This is an e-assist bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
According to it's delivery rider this falls under the current epac regulations. The number plate is blank, just mounting screws in two slots.
Seen on Boar Lane, Leeds shortly before 5pm this evening.
He rode off on the pavement
IMG_20240711_165327.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Followed something very similar across Coldham's Common in Cambridge this afternoon. The rider (complete with ubiquitous insulated food delivery backpack) didn't even pretent to pedal, just cruised along at a little under 20mph with his feet on the centre board. Did give a decent slipstream though.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Looking at the Q factor on that it would be pretty uncomfortable to pedal far. It reminds me of the sports mopeds of the 70s where as long as it had pedals and didn't exceed 50cc, and nominally had restricted performance, it was a moped. Manufacturers stretched the limits in pursuit of sales. Of course there was a lot more enforcement then. In this case it's pretending to be an e bike and failing. Bearing in mind how well the sports moped story went (not) ending up with more legislation and restrictions on what you could ride, affecting the majority of law abiding riders in order to clamp down on the minority of mickey takers, it doesn't bode well for ebikers in the future. This isn't helped by a media that apparently can't tell the difference between an e bike and an e motorcycle.

Thing is - is a Police officer stopped it for "other reasons" how many of them would be able to check if it was actually a legal ebike?

how many have the knowledge
and in fact, resources available to check it?

never mind the time

JohnHughes307

Über Member
Yes back in the 70's we got one of my mates to demonstrate how his FS1E could be pedalled. He had to pedal like Cav on a sprint finish and was barely fast enough to maintain his balance.

My mate had one that turned the engine via the pedals this then moved the bike via the clutch and the four speed gearbox. Even with the clutch engaged it wasn't possible to rotate the pedals consistently unless you removed the spark plug - the idea of moving it that way was laughable. It was basically trying to power a motorcycle via the kickstart 😁

Drago

Legendary Member
Thing is - is a Police officer stopped it for "other reasons" how many of them would be able to check if it was actually a legal ebike?

how many have the knowledge
and in fact, resources available to check it?

never mind the time

They're educated to check for the compliance plate/decal, that must be fitted and visible if it is to be legal. That is a very simple check.

Any doubt and they can call for a vehicle examiner to attend. Sadly there aren't many qualified VEs about any more.

They're educated to check for the compliance plate/decal, that must be fitted and visible if it is to be legal. That is a very simple check.

Any doubt and they can call for a vehicle examiner to attend. Sadly there aren't many qualified VEs about any more.

Ok - I thought they would be
but if that "education" is anything like some of the "training sessions" I had as a teacher then it would be a 30 minute talk after normal work on a wet cold Tuesday evening
and we were expected to remember and stick to it 5 years later

clearly they can easily check for a throttle I suppose but it would require a QE (?????) to check whether or not it only took the bike to 6 mph or was a full throttle
Motor cut off speed would need a proper check

all in all - would a copper on duty want to spend the time and energy checking it out for a minor offence
of course - if it is a moped that could open up other offences such as helmet and reg number stuff which could make it worthwhile

sorry - just woffling

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I doubt many of these get stopped unless they look blatantly obvious like the one pictured (i.e. a scooter). Even then, would the Police even bother to stop/persue, given that some riders may take off through some bollards or in to a pedestrianised area? There was a news article in our local rag a while ago where an "e-cyclist" had been hit, and the van driver left the scene. They even showed a picture of the rider's machine (basically an e-motocross bike with no plates). There was no mention of the man riding the machine illegally on the road, I wonder if they took any action on the rider at all

figbat

Slippery scientist
My mate had one that turned the engine via the pedals this then moved the bike via the clutch and the four speed gearbox. Even with the clutch engaged it wasn't possible to rotate the pedals consistently unless you removed the spark plug - the idea of moving it that way was laughable. It was basically trying to power a motorcycle via the kickstart 😁

I had a Honda PA50 “Camino” which had pedals and a 49cc engine. You pedalled to start it and if you wanted to propel it by only the pedals there was a clutch on the rear pulley (it was belt driven) that disconnected the engine from the belt (the engine was with the rear wheel). I did pedal it occasionally when out of fuel, but it was very short geared and the ergonomics were terrible.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ok - I thought they would be
but if that "education" is anything like some of the "training sessions" I had as a teacher then it would be a 30 minute talk after normal work on a wet cold Tuesday evening...

I doubt it's even that good. More like an online module through which they keep clicking the mouse without reading and then bluff their way through the 4 question knowledge check at the end.

I doubt it's even that good. More like an online module through which they keep clicking the mouse without reading and then bluff their way through the 4 question knowledge check at the end.

Yes - and like with teachering - they are determined to be "trained"

but what else can they do with the time, money and staff available

Top Bottom