The Social Consequences of Hypermobility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
Well the prediction at the start of that has not come true.
"In 1950 the average Briton traveled about 5 miles a day. Now it is about 30 miles a day, and forecast to double by 2025 (see Figure 1)."

Https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...ional-travel-survey-2022-factsheet-accessible.

In fact it has fallen since 2002, not risen. Though according to that survey it wasn't as much as 30 miles per day even in 2002, it was about 20 miles.

Paper published 2001

Mobility is liberating and empowering. But it is possible to have too much of a good thing. The
growth in the numbers exercising their freedom and power is fouling the planet and jamming its
arteries. Prodigious technological efforts are now being made to solve the problems of pollution
and congestion caused by the growth of motorized mobility. Let us suppose that they succeed.

I was in the middle of typing the same thing as Alex and sharing the same link. Although I expect NTS does not include air travel - and I suspect that's a biggy. The people I know who take foreign holidays, now take several a year.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was in the middle of typing the same thing as Alex and sharing the same link. Although I expect NTS does not include air travel - and I suspect that's a biggy. The people I know who take foreign holidays, now take several a year.
I suspect the vast majority of people don't care a jot and it won't be until no longer financially attractive that it will slow down.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH, I find air travel and stuff quite stressful. My wife has found the stress goes out of me, this year, since we started camping. Love it, not too far 3 hours was max travel (door to door), but that's only 120 mile drive into North Wales, but the trips to Bala and near Harlech have been amazing for me. Don't need to go far for experiences ! I can't be doing with the faff to get somewhere.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS we also forget we live in a very lovely country - yeh, weather can be a bit rubbish, but it's lush and green. Go get out in it !

tyred

Legendary Member
I haven't sat on a plane since a work trip in 2009 and it's quite possible I never will again. I hate flying and I hate airports and find both stressful. A few days pottering around Galloway on a Brompton and taking time to look over hedges and stop to examine anything of interest that I see, or talk to random strangers has completely de-stressed me.

Jameshow

Veteran
I haven't sat on a plane since a work trip in 2009 and it's quite possible I never will again. I hate flying and I hate airports and find both stressful. A few days pottering around Galloway on a Brompton and taking time to look over hedges and stop to examine anything of interest that I see, or talk to random strangers has completely de-stressed me.

Yeap been to enough places in the world from USA to Indian to think I haven't missed much tbh.

Perhaps African or south America would be worth a visit?

Top Bottom