Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't believe it took them so long to figure that one out! It was a one minute problem.

(The bus reversed after deflating the tyres)

To be fair, it wasn't just an issue of getting the coach out. The banner is on a mechanised gantry that raises and lowers to allow access for Tour vehicles. Parts of it are pretty beefy but the coach was in effect carrying the gantry on it's roof. Just getting the coach out could have led to complete destruction of the Tour's finish line on the first day. It doesn't look like the kind of kit that you can just pick up at the local plant hire. There's a picture here that gives a better view.

So who going to win tomorrow then looks a bit hilly for Cav?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
To be fair, it wasn't just an issue of getting the coach out. The banner is on a mechanised gantry that raises and lowers to allow access for Tour vehicles. Parts of it are pretty beefy but the coach was in effect carrying the gantry on it's roof. Just getting the coach out could have led to complete destruction of the Tour's finish line on the first day. It doesn't look like the kind of kit that you can just pick up at the local plant hire. There's a picture here that gives a better view.
The only damage I know of was that the photo finish camera had been broken so that the result had to be judged by eye.

And the tweet said: ''Le bus a reculé après le dégonflage des pneus.'' not, for example, ''Le bus a reculé après le soutien du portique et le dégonflage des pneus.'' But you may have more info then I do - all I know was that the solution was the same solution as I had posted earlier.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
it said in ITV he is out of the race with a broken collarbone Pedrosanchezo
"A decision on whether Martin will continue in the race will be taken on Sunday, his team said.
"He has a concussion and a contusion on his left lung. He also has soft tissue damages on his hip, chest, left knee and shoulder, and also on his back. Furthermore, he has a very deep wound 5cm wide on his left elbow that reaches his muscles, which causes a lot of pain and a problem moving his arm," said a spokesman."

Edit: crossposted with above...too slow:laugh:

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

"A decision on whether Martin will continue in the race will be taken on Sunday, his team said.
"He has a concussion and a contusion on his left lung. He also has soft tissue damages on his hip, chest, left knee and shoulder, and also on his back. Furthermore, he has a very deep wound 5cm wide on his left elbow that reaches his muscles, which causes a lot of pain and a problem moving his arm," said a spokesman."

Ach, he'll be fine...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Lumme, he's going to feel awful in the morning. With a list of injuries that long you could fill a whole row of A&E seats.:sad:

Milzy

Guru
Ach, he'll be fine...

I'd like to think I was tough but with that lot I'd prob say sod it, imagine another off like that carrying those injuries. Plus I think the pain would sap his performance.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
It's nothing, lol I rode the mile home with a fractured wrist, 2 dislocated fingers, concussion, dodgy knee and a nice load of road rash on my cheek.

Although it was on my hybrid, uphill and just after it happened.

He is seriously gonna smart in the morning though

I don't know a great deal about the specifics of that installation (a friend of a colleague ran the build of the Arrivee for a few years) but a single glance from the side would lead pretty much anyone working in the industry to the same succinct diagnosis. It is a one word technical term beginning with 'f'. The bus was driven into the gantry while it was lowered, they attempted to raise the gantry to release the bus but the external structure of the gantry was either torn off the horizontal beam or became caught on the bus. I've been responsible for a couple of automated structures that work above the public's heads and I've had things crash into them and I've had to get them up and running with the public present. It's a horribly pressured situation and many people have an immediate urge to remove any obstacle in order to get everything back to normal which often causes further problems. In the worst case - catastrophic collapse, death, mayhem. In this instance deflating the tyres might be the exact thing to do but it would be completely pointless if the gantry wasn't secured first to stop it descending with the bus as its tyres were let down. 15 minutes would be about the bare minimum for getting the show back on the road in a situation like this and that would require identifying all the issues, coming up with a solution to each of them and executing a plan and everything working out as expected first time. Thinking about it they did pretty well and I wouldn't be surprised if the scenario was covered in their incident plans. The finish at a dodgy corner three km out was a bit suspect though. I think that would have led to even more carnage.

Anyhow, I'm not discounting a fresh, angry Cav being able to get back on before the finish.

oldroadman

Veteran
I don't know a great deal about the specifics of that installation (a friend of a colleague ran the build of the Arrivee for a few years) but a single glance from the side would lead pretty much anyone working in the industry to the same succinct diagnosis. It is a one word technical term beginning with 'f'. The bus was driven into the gantry while it was lowered, they attempted to raise the gantry to release the bus but the external structure of the gantry was either torn off the horizontal beam or became caught on the bus. I've been responsible for a couple of automated structures that work above the public's heads and I've had things crash into them and I've had to get them up and running with the public present. It's a horribly pressured situation and many people have an immediate urge to remove any obstacle in order to get everything back to normal which often causes further problems. In the worst case - catastrophic collapse, death, mayhem. In this instance deflating the tyres might be the exact thing to do but it would be completely pointless if the gantry wasn't secured first to stop it descending with the bus as its tyres were let down. 15 minutes would be about the bare minimum for getting the show back on the road in a situation like this and that would require identifying all the issues, coming up with a solution to each of them and executing a plan and everything working out as expected first time. Thinking about it they did pretty well and I wouldn't be surprised if the scenario was covered in their incident plans. The finish at a dodgy corner three km out was a bit suspect though. I think that would have led to even more carnage.

Anyhow, I'm not discounting a fresh, angry Cav being able to get back on before the finish.

At last, someone who seems to actually KNOW something about how things work. Good post.
So far as all the "ruin" stuff goes, for about 10 minutes you get hacked off with a mistake, then forget it and move on. Everyone ends up same time on GC except for a few bonus seconds, overall no real harm done, and hopefully the injured will be able to continue. The real problem with getting injured is not riding, but sleeping. Sticking to the sheets and tearing at forming scabs whenever you move in bed is not the best fun, and ensures disturbed sleep.
The mantra: "tomorrow is another day, get over today and move on, there's another days racing to sort out". It's a hard sport for hard people :banghead:

Top Bottom