The Space Enthusiasts' Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Apollo 11 went to the Moon when I was 9. James Burke did the BBC coverage, introduced by that music. It always makes me think of being allowed to stay up well past my bedtime to watch it on telly, rather than the 2001 film!

I have the same memory. As a little boy I loved all space stuff; apollo rockets and amazing photos from the big mount palomar telescopes. Loved that opening music which I too associate much more with Apollo than Kubrick. Somehow thougth it was The Planets rather than Strauss so was duly bought the record as a 6 year old. Planets is good too, and so began a lifetime of classical music listening. Never actually managed to hear Zarathustra live - though there was a concert where it was billed and ignorant plebs in the audience applauded after the first bit, which the comductor graciously acknowledged, then there was a long pause which went on longer and longer. Apparently my face was remenicant of Andre Previn's expression on the Morcambe & Wise episode as I realised they weren't actually going to play the rest of it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Most likely internet bull. Andromeda would have to be pretty bright to be seen like that and you wouldn't be able to see all the fine detail as that is only caught in timed exposures. Andromeda to the naked eye is really just a fuzzy blob. It is, however, moving towards us so it might look like that in millons of years from now:smile:. BTW, the moon is moving away from us at about the same rate as your fingernails grow. I'm not sure about the rest of the solar system, but we do know that planets weren't always in the same orbits they are now. One thing for sure, like my career development, it's all happening at a very slow speed!.
I think that's the point... the fuzzy blob we see is just the brightest bit of its core.

Top Bottom