The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Try watching a few party political broadcasts.
I get agitated and start shouting at the screen! :laugh:

In other news...

I went out for a sunny local evening ride. I decided to add an extra hill so I was proceeding up Bacup Rd, aiming to turn right at Clough Foot and climb up through Sourhall and over to Portsmouth on the A646 for a fast run back down into Todmorden.

I was looking down at my GPS just before I went round a bend, and looked up to find a car stationary in the middle of my lane with its hazard warning flashers going. I slowed down to go round it and saw another car on the other side of the road ahead, also with the flashers on. A group of people were standing about apparently chatting about the weather or the latest Covid-19 stats...

I was about to start tutting to myself about it when I spotted a bike leaning against a wall beside the road. And then I spotted a body lying on the tarmac...

Oh crap... CYCLIST DOWN!!! :ohmy:

I had a dreadful sick feeling in my stomach, remembering that a cyclist had been killed on that stretch of road a few years back. I was about to stop to see if I could do anything but then the body started to move. The cyclist was a tall, slim man, probably about my age. He was helped to his feet and with assistance managed to walk off the road so I assumed that he was not badly hurt. I heard one of the bystanders phoning for an ambulance. Something had happened (no point in speculating what - I didn't witness it) and I reckon that the cyclist might have banged his head because he had been immobile for some time as I'd approached. He'd had some good people stop to help him.

I kept thinking about it on my way back and was shocked to realise that I had no recollection of cycling for over 2 kms of the A646, so I must have been riding on auto-pilot! :eek:

classic33

Leg End Member

In other news...

I went out for a sunny local evening ride. I decided to add an extra hill so I was proceeding up Bacup Rd, aiming to turn right at Clough Foot and climb up through Sourhall and over to Portsmouth on the A646 for a fast run back down into Todmorden.

I was looking down at my GPS just before I went round a bend, and looked up to find a car stationary in the middle of my lane with its hazard warning flashers going. I slowed down to go round it and saw another car on the other side of the road ahead, also with the flashers on. A group of people were standing about apparently chatting about the weather or the latest Covid-19 stats...

I was about to start tutting to myself about it when I spotted a bike leaning against a wall beside the road. And then I spotted a body lying on the tarmac...

I had a dreadful sick feeling in my stomach, remembering that a cyclist had been killed on that stretch of road a few years back. I was about to stop to see if I could do anything but then the body started to move. The cyclist was a tall, slim man, probably about my age. He was helped to his feet and with assistance managed to walk off the road so I assumed that he was not badly hurt. I heard one of the bystanders phoning for an ambulance. Something had happened (no point in speculating what - I didn't witness it) and I reckon that the cyclist might have banged his head because he had been immobile for some time as I'd approached. He'd had some good people stop to help him.

I kept thinking about it on my way back and was shocked to realise that I had no recollection of cycling for over 2 kms of the A646, so I must have been riding on auto-pilot! :eek:

Hope the cyclist is okay, not too badly hurt.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hope the cyclist is okay, not too badly hurt.
Me too. He wasn't too wobbly on his feet as they walked him to the pavement.

Pretty sobering to come round a corner and find a cyclist laid out on the road. That is the second time I've seen that. The other one was on Greenhow Hill out of Pateley Bridge and he was very badly knocked up!

12boy

Guru
Hadn't ridden my Holdsworth much after converting it to SS for a change so today I went for a little ride. I've got it set up with 47/16 gearing and nice 35mm slicks and with its long wheelbase and a well broken leather saddle it is very comfortable. For some reason, a well fitting, fairly light simple singlespeed really appeals from time to time. Don't think I mentioned that after taking my truck to get new front tires, the guys there replaced the rear instead of front tires. The tires are 20 years old and they said they can't put them back on since they are over 10 years old so , and since it was their mistake, they've ordered 2 more tires which they will provide for free. How about that? Not the sort of thing l would expect. Here's a pic of the Holdsworth in a path racer sort of vibe.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hadn't ridden my Holdsworth much after converting it to SS for a change so today I went for a little ride. I've got it set up with 47/16 gearing and nice 35mm slicks and with its long wheelbase and a well broken leather saddle it is very comfortable. For some reason, a well fitting, fairly light simple singlespeed really appeals from time to time. Don't think I mentioned that after taking my truck to get new front tires, the guys there replaced the rear instead of front tires. The tires are 20 years old and they said they can't put them back on since they are over 10 years old so , and since it was their mistake, they've ordered 2 more tires which they will provide for free. How about that? Not the sort of thing l would expect. Here's a pic of the Holdsworth in a path racer sort of vibe. View attachment 547226
You getting the third as a spare, for when you next change the tyres.

12boy

Guru
It is a bought new 94 bare bones Toyota pickup with 167 k miles and I am hoping those 4 new tires last as long as the truck and I will. At this point l don't drive 1k miles a year in it. I had been driving a 73 VW bus just before I got the pickup. Having actual heat and defrosting in the Wyoming winters was divine after freezing my huevos in the bus. Still, l do miss the old buses I've owned.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have risen!

Dave7

Legendary Member

In other news...

Not nice.
I hope you manage to erase it from your mind quickly.

Top Bottom