The Social Consequences of Hypermobility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
But the Daily Mail says there's a paedo lurking around every corner!

Indeed, but I suspect most nonces are dodgy stepdads / uncles, or people with some authority over the kids rather than the much feared strangers

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
Just don't consider the externalities of all that travel.
Like this:
1719066338078.png

We've been building a car based society in many parts of the country since maybe the 60s, with the decline of local amenities, the construction of housing with no shops or anything like that, and out-of-town shopping.
We still are, probably as much as ever. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53050801

Oddballs like my late mother are few and far between - she used to walk 4 miles into town and get the bus back with her shopping, and refused all offers of a lift.
When I lost the use of the car I was hopping mad at first, but I quickly got used to walking 2m round trip to Tesco because I had to, so then when I got my licence back I decided not to put it back on the road again.
Do t start me on school runs. I walk Mini D the 0.6 miles to school, and halfway there I see people reversing off their driveways to drive their kids what is for me the final 300 meters. Fat, lazy, selfish, polluting fools raising a new generation of fat, lazy, selfish, polluting fools.
It's not just their own car use either, the congestion they cause increases the pollution from all the other traffic they hold up. I queued for 0.76 miles every morning for mums taking the kids to school.

Drago

Legendary Member
One thing I see now...

As chucking out time there isn't room for all the cars to park. No worries, those thwt live 3 or 4 hu died metres away that I walk past on the way down, well they drive down to the school and just go up and down very slowly between the two roundabouts. When they see their fat offspring they stop and the road and hold up the traffic while doing so.

They must drive 3 or 4 miles some days in their efforts to avoid an 800 metre round trip on foot. They put so much effort into being lazy I honestly wonder why they bother.

I just can't fathom what is so repellant about a shortish stroll at a moderate pace. Is it really that bad?

One thing I see now...

As chucking out time there isn't room for all the cars to park. No worries, those thwt live 3 or 4 hu died metres away that I walk past on the way down, well they drive down to the school and just go up and down very slowly between the two roundabouts. When they see their fat offspring they stop and the road and hold up the traffic while doing so.

They must drive 3 or 4 miles some days in their efforts to avoid an 800 metre round trip on foot. They put so much effort into being lazy I honestly wonder why they bother.

I just can't fathom what is so repellant about a shortish stroll at a moderate pace. Is it really that bad?

"But the traffic is so bad these days it's dangerous..."
Indeed, but I suspect most nonces are dodgy stepdads / uncles, or people with some authority over the kids rather than the much feared strangers

Indeed, for the clients I have whose problems cam be traced back to this, it is Aunts and Teachers who caused the problem.

Last edited:
People are allergic to sweating. It also means not having to talk to other parents.

Twilkes

Guru
Indeed you despair when 39% of parents are driving kids to primary school, when it’s less than one mile from home. Even post primary school it’s still 29%. This is Northern Ireland stats.

View attachment 734985

How many of those parents then drive onwards to work though, i.e. those journeys would be made anyway?

I cycle my son to school. just under a mile, but it's a good 25 minute walk with a slow 7 year old, not everyone can budget that time on a work morning.

Drago

Legendary Member
How many of those parents then drive onwards to work though, i.e. those journeys would be made anyway?

From what I have seen, having done the school bimble to multiple schools over 3+ decades now, very few.

The same suspects are almost all there in the afternoon, and over the years I figure where most of them live as I see their cars backing off the drive...and then see them parked up again as I walk home.

That old excuse gets trotted out a lot, but it's only a very tiny proportion to whom it genuinely applies.

Actually it is just called freedom. I think I detect the fact the author of that long diatribe just hates automobiles.

Top Bottom