This is an e-assist bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Teach them properly? In the long run teaching someone properly the
once is more cost effective than bomboarding them constantly with e modules (which have been demonstrated as a very poor method of imparting knowledge) and they might actually learn something as a result.

This is what happens when HR (Human Remains)!takes over training instead of having experienced and qualified people deliver it. Someone somewhere will have been promoted off the back of e learning.

DRM

Guru
Leeds City centre is rammed with illegal E-Bikes, they're everywhere, badly ridden, I had one coming head on towards me on Wednesday on the wrong side of the road, which then continued along the pavement to pick up a Maccy-Dee's order

DRM

Guru
According to it's delivery rider this falls under the current epac regulations. The number plate is blank, just mounting screws in two slots.
Seen on Boar Lane, Leeds shortly before 5pm this evening.
He rode off on the pavement
View attachment 737190

A quick look on the Eskuta website shows that one that has pedals, that's a pedal assist bicycle, the SX250, they also sell an SX800 with no pedals that is an electric scooter that is a motorcycle that needs a CBT, Helmet, Registration & Insurance, as well as a licence

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
A quick look on the Eskuta website shows that one that has pedals, that's a pedal assist bicycle, the SX250, they also sell an SX800 with no pedals that is an electric scooter that is a motorcycle that needs a CBT, Helmet, Registration & Insurance, as well as a licence
Overweight, at 53kg, for the current EPAC regulations.
I'll admit it didn't look as though it met the weight criteria.

I didn't realise there was a weight regulation, it's definitely pushing the EPAC idea beyond what one really is

Yes - the idea is supposed to that it is basically a normal bike with a small amount of assistance

As usual some people/companies try to push it beyond the concept
and still keep it vaguely legal - then let the person who bought it - possibly believing it was OK - that it was OK if the Police take it away

Yes - the idea is supposed to that it is basically a normal bike with a small amount of assistance

As usual some people/companies try to push it beyond the concept
and still keep it vaguely legal - then let the person who bought it - possibly believing it was OK - that it was OK if the Police take it away

I remember there being weight limits for the older uk ebike regulations I think but I don't remember seeing any for the later European regulations and there are many extremely heavy cargo ebikes from Europe so it seems unlikely there would be such a regulation.

Ultimately these ebikes appear to be legal even if you realistically can only ghost pedal them and not really put much effort in yourself because of the awkward pedal location.

If you can only realistically ghost pedal them then you are restricted to only about 15.5mph which is painfully slow compared to normal bikes and ebikes with normal gearing unless you are going downhill.

If you can only realistically ghost pedal them then you are restricted to only about 15.5mph which is painfully slow compared to normal bikes and ebikes with normal gearing unless you are going downhill.

Not really round here - When I am on my ebike I generally pass - or at least catch up with - most other bikes on the road except proper cyclists in lycra and on a road bike

Anyone on a hybrid or MTB and I am likely to catch them - and as my ebike is legal and I am not really at all fit, then this means I cruise at around 15-17 mph on the flat assuming there is not an especially bad head wind.

Other areas where there are a lot of fairly fit people commuting on bikes may well be different so I can only speak for this particular area.

Not really round here - When I am on my ebike I generally pass - or at least catch up with - most other bikes on the road except proper cyclists in lycra and on a road bike

Anyone on a hybrid or MTB and I am likely to catch them - and as my ebike is legal and I am not really at all fit, then this means I cruise at around 15-17 mph on the flat assuming there is not an especially bad head wind.

Other areas where there are a lot of fairly fit people commuting on bikes may well be different so I can only speak for this particular area.

My point is this Eskuta is only a single gear and you can only ghost pedal it so apart from downhill its pretty much limited to 15.5mph so half the speed of a real moped. Normal ebikes with gears will be much faster. I'm guessing there might be an illegal way to unrestrict it though but that is another matter.

My point is this Eskuta is only a single gear and you can only ghost pedal it so apart from downhill its pretty much limited to 15.5mph so half the speed of a real moped. Normal ebikes with gears will be much faster. I'm guessing there might be an illegal way to unrestrict it though but that is another matter.

normal LEGAL ebikes with gears can be faster - but the ones I have seen are normally not
they are normally travelling at or around the cutoff speed - for obvious reasons

assuming they are not going downhill anyway

Non legal ebikes are, of course, a different matter

Aescott

Deliveroo pays riders £13 an hour, according to their website. That’s a hell of a lot of deliveries to make to pay for one of these e-bikes. Given that many of the riders do not appear to be lottery winners, where do they get the mo et to fund the purchases?

Deliveroo pays riders £13 an hour, according to their website. That’s a hell of a lot of deliveries to make to pay for one of these e-bikes. Given that many of the riders do not appear to be lottery winners, where do they get the mo et to fund the purchases?

Some might be doing other jobs as well

or delivering "Other Things"

still a lot of money - although they probably get them cheaper than the price on the WWW

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
They seem to be giving them away up here. One of many such adverts.
1716643091775.png

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Deliveroo pays riders £13 an hour

I'm surprised at that. It seems a decent enough rate, but I assumed they were paid by the job i.e. they are logged into an app, a job comes up and they claim it, then get paid for that job. If they're getting an hourly rate then that would seem a much more sustainable way of earning. I've seen some people get paid per job and it's worked out at less than minimum wage per hour if it's a particularly small order and a long ride

I'm surprised at that. It seems a decent enough rate, but I assumed they were paid by the job i.e. they are logged into an app, a job comes up and they claim it, then get paid for that job. If they're getting an hourly rate then that would seem a much more sustainable way of earning. I've seen some people get paid per job and it's worked out at less than minimum wage per hour if it's a particularly small order and a long ride

Looking at Mcd's and teh otehr take-aways it seems that round here they are all using cars now
very seldom see a bike and the people inside waiting for an order all all driving not riding

so I presume there must be some money in it for them
somehow anyway

Top Bottom