They've Lost My Frame!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Another point, if I may, I see that Royal Mail and ParcelForce are now owned by an American company; that being so, and due to the reality that posting services in America are dismal, one should not expect any improvement in UK mail deliveries, ever.

By the way, is everything British now owned by foreign concerns? I always liked Altoids - made in Wales I thought, but now I find the firm was bought by an American company, which moved the entire manufacturing equipment to the US, and Altoids are now made in Tennessee. I no longer buy Altoids, the same with Cadbury's. I'm running out of British companies to support.

Not true.

Venod

Eh up
By the way, is everything British now owned by foreign concerns? I always liked Altoids - made in Wales
I have never heard of Altoids before, on looking them up their tin collection through the years is impressive.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Another point, if I may, I see that Royal Mail and ParcelForce are now owned by an American company; that being so, and due to the reality that posting services in America are dismal, one should not expect any improvement in UK mail deliveries, ever.

By the way, is everything British now owned by foreign concerns? I always liked Altoids - made in Wales I thought, but now I find the firm was bought by an American company, which moved the entire manufacturing equipment to the US, and Altoids are now made in Tennessee. I no longer buy Altoids, the same with Cadbury's. I'm running out of British companies to support.

Yes it is hard to think of any British company which is British! Ex Prime Minister Harold McMillan once said I think it was to the then Tory government that they were selling off the family silver!

Last edited:

PaulSB

Squire
Yes it is hard to think of any British company which is British! Ex Prime Minister once said I think it was to the then Tory government that they were selling off the family silver!

It was Harold MacMillan commenting on Thatcher's privatisation policy.

PaulSB

Squire
Uh, oh! I'm planning to post a bag from Penzance to John o' Groats in a few weeks (LeJog) using Parcelforce, is there another postage service from a post office - does Royal Mail still function?
Just returning to this point. I wouldn't hesitate to use Royal Mail to deliver a parcel for me. It sounds like it's important stuff but time isn't an issue. Use "Recorded Delivery" or "Signed for Delivery." The two phrases refer to exactly the same service. If time isn't the issue you could use 2nd Class, its cheaper. Personally I would use "Next Day" Delivery - these get priority and have less time stuck in a warehouse to get lost.

Our local postman, we live in a very small village and know him well, delivers all the signed for packages first and then the regular mail.

All parcel companies have their issues. One, I forget which, once informed me by text "your parcel is out for delivery today." Great but that happened on ten consecutive days and tracking showed it in a warehouse 100 miles away.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Just returning to this point. I wouldn't hesitate to use Royal Mail to deliver a parcel for me. It sounds like it's important stuff but time isn't an issue. Use "Recorded Delivery" or "Signed for Delivery." The two phrases refer to exactly the same service. If time isn't the issue you could use 2nd Class, its cheaper. Personally I would use "Next Day" Delivery - these get priority and have less time stuck in a warehouse to get lost.

Our local postman, we live in a very small village and know him well, delivers all the signed for packages first and then the regular mail.

All parcel companies have their issues. One, I forget which, once informed me by text "your parcel is out for delivery today." Great but that happened on ten consecutive days and tracking showed it in a warehouse 100 miles away.

Up to this point they have been fine . It has arrived from Yorkshire twice with no problem. Obviously someone down South doesn't know the difference between Leeds and London! :angry:

Top Bottom