Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
Well, it is a shame so many are interested in anything but the cycling.
I started to read a media report and gave up after the first paragraph.

Too many are creating their own reality.
Gawd I thought all that was the preserve of football.

yello

I was waiting for that remark ;)

Off course people are going to be interested in the crashes/incidents, such stuff is a part of cycling. Certainly part of today's cycling! You might as well say 'why are people only interested in the sprint finish?'

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looking at the replays, Veelers drifted and at this point wasn't paying attention. The corner added in a complication that everyone would have had to go off line to get round.

zizou

Veteran
Looking at the replays, Veelers drifted and at this point wasn't paying attention. The corner added in a complication that everyone would have had to go off line to get round.

Was a messy 5k to go with the road furniture, traffic islands then the tight corner just before the sprint, surprised there was only the one crash!

thom

____
Just took a closer look at the finish and realised I was somewhat confused. It doesn't help that Griepel and Cav are in national jerseys and that since those jerseys are predominantly white they are similar to the Argos-Shimano shirts...

Kittel's win is more impressive since he comes from behind Cav and has to make a large swerve to avoid the last Lotto lead out guy.

Looking back, Greipel seemed to have the conventional A1 position, while Kittel and Cav were attempting to come from further back and surf various passing slipstreams. That style of sprinting just looks dangerous when various guys are giving it a go at the same time.

thom

____
In his defence, given the left turn and that both Greipel and Kittel chose to start their sprints by going left, it was maybe reasonable to think Cav would jump that way too.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
First impression was that Cav was a bit naughty but after the replay I changed my view. I reckon he was anticipating a lot more of a swerve to the right from the guy he barged and would have neutralised it by leaning into him but it didn't pan out that way and the guy came off worse. No malice in Cav's actions, imho.

I can't see any malice in it either. Like SittingDuck says above, it looked like an attempt to neutralise or counteract a potential nudge (again unintentional) from Veelers. Now, okay, it caused one in its turn but there was no intention there IMO.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you watch Veelers from the rear camera, he is off the boil not sprinting but then drifts, he's looking to the left as he goes in right towards Cav as Cav is going left following the others. Tough cookie Cav considering his size, doesn't knock him off line too much.

Top Bottom