like an admission.

Chutzpah

Über Member
My immediate take was that Veelers veered left then right. In the slow mo it looks bad on Cavendish but he knew there was going to be contact and braced himself. However, in real time there's that sudden realisation of contact and a bracing action. Why purposefully shoulder barge as some sort of retaliation at those speeds?

I haven't seen any argument online yet that has swayed me from that initial opinion.

My call, without reading anyone else's opinion, that's a dq. It looked deliberate and dangerous to me and not a 'racing incident'. I reckon Cavendish maybe saw red after being caught behind a slowing lead out man and took 'revenge'. Irresponsible and no place for it. Now I'm off to see what the guys that matter say!
That was my first response when I saw it live, in fact I missed the sprint because I was concentrating on the crash. Then he nicked the guys recorder when he was asked about the crash, so I reckon, deliberate. Frustration boiling over. Should be a DQ unless the judges see it more Boardman's way but if I was a judge, DQ.

VamP

Banned
Just stumbled on this link, it seems none of the Tour climbs times are actually timed. So sports scientists estimates of power output are in turn based on estimated times from someone with a stopwatch watching the TV coverage? Really??
http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=10280

Sure. And that's just one of many problems in applying this method.

Riding at 6.5 w/kg for an hour is kind of the boundary of human physiology historically. Does that mean we can't perform better? Usain Bolt anyone?

Now to ride as high a power output up a hill as you can, ideally you will be evenly paced over the hour. Uneven pacing will reduce performance. Road racing is ALL about uneven performance. This makes comparisons between performances difficult.

Then there's pacing. Then there's conditions. Then there's daily variability of fitness/freshness balance. Then there's stop/start of timing method.

yello

...and in other news, Europcar's Jerome Cousin (he of the Village People 'tache) has acquired the nickname 'Super Mario' from his team mates. Also, got most combative rider.

zizou

Veteran
Having just read Tyler Hamilton's book - which I recommend by the way; despite seemingly now benefitting further from his doping - he uses an analogy of a match box. The match box contains a set number of matches. As you use one, it burns out. You then light another one when required but you will run out of matches eventually. Now, using that analogy for the climb on Saturday? would it be fair that Sky burnt quite a few matches and paid the price on Sunday? I cannot remember if he was referring to BBs (Blood bags) or micro doses of Edgar (EPO) but it works for me in context with Sky recent performance.

The match box analogy is common in cycling (and probably other endurance sports) and it isn't to do with doping. Everyone has the box of matches, doping would give them more matches to play with and replenish them quicker too - that Kiryienka, Porte etc were struggling so badly the next day is more suggestive of them being clean than doping. It is just suggestive though.

Top Bottom