The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Living in the sticks we usually have lots of flies about in the summer.

We have had only two in the house so far this year and when we do the garden we are normally plagued with them. Cut the lawn yesterday and not a single one was seen.

Significant drop in spider alerts (shrieks) from Mrs SD too.

These are what we use. We have nearly 6 acres of land. The first year we were here we couldn't go into the garden as there were so many flies. Its was like a black swarm.

We bought these from Amazon the next year and within a get weeks as soon as they started to work the fly problem dropped by 90%. You put a certain amount of water into them and it attracts the females. They go inside and can't get out, so you don't get them breeding. They are brilliant but you don't want to put them too close to your house because with thousands of flies in them, they do smell a bit. At the end of the season we just put them into a black bin bag and put them in with the normal rubbish. I think you might be able to put them onto a compost heap as well it you want.

Screenshot_20240609_110530_Amazon Shopping~2.jpg

Tenkaykev

Guru
Daughter just sent a photo of granddaughter next to a statue of Mary Anning. They have popped down to Lyme Regis as it's the Fossil Festival this weekend. Glorious weather for it too☀️☀️
Granddaughter has recently been learning about the life of Mary Anning, and she's fascinated by fossils, perhaps this will awaken an ongoing interest 🤔

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Daughter just sent a photo of granddaughter next to a statue of Mary Anning. They have popped down to Lyme Regis as it's the Fossil Festival this weekend. Glorious weather for it too☀️☀️
Granddaughter has recently been learning about the life of Mary Anning, and she's fascinated by fossils, perhaps this will awaken an ongoing interest 🤔

Crikey, Lyme Regis, not been there for over 50 years.

My mate & I (17 at the time) took our girlfriends of the moment there for a week of camping etc.

Pitched our 2 little tents too close together - listening to them 'at it' was disconcerting. :ohmy: :rolleyes:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We had roast pork, peas, potatoes, stuffing and gravy

PaulSB

Squire
Hello! I dropped on to CC to ask for a bit of help with a ride I'm planning. I will be celebrating my 70th by riding the Trans Pennine Trail, I need a bit of local knowledge from Lincolnshire.

I thought it would be very rude of me not to pop in here and say hello. Is everyone keeping well, I do hope so? Keeping out of trouble? Probably not!!! :laugh: It's always better to be in a little bit of trouble, growing old disgracefully is a good plan.......I think.

I can't remember the last time I was in here, sometime ago I know. In the last year or so I've taken some biggish steps. I realised my life was full of things I didn't really want to do or have time for. I've cleared all those out and feel much better for it. We've had some big events; granddaughter number two arrived last autumn and we have recently heard #3 will be with us in December. Another granddaughter, they can't keep a secret, and I'm getting seriously worried the male line will run out................:laugh:

In less cheerful news Mrs P was diagnosed with bowel cancer in the autumn. Successful surgery has removed the growth and she's about to start the fourth and final round of chemo next week. The first round of chemo was horrific. Indescribable. Mrs P was hospitalised for 15 days after the treatment to aid her recovery from the side-effects of the treatment. It was dreadful. The subsequent rounds have been on a reduced and tolerable dosage.

Lots of other little stuff but none of us have time for a book. I hope all is and will continue to go well for you all.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hello! I dropped on to CC to ask for a bit of help with a ride I'm planning. I will be celebrating my 70th by riding the Trans Pennine Trail, I need a bit of local knowledge from Lincolnshire.

I thought it would be very rude of me not to pop in here and say hello. Is everyone keeping well, I do hope so? Keeping out of trouble? Probably not!!! :laugh: It's always better to be in a little bit of trouble, growing old disgracefully is a good plan.......I think.

I can't remember the last time I was in here, sometime ago I know. In the last year or so I've taken some biggish steps. I realised my life was full of things I didn't really want to do or have time for. I've cleared all those out and feel much better for it. We've had some big events; granddaughter number two arrived last autumn and we have recently heard #3 will be with us in December. Another granddaughter, they can't keep a secret, and I'm getting seriously worried the male line will run out................:laugh:

In less cheerful news Mrs P was diagnosed with bowel cancer in the autumn. Successful surgery has removed the growth and she's about to start the fourth and final round of chemo next week. The first round of chemo was horrific. Indescribable. Mrs P was hospitalised for 15 days after the treatment to aid her recovery from the side-effects of the treatment. It was dreadful. The subsequent rounds have been on a reduced and tolerable dosage.

Lots of other little stuff but none of us have time for a book. I hope all is and will continue to go well for you all.

Sorry to hear about Mrs P, Paul.

Good News that she is making progress and long may it continue.

Your informative posts have been missed!

Thanks for dropping by. 👍

Top Bottom