This is an e-assist bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ebikes of various power are here to stay.

When I was in Reading last week, there were literally hundreds of ebikes being ridden all around the city centre delivering mainly fast food.

I know this is replicated in nearby cities, so critical mass has been achieved

Sounds like easy pickings for the police if they want to enforce the laws, just stand outside the city's takeaways and let the riders come to them.

Sounds like easy pickings for the police if they want to enforce the laws, just stand outside the city's takeaways and let the riders come to them.

I agree - but people seem to think it is still rife

Round here - and round where the relatives live - the problems seems to have greatly reduced for some reason
we even used to see people riding "ebikes" down the hard shoulder of the motorway - no pedalling and it looked fast so I assume they were illegal
but that has also stopped
Still see a few around - but not many

I wonder if the Police have done something - or if it has just stopped for other reasons

Drago

Legendary Member

Sadly that would probably be considered "directed surveillance" and fall foul of RIPA legislation.

We used to lurk just up the road from pubs at closing time and would tug likely ones that had staggered or wobbled from the bar to their cars, with a good 90% success rate, but RIPA put paid to that too.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Ebikes of various power are here to stay.

When I was in Reading last week, there were literally hundreds of ebikes being ridden all around the city centre delivering mainly fast food.

I know this is replicated in nearby cities, so critical mass has been achieved
Just get ready to start paying the extra to use them.
Then there'll be the test, the helmet(motorbike type approved). Sticking to the roads only.

I agree - but people seem to think it is still rife

Round here - and round where the relatives live - the problems seems to have greatly reduced for some reason
we even used to see people riding "ebikes" down the hard shoulder of the motorway - no pedalling and it looked fast so I assume they were illegal
but that has also stopped
Still see a few around - but not many

I wonder if the Police have done something - or if it has just stopped for other reasons

My ride yesteday, I saw 4 all illegal. 2 of them speeding on a public road and none of them delivery drivers. I also saw an Aussie style petrol-engined adapted bicycle but I hope they don't catch on over here!
Sadly that would probably be considered "directed surveillance" and fall foul of RIPA legislation.

We used to lurk just up the road from pubs at closing time and would tug likely ones that had staggered or wobbled from the bar to their cars, with a good 90% success rate, but RIPA put paid to that too.

Wan't RIPA to with electronic surveillence, I can't believe it would be problematic (for the Police) to walk up to the flocks of eBike delivery riders, detain them and check their bikes. They have already done in Leeds, and in other cities. I know you've mentioned its difficult for the police to know what to check for so maybe this is one of those times where a council officer or 2 could help with the identification of the bikes and the police can get the cuffs out :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
RIPA is for "directed surveillance", including electronic.

Strolling up to them or stopping them in public is fine. Lurking in wait for them isn't (with certain exceptions for a live crime in progress, wanted person, so on and so forth.)

RIPA is for "directed surveillance", including electronic.

Strolling up to them or stopping them in public is fine. Lurking in wait for them isn't (with certain exceptions for a live crime in progress, wanted person, so on and so forth.)

Gotcha cheers :okay:

richtea

> there were literally hundreds of ebikes being ridden all around the city centre

Rather that than hundreds more cars. And it's not like the cars delivering food are driven well either.

Drago

Legendary Member
And it's not like the cars delivering food are driven well either.

Or with business insurance in most cases.

Top Bottom