The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
30,000 for the DAY......... I've only done 63,089 for the week :sad:

That's still a decent amount.

It's still time-out on what is optimum for an average older person. There is a balance between preserving good health and not accelerating wear on the body, particularly joints.

10000 steps was originally chosen arbitrarily as it was a simple to understand figure. May have emanated in Japan but I may be mistaken on this.

Some current advice suggests that around 8000 steps each day, every day, is a sensible target for us ancient-ish types. ^_^

But there are so many variables and every individual is well... individual!

I did a reasonable amount of research into keeping fit and active in old age when I turned 60 and, without getting 'preachy', my biggest takeout was this: cardio is great but don't forget resistance traning for the musculoskeletal system. Many people do forget the latter. The fall-off in musculoskeletal capability starts early (c40) and accelerates alarmingly after 60 unless you actively do something about it.

Worth remembering and acting on I think.

Afternoon all, just back from another cold and wet but enjoyable walk, this one along Findhorn Beach, on the Moray coast. Was wearing two merino vests, a light fleece, an outer jacket, a full winter goretex, along with overtrousers, woolly hat and gloves ! And I wasn’t overly warm ! We parked at Findhorn and walked along the beach to near Roseisle where we had our sandwiches. The tide was coming in so we took the Moray Coast path to return. We had been mostly dry until lunchtime but got pretty wet on the way back. Not much wildlife showing, an osprey, a few seals, a few gannets and ringed plovers.
Found a nice cafe in Forres in the drive back for tea and cake.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello! I dropped on to CC to ask for a bit of help with a ride I'm planning. I will be celebrating my 70th by riding the Trans Pennine Trail, I need a bit of local knowledge from Lincolnshire.

I thought it would be very rude of me not to pop in here and say hello. Is everyone keeping well, I do hope so? Keeping out of trouble? Probably not!!! :laugh: It's always better to be in a little bit of trouble, growing old disgracefully is a good plan.......I think.

I can't remember the last time I was in here, sometime ago I know. In the last year or so I've taken some biggish steps. I realised my life was full of things I didn't really want to do or have time for. I've cleared all those out and feel much better for it. We've had some big events; granddaughter number two arrived last autumn and we have recently heard #3 will be with us in December. Another granddaughter, they can't keep a secret, and I'm getting seriously worried the male line will run out................:laugh:

In less cheerful news Mrs P was diagnosed with bowel cancer in the autumn. Successful surgery has removed the growth and she's about to start the fourth and final round of chemo next week. The first round of chemo was horrific. Indescribable. Mrs P was hospitalised for 15 days after the treatment to aid her recovery from the side-effects of the treatment. It was dreadful. The subsequent rounds have been on a reduced and tolerable dosage.

Lots of other little stuff but none of us have time for a book. I hope all is and will continue to go well for you all.

Nice to hear from you again. Glad Mrs P is better

Loved this photo from the BBC your pictures of Scotland this week, sums up our holiday so far !
IMG_0691.jpeg

Your pictures of Scotland https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cgrrgyygrnxo

classic33

Leg End Member
Same here, overcast, cool and the clouds are gathering for rain later tonight.
They're refilling for later, when you're having a parade!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Hello! I dropped on to CC to ask for a bit of help with a ride I'm planning. I will be celebrating my 70th by riding the Trans Pennine Trail, I need a bit of local knowledge from Lincolnshire.

I thought it would be very rude of me not to pop in here and say hello. Is everyone keeping well, I do hope so? Keeping out of trouble? Probably not!!! :laugh: It's always better to be in a little bit of trouble, growing old disgracefully is a good plan.......I think.

I can't remember the last time I was in here, sometime ago I know. In the last year or so I've taken some biggish steps. I realised my life was full of things I didn't really want to do or have time for. I've cleared all those out and feel much better for it. We've had some big events; granddaughter number two arrived last autumn and we have recently heard #3 will be with us in December. Another granddaughter, they can't keep a secret, and I'm getting seriously worried the male line will run out................:laugh:

In less cheerful news Mrs P was diagnosed with bowel cancer in the autumn. Successful surgery has removed the growth and she's about to start the fourth and final round of chemo next week. The first round of chemo was horrific. Indescribable. Mrs P was hospitalised for 15 days after the treatment to aid her recovery from the side-effects of the treatment. It was dreadful. The subsequent rounds have been on a reduced and tolerable dosage.

Lots of other little stuff but none of us have time for a book. I hope all is and will continue to go well for you all.

Good to hear from you. Sorry about Mrs PB’s illness, but, pleased to hear she is recovering.

Top Bottom