Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
lukesdad, with that level of ignorance, you might want want to consider commenting on the cyclingnews forum, you'd fit right in there...

Sky knew what they were doing. It was a calculation based on the penalty under the rules versus the time that might have been lost otherwise (let alone the risk of not finishing). Everyone does this. Calling for people to be excluded for an infringement that has a 20-second penalty is just silly, and calling someone who does this a cheat is worse.

And listen to oldroadman - he's actually raced professionally.

Anyway, bike racing...

My left field tips for tomorrow: Daniel Navarro and Blel Kadri. The inevitable early breakaway will be allowed to stay away.

Euskaltel in the break.

think saxo are stuffed, so they'll 'let' a break go, as will Sky. Movistar might try something to get Quincy up the GC and then it could get messy.

Evans to go for a long one? a final chance for glory.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Would the Sky/Froome penalty have been monetary only if they'd not been flouting the rules by taking bottles/food within the last 20km in earlier stages ? I think so.
Will Froome and each domestique (Porte especially) be given extra gels towards the end of stages with an "Emergency Only" sticker on them ? I expect so.

Thanks for the input and analysis of the stages; I've managed to watch most of them, sometime in "catch-up" mode and I've appreciated the extra info that you've supplied.

Any news on bike weight irregularities ?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
When you look at the times up the Alpe second-time around, the suspicious figures are not from Froome or the stage winner, Riblon (who was actually relatively slow at over 43 minutes), but Quintana and Rodriguez. They are also more remarkable than Froome because they seem to be getting better during the race not dropping off in performance (which Froome clearly is) or trying to ride into better form and failing (Contador). That's not to say that are definitely on something - Rodriguez, for example, has clearly been saving himself for the final week, if such a thing is possible. Mind you, no-one this time was anywhere near the best times of Pantani (under 37 minutes!)...

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Do I owe Lopez an apology after he finally, apparently, showed his face at the front end? Sorry Dave!
I was ultimately overwhelmed by my loco parentis duties...
20130718_141027_zps7f7af55d.jpg

I hope @Herzog fared better!

My wife unexpectedly arrived home and I was set free! You'll get your reward I'm sure for missing such a cracking stage...perhaps uninterrupted viewing of today's beast...?

raindog

er.....
On a different note, as much as Riblon's win is great for France,I feel for Tejay, in particular because of his dodgy gears on the Sarenne descent.
I guess that is just the way things break for you
I doubt Tejay lost the stage due to that mech - I think he simply ran out of steam in the last few ks. I think his chain jumped off going over a bump and jammed and he managed to fix it himself and carry on - doubt he lost that much time.

Funnily enough, Riblon was bloody lucky with his off-road stint - that could've been a lot worse. ^_^

DogTired

Über Member
Yeah I know and that would spoil you re viewing pleasure wouldn't it. Break a rule here break one there who cares they can afford it. Tell me where do you exactly draw the line on rule breaking ?

It seems excessive for a complete ban for feeding in the last 6k or his electric bike, but where he should be thrown out is his blatant disregard for wearing the proper attire. HE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CONSISTENTLY WEARS A YELLOW TOP AND GETS AWAY WITH IT. 10 days now and he's still not been banned.

When they discovered that Lance Armstrong did that as well they they took his wins away. <cough> eventually...

The Couch

Über Member
Moving on....

Apparently Mollema was quite ill yesterday (morning) and he was even "happy" to have stayed so close... there is talk about him not starting today if it's not better

The Couch

Über Member
Anyway, bike racing...

My left field tips for tomorrow: Daniel Navarro and Blel Kadri. The inevitable early breakaway will be allowed to stay away.
I like the Kadri gamble, but personally feel he might have attacked too much already to be able to finish it off... can't see Navarro doing much though

My right field guesses for today: Fedrigo (my French guess) and De Clercq (patriotic desperation)

thom

____

I like Frankie: "Contador is not the rider he was before his ban..."

People are talking about Froome weakening a little but I don't see the evidence quite yet - bonking yesterday was just a race management error rather than an indicator of form. The Madeleine won't be a piece of cake today though...

Top Bottom