Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I agree that this is a very strong team, I am just not sure that in the mountains they have the same strength (or are stronger) as last year...
And if Porte has to start pulling on the last climb from too far away from the finish line, he's not going to have the same shot at a good GC position

Well, Porte will fill the Froome role nicely and presumably Thomas will step up and fill the Porte role, which I think he's very capable of.

Then in the engine room you've got Siutsou, EBH, Kiryienka, Lopez, Stannard and Kennaugh compared to Siutsou, EBH, Rogers and Knees last year. I'd say Kiryienka is a more than adequate replacement for Rogers, and likewise Stannard for Knees.

thom

____
A nice article, that. I do wonder whether the French have settled into a chevalier seul habit, though.
Isn't part of their problem the funding though ? AG2R and FdJ are both top pro teams but Europcar are not, and I presume none of the 3 have massive budgets like Sky, meaning they wouldn't be able to acquire support riders in quite the same way. I wonder whether Sky will look to France for some new recruits to develop - supporting a French guy to a high place through Paris-Nice, or the Dauphine would certainly be good pr for Sky in france.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've said it before, but I think Rolland has been hanging around Tommy V too long. He needs to get out of Europcar and into a team with GC ambitions if he wants to become anything. Maybe Sky would be a good fit for him.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Isn't part of their problem the funding though ? AG2R and FdJ are both top pro teams but Europcar are not, and I presume none of the 3 have massive budgets like Sky, meaning they wouldn't be able to acquire support riders in quite the same way. I wonder whether Sky will look to France for some new recruits to develop - supporting a French guy to a high place through Paris-Nice, or the Dauphine would certainly be good pr for Sky in france.
Brailsford certainly looks like he's been keeping a close watch on French cycling. And, yes, a French Sky rider would really help garner support in France.

Though Rolland has some questions to answer regarding some fishy cortisone levels (or similar) @ final stage of Dauphine - according to cycling weekly (TDF edition).

Froome and Wiggins worked perfectly because Wiggins needed guiding up the mountains and had everyone beat when team mates were not allowed (TT). Froome is the best climber in the team making the Froome/Porte pairing vastly different to last years Sky's final duo. This years team leader is best at both climbing and time trialling. I think the result will see Froome on his own for many of a final climb. Doubt it will phase him though.

Wiggins needed an expert climber and he got one in Froome. It didn't hurt that he had 2 or 3 other great climbers in there too. The TT was simply something he was world class at already - a must have quality for those with GC aspirations. The quality which appears to have deserted Berti somewhat abruptly, at least at the Dauphine.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Taaramae watchers note: he's won his national championship - first in the road race, second to Kangert in the TT.

Not sure it's much of a sign of anything given the level of competition in Estonia though.

kedab

Veteran
it's getting exciting now...t-minus 6 days :hyper: i've never been bothered to find out what the T stands for in T minus...much the same as I've never really understood (or been bothered to find out) what the D stood for on D-Day...which is surprising given the number of books i have on ww2. one of which is called D-Day! (written by Antony Beevor, fyi)

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Arthur Vichot of FDJ won the French road title today so will be wearing the national champion's jersey at the Tour :bravo:

There were 5 FDJ riders in the top 10. :becool:

kedab

Veteran
T stands for Test. D stands for Day. Silly but true.
:thumbsup: D-Day (day of days? this is based purely on my obsession with Band of Brothers - the script has Winters saying this at the end of one of the episodes...he died quite recently, Major Richard Winters. What an incredible man he was).

back on topic - Noodley, a French Tour De France winner this year? What you say?

Top Bottom